Have we signed Frank de Boer yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whats the score, Frank de Boer?

• Total voters
tumblr_mh4oampfJ31s1x70vo1_500.gif

Interesting that his quote suggesting he'd prefer a "project club" he could build with such as us to a money fueled "established club" such as Monaco is exactly why I figured LvG might prefer us to Man U. Either way, I'd love to get the man that does truly feel as such, as I dig that attitude of him wanting to etch his name into our history.

Also have to like what he could do with convincing more of Ajax' young players to the Prem, as with how well they respect they would conceivably give him and his prospects more of a consideration than most other interested clubs. Players like Victor Fischer after another couple years development certainly come to mind. De Boer is quite familiar with the youth academy, and so would even have an advantage on getting to some of the more prospective players coming through one of the finest youth academies on the planet.

Get it did, Danny boy.

Another thing about FDB is that it would appear he has all the leverage going into any type of negotiations. Hopefully he will be able to get certain contractual assurances from Levy.

When we hired AVB he was coming off an embarrassing sacking. I'm sure he was thrilled to get back in a job especially at a club like Tottenham. Probably wasn't able to get all the stuff he would have preferred in the contract.

An excellent point indeed.

How will people feel if he gets the job, but needs more than a season to get top4? I.e. like Rodgers at Liverpool who he mentions as a reference to what he'd like to do with a club like Spurs.
Will people be calling for #FDB-OUT if we're 5th-7th come may?

How will people feel if he gets the job, but needs more than a season to get top4? I.e. like Rodgers at Liverpool who he mentions as a reference to what he'd like to do with a club like Spurs.

For me I think it will depend on who he brings in, the degree of manner of play he is observed to clearly instruct to the players, and the roles he clearly outlines to the players in such a setup. With Liverpool, as you rightly compare to, Rodgers used the fall to outline a clear method. In the spring he had brought in a few more players to help enhance this style, and suddenly they were playing some fantastic football. If there is a clear and strong plan evidently in place, I'm all for waiting.

Oh absolutely people will be. Just like they were with Rodgers. However, the chairman needs to fight such calls and allow the manager time.

I think it might not be as bad this time around considering Rodgers has provided a legitimate success story. Also, such a majority loathe Sherwood that it might lead to a leeriness about replacing a manager early in his tenure for fear of replicating what happened this time.

As well as which Im pretty confident we have the players for him to hit the ground well enough.

Not ideal, Im sure, but in the main he should be able to get us playing to get off to a start, and then improve with time.

I dont think it would be a total rebuild, not at all.

AVB had the team well versed in a 433(ish) pressing system. FDBs may be different, but some of the hard yards will already be done.

Good article on De Boer. http://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/14225?cc=5901

The modest town of Almelo, in the east of the Netherlands, was an unlikely place for history to be made but last Sunday, that's exactly what happened. Ajax grafted to a 1-1 draw with the local side Heracles, thus winning their fourth Eredivisie title in a row -- all under the guidance of head coach Frank de Boer.

It's an extraordinary achievement. Having matched club legends Rinus Michels and Louis van Gaal in winning three consecutive championships last year, de Boer has now gone one better. Some will say that the status of Dutch club football has fallen considerably since the eras in which the former two greats presided over the club, and they would be right.

Yet since taking the reins in December 2010 from Martin Jol, de Boer has turned Ajax around. When he took to the bench, the famous old club had not won the Eredivisie since 2004, and was in institutional crisis after a mass board resignation. While other famous names from the past have profoundly changed the club's structure, including Johan Cruyff and Dennis Bergkamp, de Boer has made sure the football side of the operation has functioned to the maximum of its capability.

His kinship with Michels and van Gaal goes beyond the trophies. Like his illustrious predecessors, he is a believer in the Ajax way: high pressing in a 4-3-3 formation, aiming to play as much as possible in the opponents' half of the pitch. Ever since his first match in charge as caretaker -- auspiciously, a 2-0 win at AC Milan in the Champions League -- this has been the plan.

frankdeboerajax2010training_576x324.jpg
GettyImages
Frank de Boer won his first game in temporary charge of Ajax against AC Milan in 2010.

Even for a traditionalist like de Boer, the reliance on the famed Ajax youth academy, Die Toekomst ("The Future"), has been rather more heavy than de Boer would have ideally desired this season. Captain Siem de Jong hasn't played since mid-March, the victim of the latest in a string of muscle injuries that have restricted him to 16 starts all season. The XI that started the match at Heracles had an average age of 23, with goal scorer Lasse Schone the senior member at 27.

In many ways, this is what makes this season's title his most impressive triumph yet. "Don't forget we have many young players this season," de Boer said in his news conference minutes after the draw at Heracles, looking back on the season. "A guy like Stefano Denswil played a lot, just like Joel Veltman. Davy Klaassen has been a great replacement for the injured Siem de Jong. While Thulani Serero played the whole season, and goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen took the baton over from Kenneth Vermeer. So many young guys aren't used to playing the entire year at the highest level."

Plugging gaps is, of course, part of economic reality in modern Dutch football, as de Boer well realises. Luis Suarez and Jan Vertonghen are among a plethora of top stars to leave the Amsterdam Arena while he has been in charge. This season, Christian Eriksen and key defender Toby Alderweireld exited in the days before summer deadline.

In this context, we must ask how much further he can go here, even with a club that he is so deeply passionate about. De Boer himself has already recognised the glass ceiling, proclaiming himself "satisfied" after the Champions League group-stage exit -- authored, in the end, by an avoidable loss to Celtic and the failure to finish off a lamentably weak Milan in the San Siro in the group's final match. A chastening two-leg lesson from Red Bull Salzburg later followed in the Europa League.

In May 2012, de Boer rejected the chance to be interviewed for the Liverpool post, before Brendan Rodgers was eventually appointed, but he has achieved so much more since then. It would be only human for him to wonder what he might do next.

Before Christmas, Tottenham were heavily linked with the Ajax boss as a potential replacement for the sacked Andre Villas-Boas, and should Tim Sherwood's reign be cut short as expected, it is a move that has its allure -- certainly more so than the style of play offered by David Moyes, another name in the frame, from the perspective of Spurs supporters.

frankdeboertrophycelebajax_576x324.jpg
GettyImagesFrank de Boer has guided Ajax to a fourth consecutive Eredivisie title.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy could be seduced by the idea too. De Boer's ability to combine imaginative coaching with tidy housekeeping would appeal, and players like Roberto Soldado and Erik Lamela -- pricy assets devalued under Sherwood -- would surely find a chance of redemption under the Dutchman. They are his kind of smart, technical players. With van Gaal seemingly off to Manchester United, de Boer could be the ideal fit, if he is given time to build.

The other obvious -- if slightly ambitious -- possibility is Barcelona. With Tata Martino expected to return to South America this summer, it is clear that a coach of Camp Nou stock is a part of the club's intended back-to-basics approach. It would be a big step up, but one that de Boer has the calmness to handle. His ability to successfully blood youth products into the first team could also come in very handy if the lingering threat of a transfer ban is eventually implemented.

Ultimately, it's de Boer's attention to detail at every level, as well as his positivity, that makes people believe that he could make the leap to joining the world's band of elite coaches. Asked before the Heracles match what he did to get the previous week's KNVB Beker final humiliation against PEC Zwolle out of his system, his response was typical of his outlook. "I saw the under-17 team win the Future Cup finals," he said, "and right after that, the Ajax reserves posted a great win. So that cheered me up."

What de Boer could do for his next club -- and the time is coming -- is clear. He just needs to be given time uncommon in today's game to make a full impact.

I think he wants a project club because he wants to be there for atleast 5 years and build the team slowly but surely to success, rather a big club which will want instant success.

I dn't think he knows what his getting himself into coz we might be a growing club but we seem to unrealisticly want instant success. I hope levy and co dn't fire him when he doesn't get us top 4 next season and don't listen to fans who might want the manager out coz of a few bad results or not obtaining top 4 ( myself included).

Plugging gaps is, of course, part of economic reality in modern Dutch football, as de Boer well realises. Luis Suarez and Jan Vertonghen are among a plethora of top stars to leave the Amsterdam Arena while he has been in charge. This season, Christian Eriksen and key defender Toby Alderweireld exited in the days before summer deadline.

A manager used to coping with losing his best players every season, Levy will be creaming himself reading this paragraph.

I don't think Ajax will obstruct a potential move of FDB. He's given them a lot. If Spurs and FDB can come to an agreement they will ask a fee, but no outrageous one.

Last edited:
I think he wants a project club because he wants to be there for atleast 5 years and build the team slowly but surely to success, rather a big club which will want instant success.

I dn't think he knows what his getting himself into coz we might be a growing club but we seem to unrealisticly want instant success. I hope levy and co dn't fire him when he doesn't get us top 4 next season and don't listen to fans who might want the manager out coz of a few bad results or not obtaining top 4 ( myself included).

I agree, and I like to think that hopefully Levy has learned from some of his previous mistakes. I place a lot of stock and hope in the Broomfield rehire, as it displays not only a deviation from the current setup but a determined move to rectify a recent mistake.

I also hope the fans will learn from their mistakes. It is time we realize that what Harry managed to do in the latter seasons was extraordinary with extraordinary players. We are not at, and do not at the moment deserve such a level. It is time we learn to put in our due and afford our managers time in the mold of what the Merseyside clubs have done.

That's what I expect, when De Boer joins Tottenham Hotspur, Jaap Stam will be coming with him. He is familiar with the PL. And he look very impressive.... For my club Ajax it will be a big loss but I wouldn't be surprised he is leaving.

Welcome. Your input will be highly valued in the upcoming month or so if any of this is even remotely true.

Back
Top Bottom