January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Goal conversion would be about shots becoming goals

shot accuracy would be shots on target.

Darwin has a goal conversion rate of 14%. Can you even call yourself a striker with that? Maybe he's a box to box forward? or forward playing midfielder?

Alvarez being that low for goal conversion is a shocker as well.
Maybe he'd be called shit if 99% of the media weren't Liverpool fans/fanbois.

I'm not convinced it'll help us tbh.
I think it'll just lower fees and wages in the long term across the board.
it will definitely help us if rival clubs like Newcastle are in such a dire situation that they are openly admitting they need to sell to buy.

Chelsea openly whoring their academy players out (with one being the captain) is a beautiful sight.

The reason we didn't get Nusa wasn't because we didn't have a free run at him. We didn't get Nusa because we either deemed it was too expensive to spend 30m+ on an unproven teenager or we couldn't offer him the game time we wanted.
I have it on good authority Nusa picked Brentford after this guy promised him a lifetime supply of peanut dust

i get you bbc three GIF by BBC

Goal conversion would be about shots becoming goals

shot accuracy would be shots on target.

Darwin has a goal conversion rate of 14%. Can you even call yourself a striker with that? Maybe he's a box to box forward? or forward playing midfielder?

Alvarez being that low for goal conversion is a shocker as well.

Yeh, silly me.... I guess I didn't think about that very hard.

I get you and agree with all of that.

Still think clubs will be prepared to drop 80m + on premium players in the summer but the volume of transfers overall will bring average prices and wage offers down eventually.
Agreed, but the £80M players were the £100M players last year. The £50M players then become the £30M players and so on.

But you don't jump now, and pay the silly money just because no one else can. Why do that now, when waiting 6 months or so means you can afford 2 game changers instead of just the one now?

How many times has Levy blinked first?

Nope. doesn't work that way.

If you are going to make statements about the Anti Levy protagonists as you described them don't be surprised when you get called on it.
You're not "calling me on it" - I was having a conversation with another poster about our transfer policy - if you bother to go back and read the prior post, you might understand how you've misunderstood that context. He made a statement about the pro-regime fans views on it, so I made a similar but opposite statement about the anti-regime fans. My post was simply a direct response to (and pretty much mirror image of) his post, arising from a conversation about the club's transfer policy. It was, if you'll forgive me, a rather more intelligent converation than just posting "no trophies" or "show me the trophies" - the forum would be a better place if that kind of mindless simpleton posting remained in the ENIC thread. You may well agree with the other poster, and that's fine, but you're a good enough poster to have something more insightful to say than that post.

Until I see some trophies this so called "major" change in our transfer policy is just more empty rhetoric.

It's damage control as yet another trophyless season ticks by.

That's a bit more helpful I guess - but I suppose it's always going to be a matter of opinion - I (and numerous others on here) see a change in the way we're doing things over the last couple of years compared to the previous few years and beyond. You don't see that (I don't mean that rudely - I mean you don't believe it to be the case). Personally it's not all about trophies for me, but it is about some kind of success, and I do agree that the "change" can't really be 'proven' until it translates into some kind of success (for one person that might be a trophy, for someone else it might be back to solid top 4, for someone else it might be a title challenge - that's a long-standing debate for another day and definitely another thread). :)

But we overtook Chavski

City revenue is fake as well and that’s also in the works.

I’m just saying compete with the money clubs as we find ourselves on a level playing ground with them due to FFP
We’re not on a level playing field.
FFP allows you to spend according to your revenue.
Therefore, FFP allows City and United to spend gobs more than we do. It also allows Liverpool to spend considerably more.
However, if we spend well then we can be competitive but a £200m revenue difference, real (United) or booked (City) is a pretty big disadvantage.
Edited to add: At any point over a three year cycle, we might find ourselves on an equal footing with these clubs in terms of space but that would only occur if they’ve already spent more of their allocation (as say Chelsea and United have currently).

it will definitely help us if rival clubs like Newcastle are in such a dire situation that they are openly admitting they need to sell to buy.

Chelsea openly whoring their academy players out (with one being the captain) is a beautiful sight.
It stops Newcastle cruising past as as quickly as we thought they would.
But they'll just build a big new stadium and claim they have generated a billion pound income or something in the next few years.

It's why this summer (and even this window now) could be a massive opportunity for us. Liverpool may fuck up the Klopp replacement, United are a shambles, another year of nothing much for Arteta could happen, Chelsea a shit show and Newcastle totally crippled by FFP despite having more money than the rest of the human race.
If we don't sense an opportunity here and go for it, we absolutely never will.

Agreed, but the £80M players were the £100M players last year. The £50M players then become the £30M players and so on.

But you don't jump now, and pay the silly money just because no one else can. Why do that now, when waiting 6 months or so means you can afford 2 game changers instead of just the one now?

How many times has Levy blinked first?

This is a good question.

Complicated by Klopp leaving. If the price is still 80m in the summer for the player that puts us in a position to capitalize of Klopp leaving Liverpool, should he blink?

Will this opportunity come around again so soon?

My guess is that Liverpool flip Salah and Van Dijk to Saudi for about 200m and then give that to the new manager. Are we going to play poor again and not compete for elite players?

Therefore, FFP allows City and United to spend gobs more than we do. It also allows Liverpool to spend considerably more.
However, if we spend well then we can be competitive but a £200m revenue difference, real (United) or booked (City) is a pretty big disadvantage.

By that logic is allows us to spend more than woolwich and chavski? We are in the ball park now.

There are other elements also, we have far less outgoing in terms of wages compared to a poorly run United. I mean currently it looks like they can barely spend due to FFP plus their debt unlike ours isn't long dated low fixed rate against a great asset like a stadium. Man City and the fake sponsors yes that is clearly an issue and perhaps the only club right now that could clearly outspend us based on wealth and FFP allowance.

But is any of this change going to be any different to when we last brought in a new recruitment team? Or the time before that, or the time before that?

Udogie and Sarr, yes they have turned out to be good players, but for every Sarr there’s a Gil, for every Udogie there’s a Spence. The club have always attempted to sign young cheap low risk players in the hope they turn into top stars. This practice was in place long before Paratici et al arrived.

People similarly bang on about Kulu and Bentancur. They were signed because we had a very angry Italian coach banging down the door demanding new players. Paratici then rang up his pals at Juve and said lads, who have ye got. Anyone who genuinely believes there was any plan or long standing scouting of them players is deluded beyond help.

And also for the record, I’m not saying that our recruitment has gotten worse in recent years, I just think behind all the bluster and talk of data driven approach fluff, it’s still the same old low risk, bare minimum approach we’ve always seen from ENIC. It will keep us as a club in and around the top 6, but to actually break the glass ceiling and win trophies? I just can’t see it.
What an absolute pile of opinion laden waffle.

"A very angry Italian coach banging down the door?"

He'd only just joined us you goose!

Nope. doesn't work that way.

If you are going to make statements about the Anti Levy protagonists as you described them don't be surprised when you get called on it.

Until I see some trophies this so called "major" change in our transfer policy is just more empty rhetoric.

It's damage control as yet another trophyless season ticks by.
For the short term, after the last few years, I'd take seeing us bring talented players to the club who flourish.
Since we started bringing dogshit from about 17 onwards in and watched us waste money on players who wouldn't get anywhere near a top 6 teams starting 11, I'll be happy with more Maddisons, more VdV's, more Vicarios, Udogies, Porro's, Sarr's
Getting the right players in is the only way we improve enough to actually win something and carry on winning things. It feels like we're seeing some light at the end of a very long dark tunnel in that regard.

But we're still sloppy as fuck at getting deals over the line. Just mind boggling how we spend time and money scouting players and talking about the structure of deals and then walking away.

Don't mind Hobby staying till the summer. He's been decent coming on for 20 mins to see out games. Shite when he starts though.

As long as some combination of Bentancur, Sarr, Maddison, Bissouma get 85% of the remaining minutes of the season we will be fine.

What an absolute pile of opinion laden waffle.

"A very angry Italian coach banging down the door?"

He'd only just joined us you goose!
He was angry, little and Italian from the moment he joined us - actually from well before he joined us. Cunte was threatening us from his early days - probably from his first day on the job. It’s the reason he signed such a short contract (20 months). Such a bad fit for the club - and such a miserable person.

Article below from 2 months into his tenure - beginning of window where we signed Kulu and Benta where Cunte is already not so subtly warning the club that his ambition needed to be matched for him to stick around for more that 18 months.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom