How long can we afford to give Soldado?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Bardi Bardi nailed it on this week's podcast when he said if Soldado was to work out he needs a run of games but no manager in their right mind would risk their job on giving him a run of games.

Unless he starts scoring in Europa I could see him leaving in January. It's sad that it's come to this but it just isn't working out.

Can't score, can't hold the ball up, can't get in the box I don't know whats gone wrong with him but I don't think it's fixable. Would sell and get in someone else, only Kane look like a proper goal scorer for us which is kind of worrying.

Can't score, can't hold the ball up, can't get in the box I don't know whats gone wrong with him but I don't think it's fixable. Would sell and get in someone else, only Kane look like a proper goal scorer for us which is kind of worrying.
I think Kane looks to be our best striker, but I feel that both he and Soldado deserve a spell in front of our best midfield before we write anyone off. I would really like to see both get a chance with the Lamela-Eriksen-Chadli line behind them so we can see them with the best possible platform, and then make the call.

I think Kane looks to be our best striker, but I feel that both he and Soldado deserve a spell in front of our best midfield before we write anyone off. I would really like to see both get a chance with the Lamela-Eriksen-Chadli line behind them so we can see them with the best possible platform, and then make the call.

I've been reading your posts and I seem to disagree with almost everything you write. It's all good, opinions etc but it's something I noticed.

We are a few points off second. Putting Kane up there with Soldado who has been a ghost could impact Kane's game and keep us from gelling as that will be more chopping and changing. Kane is young and that's too much responsibility.

Soldado needs to play in the cups. The most important aspect: don't play him with Lennon and Townsend. IMO that has been the main reason behind his form. They are just not clicking.

Soldado IMO needs a different midfield behind him in the cups. I think Paulinho, Dembele and Bentaleb as AMs in the 3 will get him way more chances than Lennon and Townsends style of buildup.

Soldado is a fox in the box. At least the players I mentioned can hold it up and create chaos in there.

If we play Yownsend or Lennon in the cups, it should with Soldado going off and them coming on.

I agree with Juicy Lucy we need to see both in front feeding off each other.

At who's expense?

Ade and ??? Eriksen? Lamela? Chadli? The guys who are actually scoring and assisting?
African cup coming up soon, Ade will be away for another month or so at 150,000 pounds a week until he decided to come home after having pictures taken of him dolling out the money so we can play them then!

unless we are going to play defence splitting though balls Soldado will not score goals,
he wants/needs the ball played between the defenders, this has never happened,
from the first game of last season (crystal palace) I could see he would get fed up, we never played that though ball for him to run on too, look at the goals he scored in spain, why do the managers think they can change his style of play

I agree with Juicy Lucy we need to see both in front feeding off each other.
I wasn't advocating the pair at the same time. I meant that each deserved a chance as a lone striker in front of Lamela-Eriksen-Chadli so that we could see them in the best possible circumstances.

Last edited:
African cup coming up soon, Ade will be away for another month or so at 150,000 pounds a week until he decided to come home after having pictures taken of him dolling out the money so we can play them then!
This time the club should just sack and and possibly do a Mutu? And people still wonder why AVB froze him out..

'The twelve-time Spain international was almost shut out of the first team completely when Villas-Boas was controversially sacked by Chairman Daniel Levy and Tim Sherwood was chosen to replace him. With the appointment of Sherwood came the return to the first team of Emmanuel Adebayor, who scored in his first game back at the Lane against West Ham in the Capital One Cup. Manny was a favourite of Tim’s, reducing Soldado to a sporadic first team player for the remainder of the 2013/14 season.'

Bit of revisionism there imo. Below is a link to the lineups for last season. When Sherwood took over he played Soldado alongside Adebayor in a 'lopsided 422' often resembling a 433 for a short run of games - a decent idea which took the pressure off Soldado but he didn't score although Adebayor did. Adebayor had a couple of minor knocks and Sherwood exerimented with a couple of ideas some including Soldado before the last 7 games when Soldado was dropped in favour of an Adebayor/Kane attack with both scoring 3 goals each from open play - Soldado scored 1 goal from open play when AVB was manager and one when Sherwood was manager in the PL. http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Tottenham_Hotspur_Results_2013-14.html

Evreyone has hoped Soldado would replicate his Spanish form - but maybe PL defences are harder and do not give strikers as much time and space as Spanish defences.

Poch's current line up seems to expect the front 4 to interchange positions - for example the goal against Southampton started with Adebayor getting the ball and dribbling forward from the LW position before passing to Lamela on the left hand of the penalty box line who in turn passed to Chadli who was close to a an inside left/no 10 position close to the pelty box line - who scored.

So Adebayor (nominally CF) , Lamela (nominally RW), Chadli (LW) were playing out of their position.

However Soldado when played seems to stay in the CF position in the box - can he adopt to Poch's tactics ?

If we need to adopt the tactics to allow Soldado to stay in the box, will the tactics be as effective ?

That's nothing to do with my question. I already presumed you wanted ade out. Who out of eriksen, Lamela and Chadli will you drop for Soldado?

I wasn't advocating the pair at the same time. I meant that each deserved a chance as a lone striker in front of Lamela-Eriksen-Chadli so that we could see them in the best possible circumstances.

What has Soldado done to deserve a place over Ade? Ade has been in poor form, but Soldados has been worse.

What has Soldado done to deserve a place over Ade? Ade has been in poor form, but Soldados has been worse.
As I said elsewhere, while I believe Kane to be the best striker we have, I feel it is unfair to compare the other two given their circumstances. Adebayor has had the benefit of playing in front of our most creative players. Soldado was sent out with a midfield of Lennon-Paulinho-Townsend. When Soldado has shared time with Lamela on the pitch this year he has been much more successful. Ergo, I want to see Soldado get to play with the best possible support (something he's never actually had), and then judge him. As it stands we've been trying to go off-roading with a Ferrari.

As I said elsewhere, while I believe Kane to be the best striker we have, I feel it is unfair to compare the other two given their circumstances. Adebayor has had the benefit of playing in front of our most creative players. Soldado was sent out with a midfield of Lennon-Paulinho-Townsend. When Soldado has shared time with Lamela on the pitch this year he has been much more successful. Ergo, I want to see Soldado get to play with the best possible support (something he's never actually had), and then judge him. As it stands we've been trying to go off-roading with a Ferrari.

I agree that midfield will be better for Soldado.

But it will be really soft. That could impact the players you said are our best attackers.

Back
Top Bottom