Ian Broomfield - looks like levy got him back

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I dont think ithere is a set template for what a dof is. I also think the management structures across every club all become very similar after a fashion, names may be different but the same jobs need doing.

A dof could be a general manager, with all departments reporting into him (first team / medical / academy / scouting...)
He could simply be a facilitator to smooth the way these various departments work together.
He could be an architect, actively building his vision for the club....

Baldini? Ive actually no idea what his specific remit is.

We have for years now operated transfers on a comittee basis (Levy, Baldini, AVB, Sherwood last I recal) so I guess once a target is identified Baldini does the deal.
Sherwood was looking after the development squad and loaning of players.
AVB ran the team.
Levy kept out of the way (hopefully!)

As to scouting etc I assume Baldini was in charge?

Its a good question, Im sat here wondering what he does now!

Wow, he got credit for spotting Sandro? I'm pretty sure I was touting him as a good prospect 6 months before we were linked to him so I must be some kind of scouting God then...

Scouting in modern football is insanely easy. This almost makes me as annoyed as the Newcastle bloke who gets credit for 'spotting' French players who are already established national team players and Ligue 1 regulars.

This guy works with Harry all the time. Looks like Harry might be looking for a new job come the summer. Is it inconceivable that we'd re-hire Redknapp, given our current position?

This was the bit that bothered me with him. Harry normally scouts through agents and buys whoever offers the best back hander! What was Broomfield doing!?

I dont think ithere is a set template for what a dof is. I also think the management structures across every club all become very similar after a fashion, names may be different but the same jobs need doing.

A dof could be a general manager, with all departments reporting into him (first team / medical / academy / scouting...)
He could simply be a facilitator to smooth the way these various departments work together.
He could be an architect, actively building his vision for the club....

Baldini? Ive actually no idea what his specific remit is.

We have for years now operated transfers on a comittee basis (Levy, Baldini, AVB, Sherwood last I recal) so I guess once a target is identified Baldini does the deal.
Sherwood was looking after the development squad and loaning of players.
AVB ran the team.
Levy kept out of the way (hopefully!)

As to scouting etc I assume Baldini was in charge?

Its a good question, Im sat here wondering what he does now!
The only thing that The Club have said about him and his responsibilities are the following (when confirming his appointment) "Franco is extremely well respected in the industry, possessing an extensive knowledge of players around the world," Levy said. "He will strengthen our football management team, particularly in the field of recruitment, working closely with André Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood across all levels on the playing side." Typical statement from Levy, very short and full of ambiguity.

For me I just wish the club would communicate more openly about roles and responsibilities. I can't understand how it benefits the club by keeping it undercover. All this secret squirrel stuff from Levy just fans the flames of speculation, creates a divide within the fans and ultimately heeps dissatisfaction back onto the club. I deeply envy Ajax or Barca supporters as a winning frame work is in place, it attracts the best young tallent from arround the world, clearly defind roles from top to bottom accross the football departments and gives somthing the fans can get behind and understand and champion.

I read that as he is there for recruitment, at both senior and academy level. Probably gonig for player types/positions the respective coaches see as required.
As you say though, its ambiguous and could really mean anything.

I like the idea of transparency. It would either confirm or quell a lot of the talk we have about people in the club ("Sherwood was briefing against AVB..." etc) and it would also make it clear who is good at what they do - it would make it easier as fans to support and get involved even.

I've just heard that Broomfield's son is working for us as a scout in Australia. The problem being that he has no interest in football and doesn't actually work at all, but is still being paid by us.
Nepotism and unnecessary wages, I don't like it.

Info is coming from a friend of a friend of Broomfield's son. If it were to be true though, surely Broomfield would know about it? I don't exactly trust people who hang around Redknapp...

He probably gets paid a basic freelance amount for going to the odd game.

Not much point in having a full time scout there, but handy to have someone that Broomfield knows.

Back
Top Bottom