Harry Kane, he’s one of whose own?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think if you come to the Lane or to an away game, and you make an effort to interact with people, learn the songs, learn about the culture, learn some of the language (obviously not a problem for you as you're American), show respect and get behind the team, then 90% of people at Spurs will accept you as "one of our own", wherever you are from. A lot of people who come from abroad (these days) are tourists rather than genuine fans. But we have always had lots of fans from abroad who are proper as well. Always been a big link to Scandinavia and Belgium, some other places too, I've met Spurs from Serbia and Russia on our European trips, and I know there are some good lads from the US on this forum, as well as from other places.

By the way, I am English and live walking distance from WHL, and I feel the exact same way about the English national team as you do.

I think if you come to the Lane or to an away game, and you make an effort to interact with people, learn the songs, learn about the culture, learn some of the language (obviously not a problem for you as you're American), show respect and get behind the team, then 90% of people at Spurs will accept you as "one of our own", wherever you are from. A lot of people who come from abroad (these days) are tourists rather than genuine fans. But we have always had lots of fans from abroad who are proper as well. Always been a big link to Scandinavia and Belgium, some other places too, I've met Spurs from Serbia and Russia on our European trips, and I know there are some good lads from the US on this forum, as well as from other places.

By the way, I am English and live walking distance from WHL, and I feel the exact same way about the English national team as you do.
Thanks man, I'm sure you're right it's just a chronic state of mind. Actually yesterday I was sitting outside a Pizza restaurant in Brooklyn and a guy jogged by wearing an away Spurs shirt -- a very uncommon sight. Before I could even think I shouted "Come on you Spurs!" He gave the thumbs up and kept jogging. It's in my blood in a way that i don't even realize.

Thanks man, I'm sure you're right it's just a chronic state of mind. Actually yesterday I was sitting outside a Pizza restaurant in Brooklyn and a guy jogged by wearing an away Spurs shirt -- a very uncommon sight. Before I could even think I shouted "Come on you Spurs!" He gave the thumbs up and kept jogging. It's in my blood in a way that i don't even realize.

I am like that! Had some quite punchy banter with an Armerican CFC fan in Vegas last time i was there after he saw a Spurs T i was wearing. The Mrs asked 'if i knew him', i told her no but i couldn't let the opportunity of rubbishing his club pass. She is used to it.

Brilliant article Aaron Wolfe Aaron Wolfe , one of the best I've read on here. I loved your description,

"He looks like he’s filled out a form in the back of a kids magazine that says “tell us in fifty words or less why you want to play football when you grow up.” He’s won his place for a day in the starting lineup and, lookout, turns out the kid can actually play!"

Thanks.

I think if you come to the Lane or to an away game, and you make an effort to interact with people, learn the songs, learn about the culture, learn some of the language (obviously not a problem for you as you're American), show respect and get behind the team, then 90% of people at Spurs will accept you as "one of our own", wherever you are from
Agree 100% with this. After waking up or staying up to watch games for over 10 years I remember feeling not being "one of our own" at my first 2 games. It was the first 2 home games of the AVB era which we drew and I was sat in a pretty quiet Paxton Road on each occasion. After 10 years the "dream" had been a bit of a let down. Even after moving here and putting up with the Sherwood circus & disharmony of the start of this season I really thought fun, Spurs & I just couldn't be used in the same sentence. Boy has that changed in the past 4 or so months! I may be from about 10,000km away from Tottenham but I belt "his one of our own" or get that sense of pride when he scores for England as much as someone who lives in the flats near the ground.

Also great work Aaron Wolfe Aaron Wolfe ! "He looks like he’s filled out a form in the back of a kids magazine that says “tell us in fifty words or less why you want to play football when you grow up." :adethumbup:

Agree 100% with this. After waking up or staying up to watch games for over 10 years I remember feeling not being "one of our own" at my first 2 games. It was the first 2 home games of the AVB era which we drew and I was sat in a pretty quiet Paxton Road on each occasion. After 10 years the "dream" had been a bit of a let down. Even after moving here and putting up with the Sherwood circus & disharmony of the start of this season I really thought fun, Spurs & I just couldn't be used in the same sentence. Boy has that changed in the past 4 or so months! I may be from about 10,000km away from Tottenham but I belt "his one of our own" or get that sense of pride when he scores for England as much as someone who lives in the flats near the ground.

Also great work Aaron Wolfe Aaron Wolfe ! "He looks like he’s filled out a form in the back of a kids magazine that says “tell us in fifty words or less why you want to play football when you grow up." :adethumbup:
Those first AVB games the atmosphere was dead! Not a great introduction! I'm glad you have been able to have a better experience of Spurs lately. As you've come to know the atmosphere at Spurs is dependent on many different factors; whether we're home or away, who we're playing, what competition, who you go with etc. as well as how we're playing.

From another fellow American (this one being 8,000 miles from Tottenham) who also feels a bit self-shamed in singing "he's one of our own," fantastic fucking article dude! The guy embodies everything we as humans strive to do, become the dream of ours at a young age and be successful at it.

SoCalSpurs SoCalSpurs Couldn't agree more. He's something special. I'm not sure I've ever seen a striker as inspiring and exciting to watch as him. There's something universal. Even when I told my dad (who couldn't give less of a shit about Football) the story of Harry Kane he grinned and said, "damn that's beautiful."

If you support Spurs with all your heart, take the trouble to research the history and understand the uniqueness of this wonderful club, then as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter where you're from, how long you've followed tottenham or whether you've every visited 'The Lane'… you're one of 'us'. Indeed, from the exposure I've had to the interest, knowledge and general involvement with all things 'Spurs' (and it has to be said, football in general) from fans abroad - particularly the USA - there are a lot of fans abroad who show a lot more intelligence, loyalty and understanding of Tottenham Hotspur than many so-called supporters living a lot closer to N17.

I don't know how many read the financial times on here, but there was an article by Simon Kuper called "Will TV football fans soon be priced out?" in the weekend edition. When I read it my first thought was how much it would annoy Flav ... probably. But I think it is a bit relevant to this thread.

Here is one bit: "the community of TV fans has never been so big, global and connected. These people aren't simply couch potatoes. Many now spend games sharing thoughts, jokes and emotions on social media ... In 2012 live sport accounted for just 1.3 per cent of TV programming, but 41 per cent of TV-related tweets ... TV fans have become a force that unites the world when little else does".

Here is another bit: "Today's fan community is local, national and global. The Manchester United fan watching in his living room in Tennessee might converse on social media with the Libyan fighter in a pirated United shirt. In so far as there is a global conversation, a lot of it is about football ..."

Makes you think.

Back
Top Bottom