How important is it for Pochettino that we finish 2nd?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't mean does he care if we finish 2nd as opposed to how significant might it be as a fan if we fail to secure 2nd in relation to our thoughts on Pochettino. Try to forget that Woolwich take 2nd if we lose.

I believe Pochettino expected us to lose against Southampton. He has said very little as if to say the atmosphere around the club from last Monday to Sunday's game had taken its to. I get that.

But now the match with Newcastle, the first time in however long that we have started a match at the same time and not after Leicester takes on added significance I feel. It's a game where he has to ensure we get the right result.

Woolwich we drew when the win would have taken us top for a few hours at least. West Brom we drew when we were primed to put the pressure on again and then Chelsea clawed their way back when we could at least have hoped the useless Everton might have found some pride. The Saints game could also have seen us secure 2nd even if I understand the difficulty in that.

So on a scale of 1-10 and on a personal capacity how important do you feel it is to Pochettino that he sees us into 2nd?

maxresdefault.jpg

It's not just a Pochettino thing. As a fan, I want the team to finish on a high, after a relatively weak run of results and a disappointing last home match of the season. I hope Poch and the players are driven and focused enough to put on a strong display and go for the full points at Newcastle. Aside from the 2nd place issue, it'll really be a piss on our parade if we end such a promising season by losing 2 games on the trot.

I don't think it's anything to not WANTING to finish 2nd... I'm sure they do, now that we're in a position to do so...
It's more to do with the fact that at the START of the season, I'm sure that 'just' CL Qualification was the target... even if it meant going into the qualifiers by finishing 4th... (and I'm pretty sure most would've expected Arseanal to be occupying one of the places above us anyway...
We've surpassed that already, and as such; it's job done.
Mission accomplished!
ANYTHING else is a bonus...

If it were Man City 2 points behind us in 3rd there wouldn't be any of the 'panic' that they might overtake us...

Even IF there is a desire to finish as high as possible, (and remember, being Runners-up in the league is something MANY of us haven't seen in our lifetimes...)
The fact it's Arse behind us makes the matter that more urgent...
But we've GOT to go into the game with confidence... simply based on the fact that as it stands, we are the 2nd best (and at WORST) the 3rd best team in THE COUNTRY!!

Poch like all of us will be saddened on how we missed out on the title and if we finish third will also feel annoyed and frustrated that we managed to throw that away and finish below Woolwich.

But once the dust has settled and the air has cleared. He will realise that top 4 was the target set out and we exceeded those expectations.

Now go into next season with Poch and the players looking up and fully focused on a title hunt. You find hungrier players and players willing to join the club wanting to be part of that title hunt. There is a bigger picture here and Poch will want to be part of something he's helped create.

There is a saying you are only as good as your last result. Winning the last match of the season stays in the memory for longer because we do not play again until August. Even if we are in a position in the league that will not change whatever the result which has happened some seasons, I still want to win.
This year it could mean 2nd, highest points total ever, beating the scum and avenging the home defeat by Newcastle. Of course it matters a lot and the only thing stopping me being really pissed off after recent results is that all of those 4 things were still on. A draw would achieve 2 of those targets but a defeat would end the season on a low.
Yes 3rd is above my early season expectations but we need to end the season on a high and the recent results will be forgotten.

I'm not sure I get people saying they'd be happy with third given where they thought we'd be at the beginning of the season. That was almost a year ago, goals have changed since then. Let's not aim for bare minimum. 2nd and nothing else please.

I'm not sure I get people saying they'd be happy with third given where they thought we'd be at the beginning of the season. That was almost a year ago, goals have changed since then. Let's not aim for bare minimum. 2nd and nothing else please.
I dunno. On one hand I agree, but on the other it occurs to me that we are now set to finish at least third, with automatic qualification for the CL, and I fear that some fans have lost sight of just how massive an achievement that still is.

I don't think Poch cares that much. He wants to win the game and he wants to finish as high as possible, but if we finish below Woolwich it isn't going to have the same effect on him as the fans because he is professional and says we shouldn't be worried about what Woolwich do.

As a fan it would not be good to finish behind Woolwich. They're shit and we deserve to finish ahead of them. I don't think I could take their BS if they finished ahead of us, and I am sure they are just as worried about finishing behind us and having to put up with our BS toward them.

Newcastle have nothing and they know they have fucked up big time. They haven't just got relegated...they got relegated by their rivals, at the expense of their rivals. What could be worse. I expect us to win this game. Fuck third. Fuck Woolwich. Poch is a very good manager, so it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom