James Maddison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He has been one of our worst players since returning from injury and simply put, doesn't deserve to start until his form improves. As others have said, start Gio next game. Getting bored of his attitude as well, moody, moans, lets opposition players get under his skin. Needs to grow up rapidly.

Good player when he's on it, but right now he's a shower of shit.

It’s even worse in midfield,on paper the likes of Bentancur,bissouma sarr,Maddison sounds like great combinations.But that understanding between bissouma and Maddison seems to have evaporated real shame as they looked good at the start of the season.

The midfield is brutal atm.

We miss Sarr and he's a kid.

Bissouma is broken and Maddison is trying but it's just not clicking.

Have a mate who supports Leicester and he said to me when we signed him that he was a massively talented player but also had a big ego with a sulky side when things aren't going his way and I can see that.

Really needs to improve because since coming back from injury he has been one of the worse performers in the team, bordering on invisible at times.

Have a mate who supports Leicester and he said to me when we signed him that he was a massively talented player but also had a big ego with a sulky side when things aren't going his way and I can see that.

Really needs to improve because since coming back from injury he has been one of the worse performers in the team, bordering on invisible at times.
As good a player as he is.I remember at times Leicester fans getting on his back quite a few times due to his inconsistent form.

He’s a bit of a poseur. Which when you are performing you can get away with. But when you’re not it just makes you look like a bit of a tool.

He’s somebody who needs some pressure on his place.

After the Woolwich game the other day, Pep had a right go at Grealish in front of everyone. What did Jack do? Listen, pick himself up and put in solid perf the following games.

You can be a bit of a poser, a bit cunty even...but yeah still gotta do the business. Grealish is doing it, Mads is so far off it...

Talent-wise, there's not that much between the two of them. But mentality-wise, there's a gulf.

So so poor recently, not helped by his need to go deep, because others are not doing their own job. He was like this at Leicster as well, loads of periods of anonymous play.

Sarr has back issues.

That said, Biss and Madders have no backbone and yet they start most games.
Fair enough re sarr forgot about his back injury.

What I will say though is if ange stays to loyal to players like Maddison and bissouma ,who have been woeful recently and no matter how crap they play they will be picked it can create a discord in the dressing room and piss other players off.We’ve seen recent cameos from hojberg,Lo Celso I thought they looked alright, I personally think they’ve deserved more minutes,but the same players are on for pretty much the whole 90 underperforming and it gives out the wrong message to the team.

He’s a bit of a poseur. Which when you are performing you can get away with. But when you’re not it just makes you look like a bit of a tool.

He’s somebody who needs some pressure on his place.
He does seem to get wound up a little too easily... seems to be able to dish it out when things are going well, but as soon as the team is struggling, he doesn't seem to be the 'midfield General type to drag other players up to standard...

...and then all the focus is back on his 'poseur attitude' dress sense, hairstyle, winter tan and darts celebration!!
All of which is a bit superfluous and unnecessary if you ask me!

I’ve said it before and I’m saying it again, he’s too lightweight. He gets shrugged off the ball way too easily for a premier league midfielder.

I must be watching a different game to most who are saying he’s been one of our worst players for ages.

He played v well at West Ham imo and our performance dropped considerably going forward when he went off.

He was v good vs forest - caused them all sorts of problems with his movement and use of the ball and set up the 3rd goal.

Got a great goal and all round good performance v Villa.

Even Saturday I thought he popped up in intelligent positions between the lines and used the ball well before it all went to pot.

Maybe just me, but I watch him constantly show for the ball and try things - he is a quality player.

Much more worried lately by biss, Udogie, son, Werner’s inconsistentcy. Bentancur has contributed very little etc etc

I'd say he's a huge part of them:

View: https://x.com/GaffneyVLC/status/1779145789593227498

He is trying but it's not working and the team had learned how to play without him. It's almost like we need a pre season to learn how to play with him again and his chemistry with Son has GONE. Gone gone.

We are an attacking team where the attacking players aren't doing their jobs.

Up until his injury he was leading the press as part of the attack. His energy was helping turn teams over and his closing down was subsequently helping the high line and the defence. He's not doing it as much now.

That tells me one of three things; 1. He's not doing what his manager asks (cant see it would be tolerated) 2. He's being ask not to do it tactically (again, cant see it, as the system hasnt changed) 3. He's not fully fit or able to do it physically.

I reckon it is 3. So what does the manager do? Keep him playing because other parts of his game are more valuable than a person who can come in and do that same job, because that is what is happening.

It is also why now I am coming around to bringing someone like Eze in who can do that job (or even whisper it, Gallagher, who doesnt have the technical ability of Eze or even Maddison).

Up until his injury he was leading the press as part of the attack. His energy was helping turn teams over and his closing down was subsequently helping the high line and the defence. He's not doing it as much now.

That tells me one of three things; 1. He's not doing what his manager asks (cant see it would be tolerated) 2. He's being ask not to do it tactically (again, cant see it, as the system hasnt changed) 3. He's not fully fit or able to do it physically.

I reckon it is 3. So what does the manager do? Keep him playing because other parts of his game are more valuable than a person who can come in and do that same job, because that is what is happening.

It is also why now I am coming around to bringing someone like Eze in who can do that job (or even whisper it, Gallagher, who doesnt have the technical ability of Eze or even Maddison).

Yep right there with you.

I wanted Eze in the summer but I’ve been flip flopping on him as a fit and his injuries.

Now I’m flipped into the idea of Eze 100%. We could play him and Maddison together with them interchangeable on LW and LCM, he could play when Maddison isn’t fit and vice versa.

Yep right there with you.

I wanted Eze in the summer but I’ve been flip flopping on him as a fit and his injuries.

Now I’m flipped into the idea of Eze 100%. We could play him and Maddison together with them interchangeable on LW and LCM, he could play when Maddison isn’t fit and vice versa.
Not sure how that would work with our system as ange likes the wingers to stay high and wide. And eze would be wanting to come inside constantly and get involved in the build up play.

I do like him as a player though.

Back
Top Bottom