Just How Good is Gareth Bale?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
I’ve been meaning to write this article for some time, and with goal nets in the Midlands and East Anglia still rippling from Gareth Bale wonder goals, when better to dissect the merits of our favourite Welshman? Still, part of me wonders if my timing is actually a bit off; I wouldn’t want this to be seen as one of those reactionary football pieces (heaven forbid!) Because you see, my opinion of the quality of the player hasn’t really changed [...]

Continue reading...

A club 'Player of the year' award is a bit different to the same award in a tournament to me. In a tournament the award literally goes to the 'best player' in the league/cup. At a club it means the player that has beaten the fans expectations by the biggest margin.

In terms of Bale's 'worth' to Spurs, he is irreplaceable - there is no amount that would enable us to buy a better player in his position......£50m isn't enough......£100m isn't enough

Was there a question of who is the best player? If all players from the team were put to auction, Bale would fetch the biggest price, by far. I agree with the point on Bale being irreplaceable. Simply, there is no player in the world that can do what he does for us.

If there is a price tag to be set on Bale, I think it should be above the £80 million tag set by Ronaldo. Bale is younger, as electric, and we have Levy to increase the price.

I'm interested that lots of people seem to think he will leave in the summer. He will only be sold for £50+ and how many teams can afford that? Can't see him going to another English team so it leaves PSG Anzi or the two Spanish Giants. Can't see him in France or Russia and will those two pay that price ? We shall see.

I genuinely think he's going to give us one more season regardless. In the grand scheme of things I couldn't give a shit, he's only a player, but Bale is one of those players that is worth every penny to go watch.

I'm interested that lots of people seem to think he will leave in the summer. He will only be sold for £50+ and how many teams can afford that? Can't see him going to another English team so it leaves PSG Anzi or the two Spanish Giants. Can't see him in France or Russia and will those two pay that price ? We shall see.

Yeah but he can't stay at 'little old Spurs' forever.

Fuck em all, we're Tottenham Hotspur.

A club 'Player of the year' award is a bit different to the same award in a tournament to me. In a tournament the award literally goes to the 'best player' in the league/cup. At a club it means the player that has beaten the fans expectations by the biggest margin.

Yep, we tend to 'handicap' the better players (for want of a better word) to even up the playing field a bit, which is fine. I guess the article is mainly about trying to appreciate the talent the guy has and not getting too bogged down in comparisons with other players or even comparisons with his own potential, which can be distracting.

Not saying he can't be criticized after a poor(er) performance, but some people are too quick to say 'take the money, he's not worth £40/50m' after a couple of less memorable games.

I truly hope Bale is never sold, and becomes a legend. I do think this is realistic. The only two options in terms of money are Anzi, PSG, Real, and Barca. Going to Barca, he will get less time and i'm not sure his style would fit Barca's. As stated above, a young player like Bale, in the EPL, is a world star, moving to PSG or Anzi are not very appealing. That leaves Real. I see Real as our biggest threat. If/when Ronaldo leaves, i do think all of that money will be thrown at Bale. Bale is the obvious backup for Ronaldo. I do think that if Bale doesn't leave after next summer, he will be here for the majority of his career.

He is an absolute wonder and joy to behold. I loved Ginola, but I now rate Bale as better.

Of the current crop of players, him and Hugo are the only two that get in my all-time Spurs 18, both on the bench.

One day Bale might make my first XI, but I don't know how, because I can never drop Cliff Jones, Greaves, Hodd or Mackay. And I always want Klinsmann and Gazza in, decisions, decisions:)

Ah damn it, I'll play 3 at the back King England Knowles, with Big Pat in goal, he'll save all the shots anyway.

Ginola will always remain an absolute hero of mine, he was a bright light in a few very bleak seasons in the late nineties. What makes Bale better though is his consistency.

Same. Growing up in the late 90's/early 00's watching Spurs there wasn't too much to cheer about or many fantastic players, but he was certainly one of them.

Back
Top Bottom