Handball law set to change

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

7jvdtuzj1zp51.jpg

OpenOptimalConure-size_restricted.gif

On track for 292 penalties this season.
Game's dead.
And only 112 of those will be to United.

In all seriousness, we're only three match days into the season and every single weekend has had multiple VAR controversies. The FA will probably try to be stubborn and refuse to change anything before the summer but the dissent from managers, pundits, and fans is going to be deafening by Christmas.

“Dier’s hand was above his shoulder, however, meaning the penalty would stand. The fact that he was caught from behind by a hard-driven ball from an opponent at close quarters would not be taken into consideration.“

These people are fucking mad.

Does it specify where the leniency will be applied? A brief overview of possible situations?

Or are we just likely to get massive inconsistencies between refs as they each apply their own personal ideas of where and when leniency should be applied?

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the next time we see leniency applied will be when a handball goes in our favour, probably in a carbon copy of one we've already conceded this season.

I've been thinking about this and the problem is it will lead to inconsistency regarding decisions.
The law should be changed back to deliberate handball only.

Does anyone know how this is going down in other leagues abroad ?
People do seem to forget that the arguments raged over what is and what isn't a handball.

I've played football at a variety of levels for over 40yrs and I can genuinely say that in all of this time I've NEVER deliberately tried to handball, yet every single year I get pinged 4 or 5(??) times, that's +200 incorrect calls on me just for a handball offence.

It boils down to the fact that in football the laws are not absolute, they are interpreted. For many years whilst arguments were made by hard done by fans and players alike, it wasn't until super slow-motion replays and a truly dense studio analysis who's inability to discuss the intricacies of the game meant their air-time was substituted with nothing other than reducing a game of football to one or two was it, wasn't it moments has got us to this farcical point we now have with VAR.

The new handball law is written for VAR, for it solely relies on the replay review to actively seek for an infringement that may not even be seen by the players, let alone by those watching at home.

I freely admit that before this law change was in favour of penalising all handballs (deliberate or not) as handballs. I favoured this because I felt it removed the subjectivity out of the decision, therefore there was no doubt and no argument. However, I made that call before VAR. I am vehemently opposed to VAR and therefore totally against how it is used to look for handball.

I've played football at a variety of levels for over 40yrs and I can genuinely say that in all of this time I've NEVER deliberately tried to handball, yet every single year I get pinged 4 or 5(??) times, that's +200 incorrect calls on me just for a handball offence.

It boils down to the fact that in football the laws are not absolute, they are interpreted. For many years whilst arguments were made by hard done by fans and players alike, it wasn't until super slow-motion replays and a truly dense studio analysis who's inability to discuss the intricacies of the game meant their air-time was substituted with nothing other than reducing a game of football to one or two was it, wasn't it moments has got us to this farcical point we now have with VAR.

The new handball law is written for VAR, for it solely relies on the replay review to actively seek for an infringement that may not even be seen by the players, let alone by those watching at home.

I freely admit that before this law change was in favour of penalising all handballs (deliberate or not) as handballs. I favoured this because I felt it removed the subjectivity out of the decision, therefore there was no doubt and no argument. However, I made that call before VAR. I am vehemently opposed to VAR and therefore totally against how it is used to look for handball.
You must of been better than me then, I definitely have handballed it deliberately, especially at lower levels with only a ref on the pitch. Got away with some and called up on others.

On the other hand I've been pinged wrongly as well.

They just don't get it, do they!

These disproportionate, dysfunctional, decisions are destroying supporters' love of the beautiful game.

And they are ignoring the fact that he was pushed in the back by the guy still on the ground. It's not a hard push, but you can see his arm goes up early as a reaction. Dier even said this himself.

Checkout this video at around 15 seconds:

Watch Lurch's right arm after he heads it. It does EXACTLY the same thing as Dier. It's what people do when they are on the way down from (Dier just jumps slightly earlier and is off-balance due to the push).

How do you find 'justice' in this context? The problem here is that they are making rules to make sure they catch the cheats, and they don't care enough that innocent players also suffer. The problem is, VAR is 'death row': the brief pause while they wait on appeal. But they make mistakes, they are under pressure to do it quickly and there's Mike Dean. To make it worse, no one even knows what their thinking is (except United, obviously).

I'm thinking VAR, as bad as it is, is till better than nothing, but whoever is making these decisions should be put to pasture.

Yes, I'm still fucking salty! Sue me.

But thanks for the win last night lads, really cheered me up!

I've been thinking about this and the problem is it will lead to inconsistency regarding decisions.
The law should be changed back to deliberate handball only.

Does anyone know how this is going down in other leagues abroad ?
Let's hope the one good thing about all this is that further down the line in the season a couple of penalty decisions are turned down in our favour because of this re-appraisal. That's all we can ask.

I think if you're a defender in this day and age, you just have to have it drilled into you that your arms have to be by your side at all times when you're in the box. You can't bring them away from your body. You can't raise them. Ever.

I think if you're a defender in this day and age, you just have to have it drilled into you that your arms have to be by your side at all times when you're in the box. You can't bring them away from your body. You can't raise them. Ever.
But an attacker can raise his arms, so unless you pick a giraffe the defender is always going to lose headers.

But when you move around rapidly and jump you use your arms for balance. This puts an attacking player at an advantage.

My main issue is that the punishment does not fit the crime. it's a low scoring game and gifting a goal for something so innocuous is ridiculous

On track for 292 penalties this season.
Game's dead.

There's probably some executive in a suit somewhere going "we want to see hundreds of penalties and 8-7 scorelines in every game, will be good for the entertainment"

These people don't realize that football is the best sport in the world because the scoreline is low, it makes the scoring of a goal actually mean something, well....at least it did before VAR.

Probably a fucking yank too

Back
Top Bottom