January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm sure the likes of Jack Rodwell looks back at his career as well and thinks "at least Man City paid me well"

Sadly yes. Millionaire but no football memories as such.

Players are humans and most want what their agents can get them. I get that but how shallow the victory if and when it comes.

The essence of it mattering ceases surely to exist.

He's absolute shite because he threw away his career chasing money. I'd bet any money that if he could go back in time and change one thing in his life he would never join city. For most players legacy is just as important as a big pay check.

Utter nonsense, he spent two injury ravaged seasons and then fucked off. Maybe he had enough self-belief where he thought he could be a regular at City, while getting a pay rise. Can't criticise him for that.

To all the guys knocking City and PSG. I agree with the sentiment, its like getting the cheat code for FM, just buying up everyone. But are you honestly saying that if we were in that situation and winning the PL every year, doing well and maybe winning the CL AND finishing above woolwich EVERY year you would not be happy.
On saying all that when these teams rich owners get bored/old/die every one them are in the shit

Utter nonsense, he spent two injury ravaged seasons and then fucked off. Maybe he had enough self-belief where he thought he could be a regular at City, while getting a pay rise. Can't criticise him for that.

That last bit about legacy being more valuable than a paycheck is laughable. How many Totti's are there in modern football these days? Players leave at the first whiff of a payrise

That last bit about legacy being more valuable than a paycheck is laughable. How many Totti's are there in modern football these days? Players leave at the first whiff of a payrise

If you really believe that then that's your choice, but there are plenty of players out there who have shown loyalty to their club, one of our own current crop included.

I have a theory. Sissoko is only being kept because he has a good relationship with Aurier. Lucas being brought in means that we have someone else who plays well with Aurier and plays that position (might have even asked Aurier who he wanted). Now we have some time to see if this works and if it does then we can flog Sissoko for whatever anyone will pay for him in the summer and invest in another player (hopefully Malcom or Sessegnon).

I have a theory. Sissoko is only being kept because he has a good relationship with Aurier. Lucas being brought in means that we have someone else who plays well with Aurier and plays that position (might have even asked Aurier who he wanted). Now we have some time to see if this works and if it does then we can flog Sissoko for whatever anyone will pay for him in the summer and invest in another player (hopefully Malcom or Sessegnon).

So we signed sissoko a year early to help entice Aurier to join us? Seems legit.

To all the guys knocking City and PSG. I agree with the sentiment, its like getting the cheat code for FM, just buying up everyone. But are you honestly saying that if we were in that situation and winning the PL every year, doing well and maybe winning the CL AND finishing above woolwich EVERY year you would not be happy.
On saying all that when these teams rich owners get bored/old/die every one them are in the shit
Absolutely I would be unhappy. The club would lose much of it's charm and what I love about it. It would be soiled.

It would be bitter sweet, you can bask in glory but at the same time you would know all of it was bought not earned.

Obviously not but if you used your brain you'd know that circumstances don't have to be planned for them to happen.
You can't deny that Aurier's and Sissoko's best performances have come when they've played together?

I honestly don't think I'd consider any of Sissokos performances for us to be his best personally. He has all the physical attributes to be as good as Yaya Toure but with literally none of the mental or technical attributes I'd want to see in a professional player. Easily one of the most frustrating Spurs players in the last 10 years.

I honestly don't think I'd consider any of Sissokos performances for us to be his best personally. He has all the physical attributes to be as good as Yaya Toure but with literally none of the mental or technical attributes I'd want to see in a professional player. Easily one of the most frustrating Spurs players in the last 10 years.
Literally my point is he's trash but he brings out the best in Aurier so we're keeping him til we have a replacement.

A very small part of me is curious to see it fall through and see how apoplectic the melters go.

It'd be a fun watch.
At first I interpreted this as referring to Aubameyang and chuckled.

Then realised it was about us.

b49.gif

Literally my point is he's trash but he brings out the best in Aurier so we're keeping him til we have a replacement.

I don't see the club giving two fucks about keeping a player around just because he's friends with another player. He's played a lot of minutes this year and that has more to do with what Poch sees in him than his relationship with Aurier.

Back
Top Bottom