January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is sometimes the product you bought low doesn't get high so you take a loss. It happens in business.

Agreed, we will take a lose no doubt on the likes of BAE, Kaboul, Ade, Soldado, Paulinho and probably not get much for Naughton, Chriches and so on. Happy for Levy to shop around at this point in the window but I don't want him doing last minute hageling only for the sale to collapse and in the long run lose even more on the player.

We also look to sell before we buy a lot of the time so it could affect that as well, we need a striker in this window and we need to clear the deadwood from our sqaud to raise cash and cut the wage bill. Not to mention give some of the young prospects a chance as well.

In November 2012, I suggested we move for Victor Wanyama from Celtic. A tough, young DM that appeared to be a massive brick shithouse made out of massive brick shithouses.

He's still that, but after a bit of time in the Premiership, his passing and decision making have improved hugely. Schneiderlin might well be the flavour of the month, but a less expensive option would do us just as well.

All of those things have proven to be wrong, but fans wanted that done. We did not know how players would respond to the impact of Pochettino. Chadli, it turns out, is a pretty damn handy LW. Danny Rose responded beautifully to the challenges of Pochettino's system and Ben Davies. He's not perfect, but he's miles better than last year. Christian Eriksen went from being a pretty good AM to a 2-way monster who'd quietly the best 10 in the Premier League (yet ignored by the press). Nabil Bentaleb kicked on from being Sherwood's pet to a 20-year old CM who's looking like he could be a Pirlo/Zidane-level player when he matures. And Kane is the best striker Spurs have seen since Sheringham, and I think the best we've had since Greaves.

I agree with virtually everything you state here. The common thread is that the players you mention are young and have had at least flashes (Rose) of productivity or exhibited immense potential (Eriksen). Soldado and some others don't fit this bill. They are older, not good enough, and clearly not part of any future plans. I think those are the players you cut losses on. I think that is where Levy refusing to sell to save face and maintain appearances hurts us.
For example if we could sell Paulihno and Soldado for $25M combined would you do it? Even though it would mean we took a big loss based on what we paid? I would as it would give us the funds you claim we don't have to go and get another player that fits the system and will help us win.

I agree with virtually everything you state here. The common thread is that the players you mention are young and have had at least flashes (Rose) of productivity or exhibited immense potential (Eriksen). Soldado and some others don't fit this bill. They are older, not good enough, and clearly not part of any future plans. I think those are the players you cut losses on. I think that is where Levy refusing to sell to save face and maintain appearances hurts us.
For example if we could sell Paulihno and Soldado for $25M combined would you do it? Even though it would mean we took a big loss based on what we paid? I would as it would give us the funds you claim we don't have to go and get another player that fits the system and will help us win.
I would do that in a heart beat at this point, if that deal appeared. It is something that would probably take plenty of time though. Which player though, for 25 million is actually available and would help us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom