Is this the best squad ever assembled?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We beat them twice last season. And unlike under Mourinho, it wasn’t daylight robbery.

I think we’ll finish third but there’s definitely a world where we challenge this season.

Being perfectly setup to play a certain team and being effective against them doesn't mean you're as good as them.

I'm sure Wolves did the double over City once, and it wasn't a total bus park in either game. We're setup well vs the big teams, this does not = being capable of over 90 points, which is what you need now to challenge for the league.

16/17 well clear of this side unless we see some players step up huge this year. That backline and midfield were outrageously good, plus Kane, Son, and Eriksen/Dele in their absolute prime. Just a perfect 11.

For this team to match that group, Romero, Kulusevski, Perisic, Bissouma, and Bentancur are going to have to be top notch, in the discussion for league team of the season type good. Our whole team was that level in 16/17, Wanyama was world class too. 26 goals conceded in the league! +60 GD!

Feels like that team is underrated now, absolute buzzsaw of a group. One of the best teams in Europe, can't believe we were so shite in the UCL group stage.

Can't think of a better squad, man for man and manager for manager.

If the rumoured Zaniolo/Maddison move goes through then it makes the squad quality upgrade even more stark. Squad becomes comparable to current ManCity and Liverpool.
Hard not to see how Spurs can't be counted as serious title contenders .
Peak Poch was better player for player but we have to accept that Conte might be the secret ingredient.

16/17 season was great when everyone was fit and available. The step down to the bench was dogshit which is one of the main reasons we did't win anything. FA Cup vs the Chavs showed this.

16/17 season was great when everyone was fit and available. The step down to the bench was dogshit which is one of the main reasons we did't win anything. FA Cup vs the Chavs showed this.
Also contrived to get knocked out by Genk in Europe and Leverkusen in the group.

16/17 well clear of this side unless we see some players step up huge this year. That backline and midfield were outrageously good, plus Kane, Son, and Eriksen/Dele in their absolute prime. Just a perfect 11.

For this team to match that group, Romero, Kulusevski, Perisic, Bissouma, and Bentancur are going to have to be top notch, in the discussion for league team of the season type good. Our whole team was that level in 16/17, Wanyama was world class too. 26 goals conceded in the league! +60 GD!

Feels like that team is underrated now, absolute buzzsaw of a group. One of the best teams in Europe, can't believe we were so shite in the UCL group stage.

It's not though, the first 11 was great but the squad was severely lacking

Our backups were Davies, Wimmer, Trippier, Sissoko, Lamela, Jansen, Winks, KWP, Nkoudou.

It's not though, the first 11 was great but the squad was severely lacking

Our backups were Davies, Wimmer, Trippier, Sissoko, Lamela, Jansen, Winks, KWP, Nkoudou.
Depth is great and important, but ultimately having a top starting 11 is way more important than depth as evidenced by our dominance that year. Every year since than we've had better depth, but worse results. Does that mean the squad was better? I'd say no. In evaluating a squad, you start with quality and then move onto quantity.

Depth is great and important, but ultimately having a top starting 11 is way more important than depth as evidenced by our dominance that year. Every year since than we've had better depth, but worse results. Does that mean the squad was better? I'd say no. In evaluating a squad, you start with quality and then move onto quantity.

You're having a different argument.

Subject is is this the best squad ever assembled and this squad is simply better than the 2016/17 squad hands down.

And despite what the league stated with Chelsea winning it we had the best 1-11 in the league but if we had a squad to compete we would have won the league and/or a cup.

You're having a different argument.

Subject is is this the best squad ever assembled and this squad is simply better than the 2016/17 squad hands down.

And despite what the league stated with Chelsea winning it we had the best 1-11 in the league but if we had a squad to compete we would have won the league and/or a cup.
I guess? Do 1-11 just not count as part of the squad? We certainly have a better bench now.

Being perfectly setup to play a certain team and being effective against them doesn't mean you're as good as them.

I'm sure Wolves did the double over City once, and it wasn't a total bus park in either game. We're setup well vs the big teams, this does not = being capable of over 90 points, which is what you need now to challenge for the league.
The squad has got to help with that though. Consistently beating weaker teams will come down to morale and luck imo.

A squad is literally the makeup of your entire team not just the first 11.
Sure, I'm just saying our 11 in 16/17 was so much better than present that it doesn't matter that our bench and 11-25 is better now. The squad, as a whole, was superior in 16/17 as there was more quality.

None of our current players, outside the ones who were in the 16/17 side as well (Kane, Son, Lloris) get into the 16/17 side. Walker, Vertonghen, Toby, Rose, Dele, Eriksen, Wanyama, and Dembele are better than any of their replacements on the current evidence. Though we have players who could go up a notch. There's not shame in that, 16/17 was just an amazing group of players and the near peak of their powers.

The squad has got to help with that though. Consistently beating weaker teams will come down to morale and luck imo.

It takes a lot to hit that kind of tally. Momentum is one thing for sure, luck is definitely another (even City & Liverpool have had off seasons due to injuries) but for me one of the biggest ones is developing that fear factor.

Teams play Liverpool & City sometimes and feel they're beaten before they even play the game. United used to have that same aura.

Sure, I'm just saying our 11 in 16/17 was so much better than present that it doesn't matter that our bench 11-25 is better now. The squad, as a whole, was superior in 16/17 as there was more quality.

It kinda does if you're evaluating the whole squad :D

Like I get it, that team was great but the problem was that when one of those players was missing the drop in quality was massive.

Basically I'd back that first 11 to beat this current first 11 in a one off match but I'd back this squad to actually win something.

It takes a lot to hit that kind of tally. Momentum is one thing for sure, luck is definitely another (even City & Liverpool have had off seasons due to injuries) but for me one of the biggest ones is developing that fear factor.

Teams play Liverpool & City sometimes and feel they're beaten before they even play the game. United used to have that same aura.
Yeah I agree.

However I think if we are in a situation where we win 5 in a row, couple of them by three goals or more and a win against a top 4 side… I think we have the fear factor.

The key is how we respond to disappointing results.

I also think luck is HUGE.

Man City had a great season last year - no doubt. They won TEN games by a single goal. Including that amazing game on the last day. Not hard to imagine them dropping 6 more points and still being good.

Liverpool won SEVEN games by a single goal. If a couple of those turn…

And l think you will see a depressed season from them because there are limitations on what humans can do playing every 3 days in a compressed season like this even with a bigger squad. Teams without Europe will have a relative advantage… fewer players at the World Cup means a rest for most of the squad.

That will affect us too of course but it will make the role of luck and tight results MORE important not less.

Back
Top Bottom