Have we signed Frank de Boer yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whats the score, Frank de Boer?

• Total voters
With Young-Pyo as assistant?

upmain.jpg

Lol holy shit that's rich

I would love De boer but I hope to god levy gives him a chance if he does come..would hate for him to be another avb

I think at very least Frank a lot more experienced, connected throughout Europe more so than AVB and seems to have the man management gene that AVB maybe wasnt best at. We have a nice little squad and he will have a lot to play with - fingers crossed we go early in case of a bigger merry go round

Got in late so only just seen this. 10 hugely enjoyable pages. SouthStand Billy SouthStand Billy , I know just what you mean about a little lift of the spirits, I really hope it comes to something. I love the Tottenham/Ajax connection with ex-Spur Vic Buckingham coaching Ajax to an Eredivisie in 59/60, establishing the brand of pass and move football that Ajax are famous for, before, er, leaving them to manage Barcelona. I very much enjoyed Brilliant Orange I should admit. Frank is the man. Proven winner, and coming off a high in a professional sense, unlike AVB, as JDK JDK pointed out earlier. Fantastic if it happens.

Last edited:
I have literally come out of surgery for kidney stones and this is superb news!! Come on down Frank - we got the right man!!

See CJJ CJJ what did I tell you!

Come on Frank lets have you!!!
I have been through that surgery man hope it went well they can be fucking painful, excuse my French

Song anyone?? ONLY IF he comes!! Don't wanna tempt fate!!!

"Frankie, Frankie de Boer,
Everyone knows his name....!"

OR.,,,

"de Boer de Boer-in Tottenham!"

Last edited:
I'm just not sure about this, someone tell me why he would be so amazing compared to past managers? From my point of view he's had a good playing career and now a fantastic record with the one team he's managed, am I right in saying he's never managed another team though? Isn't that a downfall?

We all know about the shortfalls of employing someone who has had some success at inferior level competitions whether that be Ramos - UEFA cup, or AVB with Porto. I'd much rather go for someone who has had success with several teams or at least managed several teams at high level. This is why I was keen on LVG, having managed some of the top sides in the world and a massive amount of experience with various clubs/competitions.

As soon as FdB has a bad run people are going to be on his back, pointing out his relative lack of experience and the fact he only won the less competitive Eredivisie. With a manager like Capello, LVG, Benitez etc we couldn't question them on those things at least (know people will always find something to pick on).

I'm just not sure about this, someone tell me why he would be so amazing compared to past managers? From my point of view he's had a good playing career and now a fantastic record with the one team he's managed, am I right in saying he's never managed another team though? Isn't that a downfall?

We all know about the shortfalls of employing someone who has had some success at inferior level competitions whether that be Ramos - UEFA cup, or AVB with Porto. I'd much rather go for someone who has had success with several teams or at least managed several teams at high level. This is why I was keen on LVG, having managed some of the top sides in the world and a massive amount of experience with various clubs/competitions.
As soon as FdB has a bad run people are going to be on his back, pointing out his relative lack of experience and the fact he only won the less competitive Eredivisie. With a manager like Capello, LVG, Benitez etc we couldn't question them on those things at least (know people will always find something to pick on).
I too wasn't sure, then he said Spurs were a sleeping giant, at which point my view changed to 'sign him up'!!!

What are the chances we can actually pull in a Capello or LVG?
And what are the chances we can get one who isnt on the downslope career wise?
Very, very slim IMO.

Personally I think we need to try and find 'the next' Capello/LVG level manager.

Looking at it I think there was a lot to like about AVB, a lot that appealed - but FDB is all of that and more.
He is the young snappy dressing manager
A football thinker with a comittment to a style of play
Very well thought of in the footballing world
Available (!)
and then...

He had an exceptional playing career which players will respect.
He has not had 1 good season, but 4 titles in a row.
he has worked in youth coaching, he knows how to develop players and how to bring them into the team.
He has had a couple of superb "masters" in his coaching apprenticeship.
He is a lot more experienced, a lot more rounded - and he needs an opportunity.

It could all go wrong, most Spurs appointments do - but what if it went well?

What are the chances we can actually pull in a Capello or LVG?
And what are the chances we can get one who isnt on the downslope career wise?
Very, very slim IMO.

Personally I think we need to try and find 'the next' Capello/LVG level manager.

Looking at it I think there was a lot to like about AVB, a lot that appealed - but FDB is all of that and more.
He is the young snappy dressing manager
A football thinker with a comittment to a style of play
Very well thought of in the footballing world
Available (!)
and then...

He had an exceptional playing career which players will respect.
He has not had 1 good season, but 4 titles in a row.
he has worked in youth coaching, he knows how to develop players and how to bring them into the team.
He has had a couple of superb "masters" in his coaching apprenticeship.
He is a lot more experienced, a lot more rounded - and he needs an opportunity.

It could all go wrong, most Spurs appointments do - but what if it went well?

The issue AVB had was his awarkard relationship with many players (Chelsea in particular), his defensive/cautious approach and the fact he was never a player himself. De Boer has none of these flaws and has done pretty well with (no disrespect) a very average Ajax team by their standards.

I think thats why him and Pochettino appeal to me, they are attacking managers and I can't ever see Spurs as a defensive team, they had good playing careers and therefore will garner respect, they have done well with good to average players rather than world class players, they are both very tactical managers.

I suppose the big question is now that De Boer has reacted and there are many stories on pochettino who would you prefer?

Reports that we have made approaches to other clubs regarding coaching staff are wholly inaccurate. We have NOT contacted any club regarding coaching appointments.

We regret that a statement such as this is necessary, however we feel it is important to clarify matters.

Tim is staying!

I suppose the big question is now that De Boer has reacted and there are many stories on pochettino who would you prefer?

Id be happy with either, but Id prefer De Boer.
While he hasnt done anything in England I feel he has done "more" than Pochettino. Has more experience, potentially offers more in general.

Thats not to say I would be disappointed with Pochettino though, quite the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom