How Spurs can avoid burnout

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

good article. its like he read my mind.
my biggest doubt about poch is burn out. just like last season.
can't think of many managers who have got there teams to keep up that work rate season after season.
thats the biggest flaw in his regime. hopefully he can combat it.
it wont be easy.

refreshing to hear him say we hid behind the unbeaten record whenever our performance dropped or we dropped pts.
he also says we overvalued the unbeaten run.
he is right. it got to the stage where some were saying they would prefer to stay unbeaten rather than have more pts

the other thing i didnt realise is that we have lost the most pts from winning positions.
which kind of goes against the theory we come on strong in the latter stages of games due to our superior fitness.

to save the "must not say a negative against spurs" posters the trouble of spinning this stat (totti being a good example. dont change, good to stay positive!).
so what we have lost 11 pts from winning positions. it means we are the best at something. & it just shows how poch has got these youngsters to be able to be brave enough to strike the first blow. he has taken away the fear factor. they are fearless young warriors serving general poch.

anyway. the burn out seems to be our biggest obstacle in moving foward.

i guess rotation, a few more signings & easing off in some training sessions would all help.

the only other thing not in the article that i can think of is a different style of play. when we can use when 2 goals up. a more energy conserving style to see out games. i think we kinda did that against saints.

its a long season. if u can take it a bit easier for the last 20-30mins of games then that will help in the long run.

i am not sure about starting with a plan B style of play that takes less out of the player than plan A. maybe just use it when appropriate.

1 thing i kind of disagree with is his praise for wenger. i feel like something he does contributes to all the injuries his players get. or is it the type of players he gets are more injury prone.
for example he is known for bringing back players too early or playing them when they are carrying an injury. sanchez a few wks ago is a good example.

but 1 thing that backs the writer up is the fact the Woolwich usually come on strong in the 2nd half of the season. so maybe wenger has a lot to do with that.

before anyone starts, i think poch has done an amazing job! i am just voicing my 1 big concern & doubt.

Last edited:
How to avoid burnout - keep up training regimes so they stay fit.

It's really not that difficult.

90 minutes of football once, sometimes twice a week. Some training in between.

Use of the best in medical technology and doctors on hand reviewing everything from distance run to how many eyelashes they've lost.

Sure, we'll need to rotate a bit, but these are hardly the fittest athletes in the world. Training regimes for sports like swimming and long distance cycling are far more gruelling, and often means year after year of daily training.

I'll get shot down, but I really do think way more is made of this than is necessary.

"There were few signs of fatigue during the second half at St Mary’s when Spurs comfortably protected their two-goal first-half lead with their characteristic pressing and high-tempo passing, but Pochettino is planning to tailor his approach to training ahead of three games in nine days. “We have special plans for everyone,” he said. “In the way that we work with all the staff we try to carry them with individual plans for young and older players because every player needs different things.”"

Excellent read JB.
I had kept an article from a S'ton blog that was posted after it was known that he was coming to us.
At the time I wasn't convinced, because of his track record, that he was the right coach for us.
I trashed the article at the end of last season....
Hey....."When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?" JM Keynes.
Anyway the Saints' supporter criticised him for using a squad of only 13 players (with few exceptions) during his season there.
On the subject of 'burn out' it's not just the physical aspect that's affected, a player's mental performance deteriorates also which leads
to unenforced errors.
Before I get 'chewed out' for negativity'... just a warning flag that's all....

A Spurs fan wrote that? Fucking Hell.

Banish all thoughts of ‘doing a Spurs’, only then to do a Spurs - We lost our 2nd game of the season, that is NOT "doing a Spurs".
In recent years Tottenham are perhaps the Premier League’s most well-documented chokers - I've been living on Mars, where have we chocked? Where is this documentation?
Above it all you need to have confidence in your squad players to do a job. In my opinion this is what makes Arsene Wenger one of the best. He epitomises everything about man management. Fuck the right off with this! He plays other squad members because his players are made of glass. He has been accused of over-playing his players and causing injuries!!

How is dropping 11 points from winning positions relevant to avoiding burnout? We have dropped points because we have the youngest side in the League, we will drop more points this year because we have the youngest side in the league.

Rant over.

I really don't know if it means much at all would but love to know how many points we have gained from losing positions
It doesn't matter really. The bottom line is the score at the final whistle. We have dropped points from winning positions, I think, due to a combination of inexperience, general fatigue & on occasions, the wrong decisions on the pitch. We mustn't forget that the manager himself is also very young, relatively inexperienced at the top level & is liable to the odd tactical brainfart. But the overall picture is one of optimism in my opinion. Young team, young manager, new stadium in the next couple of years, 4th in the EPL at Xmas, topped the Europa league group etc. What's not to like about where we are at? The team hasn't reached its ceiling yet & the exciting thing for me is that none of us know what that ceiling can be. Hopefully we can keep Poch's key players & supplement them with the odd signing. Cover for Harry (been said a million times already) is the most important thing. Let's hope it's addressed in the window to the managers satisfaction

We have dropped points because we have the youngest side in the League, we will drop more points this year because we have the youngest side in the league.

Agree with this - often one of our subs has been Dembele off for Mason, Alli, Bentaleb, Carroll, etc.

Wouldn't mind seeing us sign one older centre mid or attacker that has that bit of composure to calm the youngsters down in tight spots.

What is a 'winning position'. Is it being 1 up in the first minute and conceding 2 goals in the 5th and 10th and losing 2-1?
Is it being one up and conceding the goals in the last few mins?

for example: take the first scenario - 1 up in 1st min and concede 2 in 10 mins - what happens if you then equalise in the closing min to make it 2-2.
Do you then go from saving points from a losing position, or have you dropped them from a winning position? A game lasts as long as it lasts, you're in a wining position when it's over.
5 nil up with 5 minutes to go and then drawing or losing may be classed as dropping points from a winning position. However, 1, 2 or even 3 nil up with 45 to go isn't.
Maybe it's better to say dropped points after scoring first or from a leading position?

Isn't the whole "dropping points from a winning position" just a case of us scoring earlier in games?
yet if we win from losing positions, its never the other team just scoring earlier.
its a sign of character & never say die attitude.
which is it? i am confused.

A
yet if we win from losing positions, its never the other team just scoring earlier.
its a sign of character & never say die attitude.
which is it? i am confused.
appreciate that and am not arguing one way or the other - more a case that unless we're winning every game 6-0 scoring at 15,30,45,60,75 and 90 mins there'll always be a skew in the timing of the goals!

Back
Top Bottom