January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

City aren't a real business. They buy companies to sponsor themselves to make it look like they make money to beat FFP.
Chelsea spunked a fortune 20 years ago, before FFP, and now have a significantly higher fan base than they ever did before and now are a big, money making club.
You know how there's loads of a Man United fans down south? Where are the City fans?
It's gonna take another 10 years before we see them, and probably 20 years before they're adults.
Citeh's revenue isn't all down to that. They have succeeded in making themselves a self-sustaining brand. Clubs using close-linked companies as sponsors was not against the rules; see Newcastle and indeed Leicester! Of course, Citeh got in trouble for the extent to which the sponsorship was over market value and for hiding financial information. I think the Premier League discussed banning it recently after Newcastle.

In any case, my point, which is plain to anyone, is that Citeh and Chelsea are currently being run as businesses- at least in principle. Leicester, from a financial standpoint, is being run appallingly, and, barring another miracle, I can only see their financials getting worse. It is okay if the owners will forever service the debts but if this was to change, it would be catastrophic.

Would love this.

v8T0Jzp.jpg

It was difficult to achieve the player we needed,” Pochettino said. “That was impossible. I was happy and am happy with the squad that I have, 25 players.

“We have no regrets, we are happy. When we started the season with three games that we won and we were up at the top of the table people were talking in a different way, ‘Oh how clever are Tottenham because they keep all the squad from last season’.

“After we lost some games all the alarms started to make a big impact in the perception. But I need to remind everyone that this is our best start after eight games, it is the best start in the Premier League for Tottenham.”

This was met with derision and scorn and Levy was attacked right up to this day, for this window being responsible for all our failings since.
Despite the players that are still here actually being better then and reaching the CL Final and finishing 4th.
Poch was “stabbed in the back and not backed” and “it cost us trophies”

2021, one week before the window opens:
“Harry Winks is working very hard. He impressed me in training sessions for his commitment, his will, his desire. I think he’s a really good player.

“When we play in this way, with this formation, with a number four in front of the three central defenders, I think he’s very, very good. Very good.”

'Eric Dier can become one of the best players in the world in that position,'”
Conte

Yet this is met with unwavering support despite the clear message that certain players who have performed atrociously for large parts of the last couple years will not be upgraded.

Personally I’d like to see Conte actually become a legend by getting Ndombele performing and fit, I’m not really understanding why people are hailing a manager basically for picking Winks

By Winks own words, Conte hasn’t done anything special:

When asked by Amazon Prime what Conte had changed about his game, Winks replied: “Nothing.
“He’s just given me an opportunity, he’s given me game time, a chance to go out there and prove myself and leave it down to me.

So there you have it, no magic wand, no world class managerial tactical change to Winks style of play, he just picked Winks, like Nuno, Jose and Mason did.

I think this window could change and define the direction of our club under Conte.

Celebrating keeping Winks and Dier isn’t that.

Last edited:
Citeh's revenue isn't all down to that. They have succeeded in making themselves a self-sustaining brand. Clubs using close-linked companies as sponsors was not against the rules; see Newcastle and indeed Leicester! Of course, Citeh got in trouble for the extent to which the sponsorship was over market value and for hiding financial information. I think the Premier League discussed banning it recently after Newcastle.

In any case, my point, which is plain to anyone, is that Citeh and Chelsea are currently being run as businesses- at least in principle. Leicester, from a financial standpoint, is being run appallingly, and, barring another miracle, I can only see their financials getting worse. It is okay if the owners will forever service the debts but if this was to change, it would be catastrophic.
City own the company on their shirts. Newcastle didn't own Newcastle Brown Ale.
City's income from that is quite simply a lie. It's not income at all.

Potential players to transfer in, Jan & Summer 2022:

To compete w/ Davies at LCB:
Schlotterbeck
P. Torres

To replace Hojbjerg at CM:
Kessie
Brozovic

To replace Ndombele/ GLC at AM:
Pasalic
Wirtz
Milinkovic Savic

To replace Bergwijn at RW:
Nkunku
Goncalves

To back up Kane at CF:
Vlahovic
Schick
Julian Alvarez
I know you're just coming with suggestions but we are here to discuss:

Bayern are apparently very keen on Nico Schlotterbeck. as they are renewing their defense - and they usually get their will when it comes to top German prospects (Havertz being one of the exceptions).

Brozovic is turning 30 next year (well in November so it's in 11 months). The EPL, with its intensity and pace, can be a hard league to adjust to, and for most players, it takes at least 1 season before they do. Brozovic would be 31-32 years he's "adjusted" (if he will), which will be at the age where most non-British players prefer to leave the EPL and play in a slower-paced league)

As for Kessie, I have mixed feelings about him but if Conte wants, well... What concerns me, though, is losing him to the ANC every second year, plus WC & ANC qualifiers. And with Pape Sarr returning next season, Spurs could risk losing both their CM for parts of the season. If Milenkovic-Savic, was signed I'd be fairly happy. Thing is, a couple of seasons ago all the big/rich clubs were apparently after him but then he went a bit quiet...

Neither Vlahovic nor Schick will join Spurs to be Kane's understudy. And with Son & Kane already occupying 2 of the 3 attacking spots in Conte's system, I think it would be a waste of talent to play any of those 2 wide. Yes, Kane could play a bit more withdrawn, which could allow Vlahovic to play as CF; but that would be a bit a waste of Kane's goalscoring ability.
Julian Alvarez is only 170 cm, which is a bit small for a CF In the EPL . And he is untested in Europe. It's rare that EPL signs South American players straight from their leagues. That he is a top talent there is no doubt, but he plays in a very possessive-oriented River P. team under Gallardo; which is quite different from Conte's style. I think he's headed for La Liga.

Last edited:
Potential players to transfer in, Jan & Summer 2022:

To replace Gollini at GK:
Henderson
Johnstone

To replace Sanchez/ Rodon at RCB/CB:
Bremer
Skriniar

To compete w/ Davies at LCB:
Schlotterbeck
P. Torres
A couple of quick points.

GK
Henderson won’t want to swap being the No.2 at ManU to being the No.2 at Spurs. So he would only come if Lloris goes.
Johnstone is out of contract in the summer and would be a solid backup To Lloris / Henderson

LCB
Torres turned out us down last summer.

Yeah and someone here repeated them and said it was true

And Soduko agreed with him

It’s actually scary how people can let their minds become putty
Imagine thinking that in a year Dier could walk into City,Liverpool or Real Madrid’s starting line up because Conte gave him a public confidence boost
imagine a football fan convinced that he knows moreabout a player than a coach as conte

It was difficult to achieve the player we needed,” Pochettino said. “That was impossible. I was happy and am happy with the squad that I have, 25 players.

“We have no regrets, we are happy. When we started the season with three games that we won and we were up at the top of the table people were talking in a different way, ‘Oh how clever are Tottenham because they keep all the squad from last season’.

“After we lost some games all the alarms started to make a big impact in the perception. But I need to remind everyone that this is our best start after eight games, it is the best start in the Premier League for Tottenham.”

This was met with derision and scorn and Levy was attacked right up to this day, for this window being responsible for all our failings since.
Despite the players that are still here actually being better then and reaching the CL Final and finishing 4th.
Poch was “stabbed in the back and not backed” and “it cost us trophies”

2021, one week before the window opens:
“Harry Winks is working very hard. He impressed me in training sessions for his commitment, his will, his desire. I think he’s a really good player.

“When we play in this way, with this formation, with a number four in front of the three central defenders, I think he’s very, very good. Very good.”

'Eric Dier can become one of the best players in the world in that position,'”
Conte

Yet this is met with unwavering support despite the clear message that certain players who have performed atrociously for large parts of the last couple years will not be upgraded.

Personally I’d like to see Conte actually become a legend by getting Ndombele performing and fit, I’m not really understanding why people are hailing a manager basically for picking Winks

By Winks own words, Conte hasn’t done anything special:

When asked by Amazon Prime what Conte had changed about his game, Winks replied: “Nothing.
“He’s just given me an opportunity, he’s given me game time, a chance to go out there and prove myself and leave it down to me.

So there you have it, no magic wand, no world class managerial tactical change to Winks style of play, he just picked Winks, like Nuno, Jose and Mason did.

I think this window could change and define the direction of our club under Conte.

Celebrating keeping Winks and Dier isn’t that.
accept the reality: journalists asked conte an opinion about dier, lucas, winks, ndobelè.
he has very good opinion about 3 of these 4 players
spoiler: not for ndombelè

If we did have talks with Antoine Griezmann yesterday, I hope they were held outside, everyone was FFP3 masked up and duly socially distanced. He came down with a dose of the Covids on Wednesday.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom