Gylfi Sigurðsson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not convinced by Siggy yet but it is clear that he has talent, my concern is that he is someone who can, once in a while grab a goal but not really offer a great deal for too much of the game.

His problem is that he doesn't fit into a specific position that isn't occupied by someone better, quite like Kranjkar in that respect.

Still, I prefer him to Dempsey.

Surprised anyone is slagging Gylfi at the moment as, IMO, he's been one of our best performers over the last few games.

Genuinely impressed with his workrate on the left, which I wasn't sure he had in him, and of course his crossing and general "final ball" delivery have always been decent. Think he's a genuine threat, and has probably forced himself into our best XI (for now).

Think he'll score and create more as he gets more games, but he's certainly not a van der Vaart-esque number 10, so if you judge him against those criteria, he will always come up short.

This man speaks such sense. :windy:

I think Gylfi is best suited for teams of lower talent than us. He is best at picking out a pass or taking a strike when he has time on the ball. He is not the fastest player and counterattacking football definitely is not his forté. While im not saying his vision for passing is on point with modric's, I would say he is the closest thing we have to a player that can pick a pass like that since he left. In games that are 0-0 stalemates against teams parking the bus is when gylfi should be utilized.

He is 22.

He has proven a success in this league.

He has made a step up to a better team/higher level.

We could show a little patience, support the transition and see if he can make it.

We could take the promise of recent games as a sign he is coming along.

Or we could just write him off.

Personally Im with the former, it also seems Im in a minority. Spurs fans, got to love them.

Spurs fans, got to love them.

It's not just our fans, it's fans in general. People have no patience these day and are short sited enough that they only take his performances for their own club into account when appraising a players talents.

Siggurdson has not had a full season with us yet, and has been in and out of a team going through a transition. He needs a run in the side and time to settle. He's a very technically skilled player. The fact that people think he is "average" or in any way not good enough is, at this stage, laughable.

Au Contraire

You seem to have a very limited knowledge of young Gylfi's skill set. Which is understandable, but if you open your eyes, your mind might follow. Here is some evidence to help you along with you comprehension.

This particular show reel of Siggurdsons skills highlights his ability to cut in from the left numerous times, as well as his ability to create on the right side of the pitch. He has a very capable right foot, and as you can see he scores several free kicks too.

Hardly tap ins.

And just a warning everyone the music is terrible, you might want to mute it. :avbshit:

You need more evidence?

hear you go..

He even scores an absolute belter against Tottenham. Music isn't as bad on this one. :bae:

Still he has shown time and again what he is capable of. Like I said in my previous post, him and Bale need to work a little harder at finding space and being more fluid on the pitch, switch around move across the pitch and they will both find the space they need.

yeah sorry, I forgot who I replied to, I should have known better.
Yeah, your youtube knowledgebased argument is tip top, and completely destroys everything I have seen of his inept displays in Spurs colours. Basing your argument around 90 seconds of clips, v hours of dross on the pitch is a killer.
I'm sure he is much better than we've seen of him, otherwise whoever bought him is a bonehead, right?
I'm glad you're happy

Basing your argument around 90 seconds of clips, v hours of dross on the pitch is a killer.

Well it's either a couple of highlight clips or nothing. Unfortunately full matches aren't available on youtube. And I'm not sure anyone casually browsing a message board has time to watch hours upon hours of old football matches. So no my argument isn't based on a brief youtube clip, it's based on seeing him play for other teams fairly frequently. And upon his good recent form for Spurs.

So what more do you want?

He is 22.

He has proven a success in this league.

He has made a step up to a better team/higher level.

We could show a little patience, support the transition and see if he can make it.

We could take the promise of recent games as a sign he is coming along.

Or we could just write him off.

Personally Im with the former, it also seems Im in a minority. Spurs fans, got to love them.
I think we all want what you want, he plays for Spurs, we all support Spurs - I would love him to be an outrageous success and see him regularly tearing up the premiership.

Up to date we haven't, sadly.
Whenever I have had the chance to step up into better performing teams than my usual level, which I have done in various sports, I have found that I -(1) play up, and perform much better, (2) find I have more time and don't feel I am under so much pressure.
So why doesn't he perform to the level that you say he has done in the past, as a minimum?

Well it's either a couple of highlight clips or nothing. Unfortunately full matches aren't available on youtube. And I'm not sure anyone casually browsing a message board has time to watch hours upon hours of old football matches. So no my argument isn't based on a brief youtube clip, it's based on seeing him play for other teams fairly frequently. And upon his good recent form for Spurs.

So what more do you want?
Nothing, I've seen what you have to say.

I think we all want what you want, he plays for Spurs, we all support Spurs - I would love him to be an outrageous success and see him regularly tearing up the premiership.

Up to date we haven't, sadly.
Whenever I have had the chance to step up into better performing teams than my usual level, which I have done in various sports, I have found that I -(1) play up, and perform much better, (2) find I have more time and don't feel I am under so much pressure.
So why doesn't he perform to the level that you say he has done in the past, as a minimum?

Honestly Ive no idea.

I suspect a combination of added pressure, joining a team that is transitional itself, being played in various positions and being played sporadically are all part of it, perhaps lots of little things compounding each other, but who really knows?

Ive seen a fair bit of him at Reading and Swansea and am certain he has the makings of being a fabulous player.

As yet he hasnt shown that for us, but Im all for giving him time and patience - because if he does come good, it will be VERY good IMHO.

I think its a shame that fans (in general, not pointing fingers) are so quick to write off new players.

Look at the Holtby article today, first thing he says is that it takes time to settle and we we wont see the best of him until next season...

He is 22. - Fucking hell, 22...he is that slow at 22?

He has proven a success in this league. - Where?

He has made a step up to a better team/higher level. - He is playing in a better team, yet to step up

We could show a little patience, support the transition and see if he can make it. - Agreed..but he has been shit

We could take the promise of recent games as a sign he is coming along. - I really havent seen any measurable improvement

Or we could just write him off. - I have, he hasn't got the tools

Personally Im with the former, it also seems Im in a minority. Spurs fans, got to love them. - Were mostly cunts

FYP

troll_forums.jpg

I've been a fan of Siggy since the loan spell at Swansea. I'd never heard of him before that, but caught a few games and he was brilliant for them. I was yelling when i found out we signed him, i still stick by him. I think he has been slowly building. He hasn't played to his full potential for this season yet, but has been consistently getting better. He has the tools to be a superstar, anyone who says otherwise can't identify talent. I love the man, wish him all the best, and want him in Lilly white for many years to come.

My main 'thing' with Siggy is he seems too 'nice' and just glad to be here!
Maybe if he developed a nasty streak, or started with some Martial Arts shit like Sandro, he'd start to grow on people!!

Also, looking like the love-child of James Beattie probably isn't helping his cause!

He might well be a very good player, I'm reserving judgement purely on the fact that he hasn't played in his best position but as I said before; his best position is occupied by a player who is better than him.

My main 'thing' with Siggy is he seems too 'nice' and just glad to be here!
Maybe if he developed a nasty streak, or started with some Martial Arts shit like Sandro, he'd start to grow on people!!

Also, looking like the love-child of James Beattie probably isn't helping his cause!

James Beattie and....

...Rodney Trotter?

Just bumping this thread as thought he was by fat out best player on Sunday. Finally getting that goal at west ham seems to have done him he world of good like a lot of people suggested it might.

Now feels like he's contributing positively to the team and long may it continue. Some of his touches and build up play against everton were a world away from the timid displays he was giving up to a few months ago.

He has been one of our best performers for a while. He works his socks off whatever position he plays. I wouldn't be surprised to see him transform into a playmaking central midfielder, great passing ability and a heck of a shot. All while working hard, perfect midfield fodder for Sandro to play next to if not Dembele.

Siggy has improved big time since the start of the season and has really done a good job replacing Bale at LW. Yeah he doesn't have the pace , but he is has been very good otherwise. And one thing I noticed vs Everton, he was making crosses with his weaker left foot that were finding their way into box. Yet another demension to his game At 22, def a bright future n much more then a squad player. Me thinks.

Now get a legitimate LWB who can bring the width to that left side n siggy will be an automatic starter for next year at that LW for sure

Back
Top Bottom