Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

TL;DR
-This is one of the last two chances for exemption Son has. He opted out of the 2012 Olympics to focus on his club career at Hamburg and his teammates won the bronze medal without him. So that may be in his mind when he's making this decision. Only a bronze medal or greater will grant exemption.
-Military service is normally 2 years and he has to report when he's 28 years old at the latest. His footballing career would be over and Tottenham would essentially lose him with nothing in return.
-There is no way to bribe your way out of service. Keep in mind there's a deranged fat fuck of a dictator north of the border claiming to have nukes, not to mention the massive artillery barrage permanently aimed at South Korea's capital, Seoul.
Thanks for explaining this.
Basically, he has little choice other than to represent his country this summer & again in the Asia cup, in the hope of winning a medal for South Korea?

If not, he has to report for service before he's 28, & probably lose 2 of the "peak" years of his professional career?

Quick question- is there any precedent that would allow him to delay military service until his playing career has finished, or is it set in stone that he must do it before he's 28?

He is stuck in a very shitty situation by the sounds of it.

Completely agree with this.
I believe the Olympics should have remained amateur only and to have sports like football/tennis and now golf, etc is ridiculous.
I probably wouldn't have much of a problem with him going if it ran alongside the Euros and so he would be back the same time as everyone else.

The Dier example is spot on. A CB that got pretty much no game time last year. I think most of us thought he was gone last summer. A full pre-season and he emerges as possibly the best DM in the country.

If Poch could replicate even a little bit of the magic with Son he really could be important for us next year.

You've convinced me :)
If hes not allowed to go lets hope Korea isn't too pissed with us :(

Well at least it's only the South!

We'd get a rocket from the North, probably landing on Lordship Lane!
:sonlol:

Seriously he shouldn't go full stop and the Olympics should be strictly Amateur IMO

Maybe he could ask for political asylum in North Korea, i.e. I don't want to point a gun across the border. I'm sure the Dear Leader would agree to him not having to do National Service for the Workers Paradise or whatever they call themselves these days.

Won't get a pre-season due to olympics.
Will join the team half-fit.
Will take 2 months to get fit.
His spot has been taken by new signing/Njie/Pritchard
Bench sits until injury
Hasn't had game time so doesn't perform
Gets dropped
Sold in the summer for £15 mil

All so obvious.

8 goals 6 assists in his first season in EPL. What a bunch of plastic fans here. Forgot about Lamela's performance in his first two years?

It's not his goals or assists that worry, it's his first touch, his upper body strength, the presence of mind to move the ball quickly when under pressure, the ability to win the ball back and provide a physical challenge to players and the intelligence to not try and dribble past 5 people every time you get the ball.

You can be as big a fan boy as you like, but Son, in terms of strength, is pathetic and I'd put good money on 95% of people in this forum being able to out muscle him. You can't come to the most physically demanding league in the wall and have the muscle of a stick insect.

For the sake of comparison, Modric was was 5'7 and very lithe, yet he never lost the ball or was pushed off it. Son will need to add a lot more weight before he becomes anything like competitive.

To answer some previous questions, besides the Olympics the only other chance for exemption would be the Asian Games, which is basically the Asian continental Olympics. Asian Cup (equivalent to Euros or Copa America) does not grant exemption, although who knows if a special exception would be made if our national team pulled their heads out of their asses and won it for the first time in forever.

Won't get a pre-season due to olympics.
Will join the team half-fit.
Will take 2 months to get fit.
His spot has been taken by new signing/Njie/Pritchard
Bench sits until injury
Hasn't had game time so doesn't perform
Gets dropped
Sold in the summer for £15 mil

All so obvious.
Yes that would be the worst case scenario. But after spending so much of the season out and then taking a while to get back to fitness, would it really help him to take the next 2-3 months off? He's coming off an extremely low-minute season anyway. I'm hoping that he can get back into form with the Olympic team and come back to Spurs fit and sharp, ready to hit the ground running.

Continues building up the fitness that took him so long to get back since the foot injury.
Goes into the Olympics running on all cylinders.
Wins the Golden Boot and a gold medal, beating Brazil on the way.
Neymar holds a press conference to acknowledge Son's superiority and to announce his retirement.
Comes back to Spurs, Son and Kane win joint Golden Boot in EPL and UCL in a historic double.
Spurs tell Real to fuck off when they come knocking. :dembelefingers:

Obviously this is the opposite extreme, we'll probably end up somewhere in the middle (I hope).

At the end of it all, I'm as disappointed as any of you with the way the season has gone, both for Spurs and for Son. But I think he's earned another season to win his doubters over.

He is feeble. Looks terrified when the ball comes to him. Controls the ball an average of twelve yards with his first touch.

Don't want to write him off like I did Lamela, but he's being fuck awful for 90% of his minutes this season.

Back
Top Bottom