If Ched Evans was a decent player

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you welcome Ched Evans at Spurs (if he was a PL level player)?

• Yes

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • No

Votes: 80 86.0%

• Total voters
Is this some sort of trick/trap?

I don't know what you mean...

eyTBRMw.png

I think the question should be if Ronaldo or Messi got done for rape, would the footballing world be more willing to allow them back in to the game? My gut reaction would be yes. Personally, I'd find it hard to justify but I think the general reaction would be that they are a treasure of the game and football would be worse off without them. People are quite happy to overlook very dark traits in footballers if they are especially talented. Just look at the case with Suarez. He's bitten another human being on a football field three times and racially abused a fellow player but we're happy to see him come back to football cos he's really fucking good. It's a curious hypocrisy when it comes to talented players and their misgivings.

Im not actually sure he's guilty tbh, but i wouldn't feel comfortable getting behind a convicted rapist. Same as i don't want/like Suarez. I just don't like pricks.

If all things were the same apart from he was a league winning type of player then yes. This is purely a case by case thing, there are major questions about his case. You can bet your arse that if he was a higher caliber of "celebrity" the case wouldn't of stuck to him. The negative would be the amount of attention the club would receive, that'd have to be outweighed by the what the player brought to the team. Also you would have to ask the senior players in the team what they thought about it, that could create serious tension if mishandled.
It certainly is a tricky and emotive question due what he was convicted for.

Wearing the lilywhite shirt should be a privilege, and if you do that to someone you shouldn't have that privilege.

Although I'd be grateful if someone could explain why the other player that had sex with her wasn't convicted considering she was too drunk to consent to Evans?

Definitely was an unusual case in that regard. The reasoning was however that the woman met Clayton McDonald earlier in the night, when she appeared to be less drunk, and agreed to return to the hotel with him. Therefore it was deemed by the jury that McDonald reasonably believed she was consenting to sex, having already done so at least implicitly. However, she had never had any contact with Evans before the incident occurred, and by that stage was described by hotel staff as "extremely drunk", as well as being unable to walk unsupported. By that stage it was deemed a) that she was not capable of consenting and b) that Evans could not credibly have believed she'd consented to having sex with him, hence he was convicted but there was not enough evidence to put the McDonald case beyond all reasonable doubt.

There's no doubting that the woman who was raped was a raging chickenhead, but despite that it's also clear Evans seems to have slipped one in her without her permission or atleast when she was deemed to be unfit to make a decision. Evans was most likely a sneaky little sex pest who thought he'd be able to get away with it easily but back to the question in the original post....yes I do think his girlfriend has a thick layer of sperm covering her brain and is to women what the Transformer movies are to film making.

Everyone mentioning Messi, Ronaldo, Lloris, etc - are none of you able to read the title of the thread? You know the "if Ched Evans was a decent player" bit?

Every one of us would welcome a rapey Messi to the club, but not a shitey Championship striker who's got done for shoplifting. That's where the "if he were a decent player" bit comes in.

I don't want anyone at our club who has been convicted of any serious crime, especially one that includes violence against women, I don't care how good they are, we have to show some level of moral gumption, and demonstrate that this is totally unacceptable behaviour. Modern footballers think they can do what they like without any comeback, this can't go on.

It's really easy to say "obviously no, I wouldn't welcome him" but would our collective reaction really be the same if Lloris did something similar?
Everyone mentioning Messi, Ronaldo, Lloris, etc - are none of you able to read the title of the thread? You know the "if Ched Evans was a decent player" bit?

Every one of us would welcome a rapey Messi to the club, but not a shitey Championship striker who's got done for shoplifting. That's where the "if he were a decent player" bit comes in.

Personally my reaction would be the same. If Lloris did the same, then as sad as it'd be I wouldn't want him near our football club. Nobody here was particularly keen on the hypothetical concept of Suarez - a racist with violent streaks and a bad temper. For me a convicted rapist who has used violence to cause huge amounts of suffering to an innocent victim is actually worse than that. Especially one who is completely and totally unrepentant, and who's behaviour actually causes further damage by encouraging idiots on Twitter to pester and threaten his victim or, worse, reveal her (new) identity.

He has done his time etc but how I see it is if that was me or you I very much doubt we would get our previous job backs. Let alone get a new one.

Your chances of a decent job would be fucked with a Criminal record for rape.

Back
Top Bottom