Jimmy Greaves

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rest in peace Jimmy. Forever a legend.
I’m slightly to young to have experienced his playing career live, but I’ve watched many videos over the years. I also used to watch Saint and Greavies as a kid and he came across as a great guy.

Last edited:
Jimmy Greaves my childhood hero. We had won the double the previous season, but Nicholson signed Greaves for a record £99,999.00 , he didn’t want Jimmy to be the first £100,000 player. Similar to today.
Greaves alongside Bobby Smith and Cliff Jones on the wing were a delight. Tho winning the double without Jimmy , we only made third that first season with him. However, retained the FA Cup v Burnley, who that year finished 2nd. First goal in FA Cup final by Greaves. Tho the penalty by Blanchfower stays in my memory as the deciding goal.
Greaves was the master. Not just a goal poacher, but one who could collect the ball in his own half and run through a defence and score.
Not the speed of a Ronaldo, but you are thinking of that standard as a player and goal scorer.
Jimmy Greaves, thank you for enriching my life.

FA Cup team v Burnley 1962

Last edited:
I just realised its Jimmy Greaves MBE and not Sir Jimmy Greaves for Englands best striker ever. The queen instead makes Sir Les Ferdinand...haha.

Sir Les Ferdinand?
Game Show Lol GIF by ABC Network

You know its times like these when you truly appreciate football and the football family.

This forum can be volatile with people slagging each other off.

Its a sad time but I've truly enjoyed reading the stories of how people have been touched by Greavsie. Particularly from those old enough to watch him.

We've had fans from other clubs pay tribute here.

I would love to read more stories and see pictures and footage.

I'm currently writing this as I walk to the ground on White Hart Lane whilst wearing my retro all white 60-61 shirt. I dug it out for this match just for Greavsie. I'll be singing his name at the game today.

RIP GOAT

Be nice if this old classic from the 60s got a run out today...

"We marched all over Europe in the shape of Jimmy Greaves
We humbled the Italians, put the Germans to their knees
You've never seen anything like it in the present or the past
And as for fucking Arsen*l, you can stick them up your arse"

Just the first line x4 then...

Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur

I may have something in my eye, might be the wine at lunch...

Back
Top Bottom