John McDermott - MUST READ

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We can be talking about how money has ruined football until the cows come home but at the end of the day it is now a money making game and that is the reality now.
I'm not intersted in who earns the most out of the players or spends the most on players, I'm merely a fan that wants to see good football.

Yeah, but do you not think we are doing the same thing with our kids? The Chelsea stockpiling of players is a totally different issue.

Not really, I believe our academy develops children with the intention of developing them into adults capable of playing for our first team, but if they fall beneath that level then sure, we would want to make a profit for them.

Who out of Chelsea's academy has made a real impact since John Terry?

Not really, I believe our academy develops children with the intention of developing them into adults capable of playing for our first team, but if they fall beneath that level then sure, we would want to make a profit for them.

I'll take it further, how many have made an impact since leaving...I can only think of Bertrand at the minute...City are as bad, I can name a load of our boys and a load of United players though.

Edit: Just remembered that Trippier came through the City Academy...

Last edited:

I'm not as sure, before the Pochettino revolution and even during a bit of time with Sherwood. Our development squad seemed to be more geared to creating players that could be sold off to Championship / lower PL level clubs, picking up a few £m for a player more than justified our development of them. If they were outstanding then they more than likely made it. It took the likes of Townsend, Walker, Rose, Mason and Kane to have several loan moves before they truly broke through. In the case of Walker and Rose they were bought relatively young from other club's academies.

In the case of the Chav's it's Roman's vanity project and he is only interested it seems in buying the best rather than watch them develop through their academy. Shitty are a different kettle of fish as I think ultimately they want players coming from their academy albeit having bought the cream of the crop from other youth set ups.

I'll take it further, how many have made an impact since leaving...I can only think of Bertrand at the minute...City are as bad, I can name a load of our boys and a load of United players though.

I think we can name the Utd ones because they fucked themselves so badly with the £250m+ of dross signings since Moyes/LVG took over. They didn't strengthen correctly and thus needed to play the boys out of their youth set up. As it is they are hungry to prove their worth and playing without fear and succeeding where more expensive signings are failing.

I think we got burnt so badly with the Bale money spend that Levy pretty much ordered a retreat from big money signings and went the Pochettino route of a coach who could develop young players. It's worked out wonderfully for us and that is how clubs should be built.

I think the aim of all academies is to turn a profit on as many players as possible, graduating them to the first team is probably viewed as a bonus.

I think we can name the Utd ones because they fucked themselves so badly with the £250m+ of dross signings since Moyes/LVG took over. They didn't strengthen correctly and thus needed to play the boys out of their youth set up. As it is they are hungry to prove their worth and playing without fear and succeeding where more expensive signings are failing.

I think we got burnt so badly with the Bale money spend that Levy pretty much ordered a retreat from big money signings and went the Pochettino route of a coach who could develop young players. It's worked out wonderfully for us and that is how clubs should be built.
No I'm talking about the likes of Drinkwater, Cathcart, Higginbottom, Pogba, Shawcross, Brady, Bardsley and Richardson.

Edit: Just remembered that Trippier came through the City Academy...

Chelsea had Jack Cork, Scott Sinclair, Liam Bridcutt and probably a few others. Not exactly world beaters but all capable of playing in the Premier League.

Which academies have produced the most Premier League players this season?

They produce the players but they've no interest in using them, the fanbase is about big signings and immediate success on the pitch.

City isn't a fair comparison, don't forget they weren't bought until 2008. Academies aren't developed over night.

I have merely skimmed through the article but very very interesting and positive read. We are in safe hands with mcdermott and Poch. Levy needs to keep these people happy to ensure the club's continued success.

I think the aim of all academies is to turn a profit on as many players as possible, graduating them to the first team is probably viewed as a bonus.

Yet McD is not wrong: First team playing time is more important than money, eventually.

That's one of the reasons Utd and Woolwich were so succesfull getting academy players in - they would get a chance to play.

Look what we have done to Mason, Carroll and Kane - none of them standouts in any way in their classes, yet more than capable in the PL (with Kane much more so).

Yet McD is not wrong: First team playing time is more important than money, eventually.

That's one of the reasons Utd and Woolwich were so succesfull getting academy players in - they would get a chance to play.

Look what we have done to Mason, Carroll and Kane - none of them standouts in any way in their classes, yet more than capable in the PL (with Kane much more so).

Utd only just starting to give their youth a chance again due to injury. Their philosophy of scattergun approach to buying players has to stop. Although whilst Woodward is in charge I think this will continue. If Jose takes over then say good night to the youth being used again.

Woolwich which used to be a conveyor belt of youth prospects seem to now spend more time being linked with elite names and trying to fix their injured squad of the same type of player. I can only think of Wheelchair, Iwobi, Gibbs and Coquelin coming through their system. I don't count the likes of Walnutt, Ramsey, Ox, Bellerin as they were bought in as first teamers.

Utd only just starting to give their youth a chance again due to injury. Their philosophy of scattergun approach to buying players has to stop. Although whilst Woodward is in charge I think this will continue. If Jose takes over then say good night to the youth being used again.

Woolwich which used to be a conveyor belt of youth prospects seem to now spend more time being linked with elite names and trying to fix their injured squad of the same type of player. I can only think of Wheelchair, Iwobi, Gibbs and Coquelin coming through their system. I don't count the likes of Walnutt, Ramsey, Ox, Bellerin as they were bought in as first teamers.

True, I was just replying to the idea of academies as a sales commodity

Back
Top Bottom