Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's always a little sad when a local lad who made it all the way through the youth and reserve team into the first eleven, moves on. I understand he's not quite good enough for what we need, but I'd like to wish him the best of luck with the rest of his career.

Good luck Winsky!

yeah - so many second tier players have represented their country at every level and played in a Champions league final.

happens all the time
That’s the point - WTF was he doing playing at that level. He hardly inspired us to the final - it was in spite of him really and he’s now found his level

He really suffered after the injury, was generally well out of depth and never came close this previous form. Maybe he just needs to stay fit and churn out 60 games next season to return to that level

It's always a little sad when a local lad who made it all the way through the youth and reserve team into the first eleven, moves on. I understand he's not quite good enough for what we need, but I'd like to wish him the best of luck with the rest of his career.

Good luck Winsky!
I get your point but it would have been sad 3-4 years ago. It’s a blessing for all at this point.

Perfect move for him, ball playing side, exactly what he needs. May not have lived up to his potential but always gave 110% and bleeds Tottenham. Got to start for his boyhood team in a champions league final and was solid for a couple years when we failed to properly invest in our midfield when the second best midfielder in the history of our club (sorry Moussa, Modric just wins) was injured then sold. Good luck Winksy.
He was a decent 8 then Mourinho and Conte wanted him to play 6 as a screening Midfielder it was never his game. The fact is this is a player that dominated an opposition midfield with Kroos, Modric and Casemiro in it. Fact is sadly lost his way and the fans started to blame him for every loss when he was involved. Winks is an expert of one thing in midfield and that is recycling the ball.

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

He was a decent 8 then Mourinho and Conte wanted him to play 6 as a screening Midfielder it was never his game. The fact is this is a player that dominated an opposition midfield with Kroos, Modric and Casemiro in it. Fact is sadly lost his way and the fans started to blame him for every loss when he was involved. Winks is an expert of one thing in midfield and that is recycling the ball.

Got injured under Poch and imo has never looked the same player since - although with Mourhino and Conte playing counter attacking whereas Winks was really built to play possession football, that's possibly no surprise.

Sensible to decide to re-start his career at Leicester and try to establish himself as CM of choice there.

Good luck to him.

not sure he lost HIS way - just got played out of position by managers who didn't understand his skillset

Plus he was carrying injuries

We all know he's not - or ever was, an elite player - but he was an effective and productive player, played to his strengths.

He's a good enough player technically who can move the ball about, he's just unathletic, not creative in his passing range and doesn't score goals.

This doesn't make him awful, for a Leicester level team (esp. in championship) he will likely provide a nice bit of stability and keep things ticking over.

Modern football eh ?

On the one hand we have a local lad, signed up as a kid, gives 110 for the team he has always loved. Gives his all every game.

On the other, we need to spunk up £50m for the latest hotshot from Spain/Italy etc etc in order to keep pace.

As someone who was brought up in the Pratt, Skip (not that one) era, my thoughts go with Winks and wish him every success.

Back
Top Bottom