Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You do not have the players to press mate. If you do they are on crutches or on their knees. Lose Lo Celso right now and any team can give you a hiding, potentially.

Jose is using incredible tactical nous to keep things together, albeit in an ugly fashion.
He couldn't set up a team to do that if he tried, and he's tried like against Villa when we just went in one's and two's, and they played right through us.

Every team is more or less playing us off the park and it doesn't matter if we are sat in a low or mid-block or if we are trying to press.

We were shit and got played off the park when he played Son and Kane together mate!!

It's getting toxic because Jose's attempts of expectation management are truly disturbing. He's done a 180-degree turn in less than 3months. Whether he's right or wrong about the specifics of Parrott's game people know that he's done this with Rashford and Martial when he was at Utd. same with Lukakku, Salah and de Bryune and it wasn't well-received by the fans at Utd either, it was one of his nails in his coffin without any doubt.

The injuries are real but how he's dealing with them also need to be scrutinised. Moaning about them does what exactly? By doing so what is he trying to accomplish? By telling the World we are fucked and running on fumes what message does that spread to the oppo? We are playing for huge parts of every game bereft of any confidence. It's not hard to see why when the manager spends most of his time with the press saying this is all we have. Can't wait for the season to be over. Son and Kane are out, so those that I am selecting in their place are garbage and therefore we will struggle to score. Imagine having your boss disrespect your ability so much and how that might affect your confidence in a game!

None of us knows the specifics of individual player motivations, some need a carrot and some a stick. But when results and performances are shit and he's calling out players in public he's sticking a target on his back. The time to do this is when your winning games and playing well, then what you say in public about player 'x' can only be seen as 'right'. The press tried their best to have a pop at Klopp for not even turning up to manage his side in the FA Cup, it basically fell on deaf ears because they are going to win the league and they won the CL last year.

If the players are running on fumes though what's he supposed to do? Demand more from them or protect them and show sympathy to the situation? He'll be doing what he's doing for a reason, that's for him to know and us to observe and dissect if we so choose to.

We were shit with Son and Kane WAY before Mourinho. Withnthe same nucleus of players he toolmour points per game average from what was it, 1.1 up to 1.65, something like that?

How I see it we have two options as fans, get the arse about something that won't change until we get our striking big gun(s) back or throw our arms about the place like a bunch of infant school girls. I prefer the supportive approach, some prefer the supportive sports bra approach. Each to their own but how I observe it, Mourinho gets a fair bit of his stick because he's Mourinho.

I get why people are agitated at the moment, as a fan you have the right to see it however you want, as do I and I think it's harsh that people throw words like Toxic around so early and with so many limitations. Not fair to me and not on with how things stand. Could he be doing better? Yeah I believe so, could he be doing worse? I think so too hence my dislike for the easily thrown about toxic line at a moment where we are flat on our feet.

Parrott.

“The penalty is nothing. He is a penalty taker in the under-23s, he scores everyone in the unders.

“The problem is not his experience. The problem is in the 30 minutes.

I don’t mind Jose being honest here, Parrott was not good in his cameo. He doesn’t have to lie about it, but he’s making a point to fans for calling for an 18 year old who is obviously not ready.

Just had the pleasure of talksport keeping me company on a long drive back from Birmingham.

Durham doing an absolute number on spurs in defence of Jose and so called spurs fans ringing in and egging him on. Apparently dele only ever played well with son.

Anyway he mentioned the parrott comments which I was unaware of. Absolutely shocking if true. I dont feel passionately about getting parrott in as he probably isnt emotionally mature enough but to use 25 minutes in a game where we decided to mostly defend as an excuse and to knock the kid is jose all over.

Parrott didn't do much but dele was shockingly bad. Does that mean he isnt ready? I mean Lucas Is poor most games and yet his apparently undroppable.

How is this going to get better? Its toxic already
His got his verbal diarrhoea and his now aiming it in any direction that means his blameless.

Does anybody think we will not lose the next two games? I'm convinced we will. And then what . That's six games on the trot. He wont take any blame that's for sure.

I said if he doesnt get a striker his going to cause havoc, loads of us did and many of those now defending him denied it. Well look at us now.

The football is so negative its ridiculous, he talks and talks and talks which is simply achieving more and more division.

Imagine another year of this.

Fuck that.

Ok but when Woolwich or The Scousers bring them in, they look ready, as did Japhet when he played his 1st game. To me Foyth was liked by Poch and he has been given several games. There has been little evidence so far, except for donating penalties etc. I am all for your arguments but Foyth has not had a good game that I can remember?
Dortmund Champions League 1st leg

Palace away last week season (and he got the winner)

Just had the pleasure of talksport keeping me company on a long drive back from Birmingham.

Durham doing an absolute number on spurs in defence of Jose and so called spurs fans ringing in and egging him on. Apparently dele only ever played well with son.

Anyway he mentioned the parrott comments which I was unaware of. Absolutely shocking if true. I dont feel passionately about getting parrott in as he probably isnt emotionally mature enough but to use 25 minutes in a game where we decided to mostly defend as an excuse and to knock the kid is jose all over.

Parrott didn't do much but dele was shockingly bad. Does that mean he isnt ready? I mean Lucas Is poor most games and yet his apparently undroppable.

How is this going to get better? Its toxic already
His got his verbal diarrhoea and his now aiming it in any direction that means his blameless.

Does anybody think we will not lose the next two games? I'm convinced we will. And then what . That's six games on the trot. He wont take any blame that's for sure.

I said if he doesnt get a striker his going to cause havoc, loads of us did and many of those now defending him denied it. Well look at us now.

The football is so negative its ridiculous, he talks and talks and talks which is simply achieving more and more division.

Imagine another year of this.

Fuck that.

Sorry mate, I don't agree. Dele hardly gets a rest, Parrott should be as fresh as anything and how better to hit home to a kid that he isn't ready for a level that he's been itching to play at than to say what was true based on the 30 minutes we saw?

I don't see it as shocking or knocking. I would hope I Parrott is made of the good stuff he will take what's been said on board and start pulling his socks up in those u18 & u23 games he has apparently been showing a lack of respect to. He wants first team football, go and show the manager that he's wrong in his conclusions so far. If not why not humble him inna way Jose sees fit to? He's the boss

Klopp wouldn’t have lasted a season with our fans to be honest.

I disagree.

The fraction is between Style of Management vs Resume. Klopp ticks both boxes for a lot of fans. People are siding with Jose cause his cabinet, which I get, but it is clear he hasn’t evolved like he said he has and he still trots out the same tactics that got him fired.

He couldn't set up a team to do that if he tried, and he's tried like against Villa when we just went in one's and two's, and they played right through us.

Every team is more or less playing us off the park and it doesn't matter if we are sat in a low or mid-block or if we are trying to press.

They play right through us because we have one of the worst midfields in the Premier League.

In all seriousness, do any of our centre midfielders get any game time for anyone else in the top 7?

Guys like Wink, Skipp and Ndombele would never see the field if they played for Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Leicester, United or Wolves given their current form.

This goes back to Jose's analogy a few weeks ago to the team being like trying to sleep with a blanket that's too short. If we attack, we're open defensively. If we defend, we can't score.

Our midfield is a train wreck right now. Our midfield is so limited right now that we get run off the field by everyone we play.

Parrott.

“The penalty is nothing. He is a penalty taker in the under-23s, he scores everyone in the unders.

“The problem is not his experience. The problem is in the 30 minutes.

And what is that eluding to? He thought he didn’t get involved enough?

Thought he ran his nuts off and helped cover.

If the players are running on fumes though what's he supposed to do? Demand more from them or protect them and show sympathy to the situation? He'll be doing what he's doing for a reason, that's for him to know and us to observe and dissect if we so choose to.

We were shit with Son and Kane WAY before Mourinho. Withnthe same nucleus of players he toolmour points per game average from what was it, 1.1 up to 1.65, something like that?

How I see it we have two options as fans, get the arse about something that won't change until we get our striking big gun(s) back or throw our arms about the place like a bunch of infant school girls. I prefer the supportive approach, some prefer the supportive sports bra approach. Each to their own but how I observe it, Mourinho gets a fair bit of his stick because he's Mourinho.

I get why people are agitated at the moment, as a fan you have the right to see if however you want, as do I and I think it's harsh that people throw words like Toxic around so early and with so many limitations. Not fair to me and not on with how things stand. Could he be doing better? Yeah I believe so, could he be doing worse? I think so too hence my dislike for the easily thrown about toxic line at a moment where we are flat on our feet.
Do Wolves have a bigger squad than us?
Have they played more games than us?
Have they had to travel further than us in Europe?
Have they also had injuries to key attacking players this season?

the points per game average included a win against sides that played us off the park though. The whole points per game thing were so misleading when we were still playing shite and getting very lucky with the results. He's now lost more games than Poch did this season, so what I don't give a fuck about that.

How we are playing I do about that, it should be all about how we are playing, what's his input into the team, are we improving as a team? I said it from before he kicked a ball with us, it's about our performances, not the results. The team was/is in trouble, what's he done and what is he attempting to do? Are we playing better?

I was all ready to praise him to high heavens whilst watching the first half against Wolves and the first 20mins last night I really liked. But it's so hard to get enthused when we then end up being so shit for the rest of it.

Thought he ran around a bit, gave away the ball a few times, missed a penalty. He chipped in - that’s all he could do because he’s making the giant leap from u-23 to full prem level. And he’s 18.

Neither Jose nor Parrott could do any different. It was clear last night who were the leaders on the pitch and who shat themselves. Parrott was what he is - an untried 18yo. Compare his 30 mins with Tanganga or even Foyth. Worlds apart - some players need to eased in.

For me, gets a monkey of Jose’s back and everyone can just stfu about ‘why is he not playing Parrott’. We have better players - albeit all in the wrong positions and absolutely cream-crackered.

The injuries are real but how he's dealing with them also need to be scrutinised. Moaning about them does what exactly? By doing so what is he trying to accomplish? By telling the World we are fucked and running on fumes what message does that spread to the oppo?
As someone who has yet to criticise him here, I have to say I am browned off and concerned by what's been coming out of his mouth in recent times.

the points per game average included a win against sides that played us off the park though. The whole points per game thing were so misleading when we were still playing shite and getting very lucky with the results. He's now lost more games than Poch did this season, so what I don't give a fuck about that.

How we are playing I do about that, it should be all about how we are playing, what's his input into the team, are we improving as a team? I said it from before he kicked a ball with us, it's about our performances, not the results. The team was/is in trouble, what's he done and what is he attempting to do? Are we playing better?

I was all ready to praise him to high heavens whilst watching the first half against Wolves and the first 20mins last night I really liked. But it's so hard to get enthused when we then end up being so shit for the rest of it.

Wolves currently have Raul Jimenez, Jota, Neto, Podence, Adama and Campana as attacking options, also had the luxury of being able to flog Cutrone in January as well..... we simply do not have that kind of depth available to us at present, what can we do about that? Not a lot until a window opens or a player returns from injury.

The difference is you've seen enough to determine that Mourinho won't turn it into a positive Guido, I wish to wait until we see Bergwijn, Dele, Son and Kane in the same team and him get more than 30 days of a transfer window to swing it around.

I think we were in damage limitation mode. Confidence slaughtered, points and position in the table dwindling, spirit non-existent and style shot to pieces and cumbersome. I saw building blocks being put in place with what we had, others demanded fireworks. As I said it just depends on your perception of where we are and what we should expect under the circumstances mate.

Thought he ran around a bit, gave away the ball a few times, missed a penalty. He chipped in - that’s all he could do because he’s making the giant leap from u-23 to full prem level. And he’s 18.

Neither Jose nor Parrott could do any different. It was clear last night who were the leaders on the pitch and who shat themselves. Parrott was what he is - an untried 18yo. Compare his 30 mins with Tanganga or even Foyth. Worlds apart - some players need to eased in.

For me, gets a monkey of Jose’s back and everyone can just stfu about ‘why is he not playing Parrott’. We have better players - albeit all in the wrong positions and absolutely cream-crackered.

Not going to lie, he looked like Kane out their under Jose. Hardly involved. The only exception is Kane bangs penalties in

He wasn't impressed.
I don’t mind Jose being honest here, Parrott was not good in his cameo. He doesn’t have to lie about it, but he’s making a point to fans for calling for an 18 year old who is obviously not ready.
The point is this plays directly into the hands of fans who don't like to hear this. He said the same about Rashford and Martial, it started a war in the Utd fanbase.

Whether you agree or disagree he's now just chucked a hand grenade into the Spurs fanbase and it's about to kick off. A divide is forming and we are just 3 months into his time here.

He has the power, the charisma to handle this in a way that is boring, that doesn't explode. Someone above posted about the toxic fanbase, welcome to the beginning of a #in/#out fanbase. A scab the press can pick at to their heart's content, whether it's real or not, the flames are being fanned, the knives are being sharpened, it's the perfect clickbait.

He’s made GLC a regular, found a good position for Dier to come back to form, made sure we went for Stevie B, given Gedson and Tanganga game time as hopes for the future, scored loads of goals with our wc striker out. He’s also given a start to Skipp - this is a manager who’s desperate to find the right formula. Some bits are slotting into place - but he’s done plenty. We are looking stronger in the first half of games again, even without a striker.

We’re improving - it’s not the final steps that matter in success, but the thousands before - that’s where we are. It’ll click soon enough.

What Jose stans don’t get; Its not necessarily about the results... it’s about the blueprint being laid for the future. Results were all over the shop with Poch in year 1 but he gave reason to believe in his blueprint. Same with Redknapp in year 1. Ditto Jol.

what is Jose giving us beyond the blind hope that he was last a dominant force in The Blackberry era?

Back
Top Bottom