January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Anthony Davies so happy, its not like he did anything for USA then, he was just registred for fun, played like 5 minutes..against Nigera when Melo did that record thingy. Davies should be ashamed .
Learn from Love :lloris:

Not to mention that Harden is absolutely murdering that Jawa in front of a full crowd.

I'm sure I read Andrea Agnelli has said Juventus won't be signing any players that aren't going to be in the starting eleven straight away, so I don't see Paulinho signing for them unfortunately. No way he's ahead of Pogba, Pirlo and Vidal... I even doubt he'd kick Marchisio out of the lineup too.

Not to mention that Harden is absolutely murdering that Jawa in front of a full crowd.
well, Harden played second fiddle to Kobe back then. Kobe got like 8 minutes , rest went to Harden, so id say he played enuff to be proud.

good times. Bron lost his medal only to find it in a shampagne case.

My 'ideal' transfer window would consist of:
Capoue, Paulinho, Adebayor, Kaboul, BAE & maybe Soldado OUT
Milner, Delph, Ings & Berahino IN

Think those lot would fit Poch's system to a tee

Call it something other than a refusal to spend if you choose, but I think it has a long term negative effect on the club. Top players with reasonable asking prices and salaries still aspire to play for "top clubs" or "CL clubs". If we don't appear to be striving for that players aren't coming here vs other clubs simple as that. The only bargaining chip we have is that they may see the field more here, that is not going to cut it.

This is a problem greater than this window. Look no further than last summer when we lowballed an offer for Schneiderlin, now if he leaves next summer it will likely be elsewhere and for more money. Last summer what would Bony have cost? He was certainly buyable if he can be had in January. I think we need to have a vision, trust our scouting and manager and pay when necessary to make the club better that is all.

As for needing to sell players, I get that, but ENIC may have to cut losses on some bad decisions rather than holding on to try and save face. Paulihno is movable, just not for what we paid, so be it. If he does not fit our plans then move him out and create funds to buy others.
Sorry about the delay in reply, work and home life intervened.

Please define "reasonable asking prices" and more to the point "top players". Just because a player has a good agent, a large paycheque and a reputation doesn't mean they are actually good (ie Radamel Falcao), or good for Pochettino's Spurs (like Adebayor, Kaboul, Paulinho, Dembele or Naughton). We need to find ways to make a deep squad, with players who are both generally good, and, in particular, good within the system Pochettino uses. It's no good finding some youtube highlight wonder and shoving him on Mauricio saying "here, make this one work out, he looked good in FM". If we are actually going to move forward as a club, we need to find the right players, rather than just any players. Bony would have cost over $20 million last year, everyone had seen how good he was, but that doesn't mean he would be a good idea. We had just brought in a new manager and he was trying to evaluate the squad. Ramming a brand new striker we'd spent a lot of money on down his throat would have been the definition of idiocy. We have no idea, even now, if Bony would actually work in Poche's system, and it would have made even more pressure for Pochettino to not play Kane, who is both better than Bony generally, and essentially ideal in Pochettino's system. Schneiderlin was apparently a move too far for Soton, largely I think because they also knew how important he was, and how hard to replace he was. We weren't going to spend 30 million to get him, as that was a long way over the market, and the relationship between Levy and Pochettino wasn't that strong yet. But it's not like we didn't try, and Schneiderlin's head hadn't been turned. We were just unlucky that unlike Liverpool and Utd, the Soton player we wanted was both really good, and Soton hadn't found a better replacement.

We also don't have infinite amounts of money, and FFP to consider, so just shouting "Levy, spend some fucking money!" doesn't make it so. We aren't Chelsea or City. We do have more money than all but 12 others clubs on the planet though, so everyone is going to try and fleece us at every turn. Given that we're financially outgunned at home, we can't afford to be generous, even if it seems expedient. It also reflects on the selling side. The more money we get, the more we can spend. If a club low-balls us on a player, we aren't going to just happily take a few quid and amble off down the way.

"Hi Daniel, it's your friends from Besiktas, we'd love to take that Kaboul guy off your hands, as we've noticed he's none too popular with your coach. Would a million euros be cool?"

He may be rubbish in the role we need him to play, but he's not rubbish compared to 70% of the CB's out there, and we can't really afford to sell him off as if he was. There are two and a half weeks left in the window. If Besiktas really want Younnes, they'll come back with a sweeter offer. The same goes for the other guys who need to be gotten rid of. We aren't going to do a half-assed job just to be rid of them, and we are working in the real life world of families, agents and human beings. These things are actually complicated.

Despite popular belief that we're "poor, old Tottenham" we can actually offer players better wages than almost any other team in the world. Players in Italy, Holland, Portugal and to a degree even Spain don't earn the wages that they can in England.

70k a week is huge for 95% of players. We're the 13th most valuable football club in the world, people would do well to remember that and lose the victim persona. We are a big club, who can offer things few clubs can.
Our rivals however, are signficantly bigger than we are, and can afford mistakes we can't. Hence we need to be more careful and more accurate than they are, while working with less. We're bigger than most, but in our competitive situation, we're not. It's rather perverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom