Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me I find it incredible just how poorly all our young talents are always rated by the football gods at Football Manager and Fifa. Bale & Kane were always destined to be nobodies, as were Mason and Bentaleb. Our youth team is seriously underrated and I'm always glad to see players shine high above what their perceived level from the outside world.

Edwards?

Starts with a 60 rating on Fifa which wouldn't even get him into the Hibs midfield! Pretty sure if you train him and give him game time he will hit the mid 80's though, not without hard work. I haven't played Football Manager this year so you would need to ask someone else about him, that game factors in injuries and form pretty harshly though, but I imagine you could turn him into a good player due just to his young age.

Just had a look and his potential ability on FM is between 140-170, so he has the potential to be a good player on FM but he needs the work put in. Lots of game time and training and he can potentially be a very good squad player, but never a star player in a top team.

I'm happy for games to underrate our players though, as frustrating as it may be when you want to use them in said games, it also lets them grow and develop without as much pressure as say Freddy Adu, who everyone expected to be the next big thing.

Plus it's just a video game.

Starts with a 60 rating on Fifa which wouldn't even get him into the Hibs midfield! Pretty sure if you train him and give him game time he will hit the mid 80's though, not without hard work. I haven't played Football Manager this year so you would need to ask someone else about him, that game factors in injuries and form pretty harshly though, but I imagine you could turn him into a good player due just to his young age.

Just had a look and his potential ability on FM is between 140-170, so he has the potential to be a good player on FM but he needs the work put in. Lots of game time and training and he can potentially be a very good squad player, but never a star player in a top team.

I'm happy for games to underrate our players though, as frustrating as it may be when you want to use them in said games, it also lets them grow and develop without as much pressure as say Freddy Adu, who everyone expected to be the next big thing.

Plus it's just a video game.

I thought Edwards was the only Spurs youth to be rated 5 star in FM and turns into a 90+ player in career mode? Even Onomah is rated higher than Winks.

All this talks of Winks, and Edwards, and with Christmas just around the corner... reminded me;
where the hell is Li'll Tommy Carroll???
:carrollwtf:

I know, just adding that it's more plausible hype with Winks, as physicality is the foundation for young players in the premier league.

It's what Carroll lacks. He may share a lot of similarities with Modric, but Modric may well have struggled in this team the same way that Eriksen would if he was played deeper
Physicality isn't always a guarantee for success in the PL - agree with the general sentiment however

Physicality isn't always a guarantee for success in the PL - agree with the general sentiment however

I think with Mason and Carroll neither have the power, speed or general athleticism. They are technically good but can be bullied out of a game, Winks has the ability but unlike the other two doesn't get bullied which is crucial playing the role of deep lying playmaker.

his passing does remind me of Modric. He's thinking about it at once when he gets the ball, no hesitation and that's because he doesn't need a big window, he has the ability to spray the ball out wherever he wants to put it with great accuracy. It really accelerates our transitions to attack which is something we often lack. He can drive forward past players very easily too which is again a bit like Modric in a way but also similar to Dembele.

his passing does remind me of Modric. He's thinking about it at once when he gets the ball, no hesitation and that's because he doesn't need a big window, he has the ability to spray the ball out wherever he wants to put it with great accuracy. It really accelerates our transitions to attack which is something we often lack. He can drive forward past players very easily too which is again a bit like Modric in a way but also similar to Dembele.

His quick passing and accurate long balls could be the equivalent to the 'Modric outlet' when he would quickly get Lennon and Bale into the game with a defence splitting ball. He also has that burst of pace that allows him to beat a man, which can be crucial.

More Hoddle for me....dont remember Modric pinging passes or shooting around like that. Modric, what did he do?

Winks looks bloody good

Modric was a maestro. I really believe he was one of the best central midfielders to EVER play for this club. That video there was one I watched just after that Winks video and I saw the comparisons instantly.

Modric was subtle, but did so, so many things. Him and Huddlestone turned out to be an odd couple but extremely complimentary midfield pairing! I am sure Hudd misses playing alongside him... I have great memories of that midfield spraying long passes out to Lennon and Bale on the wings!

Winks has a lot farther to go, but, has been really excellent so far! We should encourage his growth and give him plenty of opportunities. His showing in CL this year was excellent. With Dembele starting to show signs of long-term physical wear- it's a perfect opportunity to get Winks more PL game time. He can do a real job for us in the same position as Dembele.

Winks reminds me more of Huddlestone than Modric, I'm afraid.
The ModFather is one of the best midfielders in the world and that potential was obvious when he first arrived...Winks looks good, but I don't see anything special at the moment.

I thought Edwards was the only Spurs youth to be rated 5 star in FM and turns into a 90+ player in career mode? Even Onomah is rated higher than Winks.

From the little I have seen of Edwards he looks very promising. I just don't see the Winks thing though, and perhaps I am missing something. He reminds me of Mason, Bentaleb, and Steven Clemance, he passes the ball sideways and backwards in order his stats look OK and he doesn't get caught out. He will run around a lot, and may even give you the very occasional tap in goal. At best he is a Hull/Palace type player, but will never make the level he needs to be for a top side

From the little I have seen of Edwards he looks very promising. I just don't see the Winks thing though, and perhaps I am missing something. He reminds me of Mason, Bentaleb, and Steven Clemance, he passes the ball sideways and backwards in order his stats look OK and he doesn't get caught out. He will run around a lot, and may even give you the very occasional tap in goal. At best he is a Hull/Palace type player, but will never make the level he needs to be for a top side

Winks passes forward more than anyone in our team for a start. He does his best NOT to pass sideways and backwards.

I think it takes a certain amount of experience or knowledge to appreciate players like Winks. I remember when I first started to support Tottenham and people were crazy about Modric. I simply didn't get what all the fuss was about, not because he was shit, but because I didn't know the game enough to see his value.

Thankfully 6-7 years teaches a lot and Winks is one of the most talented youngsters I can think of. He'll be the next England international from our club without a doubt. 20 and that good? He has all the basics of his role down already, there's no huge weakness to what he does. Exciting to see what he improves on next.

People have to be careful when comparing, sometimes stylistic comparisons gets confused with ability comparisons. For example Theo Walcott moves like a smaller version of Henry but Walcott has the brain of a peanut.

When comparing Winks I am looking at a stylistic comparison not ability as he is too young to simply say he is this level or that level.

Stylistically he moves quickly across the ground in short burst and snaps passes from left and right, he also seems to be all rounds quick mobile front to back. He plays deep and generally quite simple but rarely loses the ball. That is probably a description of Modric rather than Carrick or Huddleston.

He may only end up as good as Huddleston or Carrick but his style can be compared with Modric.

He may only end up as good as Huddleston or Carrick but his style can be compared with Modric.
Carrick was a far better player than Huddleston, we had built our side around him, and it took a long time to recover after his departure to Man United. If Winks is as good as Carrick I'd be very happy.

Back
Top Bottom