Guglielmo Vicario

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you remember his warrior performance against Chelsea? (And don’t say yeah we conceded 4 goals coz they were not his fault).

No he does not have a weak mentality. He’ll be our keeper for years to come and rightly so.

Deal with it.
Do you remember how brilliant he was when he was lucky to concede just 4.

Fucking hell, you get more fucked up year on year.

Ben White knows where the ball is going to be delivered. White stands in position infront of Vicario to block his pathway to make a punch/catch. White purposely has his hands by his sides to elimate any prospect of a shirt pull. White then moves away as the ball is in flight by which time its too late for Vicario to make his move to attack the ball, end result Vicario is rooted to the spot and has no chance at point blank range.

Its not necessary Vicario's fault all these corner goals. There clearly needs to be better organization & protection around the box.

so you think players can just start trying to take the keepers gloves off on corners and its not punishable? are you thick!
That is right but standing g right in front of the keeper is also ok but when you stand I. Front of the keeper and push him backwards cannot be right. If the keeper pushed the player standing in front of him it’s a penalty. Two points, first one way of stopping go it is for one of our players to do the same thing to opponents’ keepers, that might stop them. Also, who the hell is out goalkeeper coach?

Ben White knows where the ball is going to be delivered. White stands in position infront of Vicario to block his pathway to make a punch/catch. White purposely has his hands by his sides to elimate any prospect of a shirt pull. White then moves away as the ball is in flight by which time its too late for Vicario to make his move to attack the ball, end result Vicario is rooted to the spot and has no chance at point blank range.

Its not necessary Vicario's fault all these corner goals. There clearly needs to be better organization & protection around the box.
Vic was t exactly rooted to the spot, he was pushed backwards.

Why on earth aren't we geared up for it though? The word is out on vicario in relation to corners now. Quite why they've decided you can now obstruct the keeper, or more to the point our keeper, when you never used to be allowed to so much as fart near them without giving a free kick away I've no idea. But they have. We need someone on the opposition player who is tasked with obstructing vicario. Sarr started doing it in the second half. And then they stopped doing it when they realised we had started to defend against it. But the horse had bolted by then. There must be a reason why we're taking a conscious decision not to try and protect him. I'm fucked if I know what it is though.
My take on this is Vic doesn't want lots of players around him, this includes our own players. Stick one of our players between him and the oppo and it actually crowds him even more. Also, watch other games where this happens (especially West Ham corners, where it's their MO) they push the defender into the 'keeper, it's a less obvious foul than pushing the 'keeper directly.

There are basically x2 solutions here:
1. Have officials do their job and ping the oppo for obstruction
2. Do exactly the same thing to the oppo when we have an attacking corner - If the ref isn't penalising these fouls then he's given us a free pass to commit the same offence and get away with it.

On a different but related topic, I was hugely impressed with our attacking corners against the scum, on another day Romero scores a hattrick of headers from corners (he was an inch past the post, 2 mins latter he hit the post, he one another that was blocked and another that went over the bar and finally he won a header at the back post but was fouled by Gabriel who pushed him while jumping with two hands in his chest a clear pen which wasn't even spotted). Not only do we have the 3rd worse defensive stats in the league from corners we also have the 3rd worse stats in attacking them, so to have caused the scum so many issues on Sunday who have the best defensive stats at corners was a very big improvement.

My take on this is Vic doesn't want lots of players around him, this includes our own players. Stick one of our players between him and the oppo and it actually crowds him even more. Also, watch other games where this happens (especially West Ham corners, where it's their MO) they push the defender into the 'keeper, it's a less obvious foul than pushing the 'keeper directly.

2. Do exactly the same thing to the oppo when we have an attacking corner - If the ref isn't penalising these fouls then he's given us a free pass to commit the same offence and get away with it.

On a different but related topic, I was hugely impressed with our attacking corners against the scum, on another day Romero scores a hattrick of headers from corners (he was an inch past the post, 2 mins latter he hit the post, he one another that was blocked and another that went over the bar and finally he won a header at the back post but was fouled by Gabriel who pushed him while jumping with two hands in his chest a clear pen which wasn't even spotted). Not only do we have the 3rd worse defensive stats in the league from corners we also have the 3rd worse stats in attacking them, so to have caused the scum so many issues on Sunday who have the best defensive stats at corners was a very big improvement.

It's been a scum weak spot in recent weeks too.

P.s. the backpost foul was by Rapeman

Yeah I know what you mean. I do wonder though if we put a player in there and then caused a big pushing and shoving kerfuffle whether that would work in our favour. It'd draw more attention to it and maybe the refs would be more inclined to give a free kick. Knowing our luck we'd be more likely to get a pen given against us.

As an aside during my 6 year olds game at the weekend the coach of the opposition team instructed one of his players to go and stand in front of our keeper from a free kick. Completely obstructed him while the ball whistled past him. 6 years old. Depressing!

Yeah I know what you mean. I do wonder though if we put a player in there and then caused a big pushing and shoving kerfuffle whether that would work in our favour. It'd draw more attention to it and maybe the refs would be more inclined to give a free kick. Knowing our luck we'd be more likely to get a pen given against us.

As an aside during my 6 year olds game at the weekend the coach of the opposition team instructed one of his players to go and stand in front of our keeper from a free kick. Completely obstructed him while the ball whistled past him. 6 years old. Depressing!

Teaching young children to shithouse and cheat is disgusting.

That is right but standing g right in front of the keeper is also ok but when you stand I. Front of the keeper and push him backwards cannot be right. If the keeper pushed the player standing in front of him it’s a penalty. Two points, first one way of stopping go it is for one of our players to do the same thing to opponents’ keepers, that might stop them. Also, who the hell is out goalkeeper coach?
to be fair the pictures look worse than the actual clip. if he had undone his velcro he would of deserved to get sent off. hes just touched his wrist to distract him. hes just a little piece of shit whos definitely getting people to put things up his bum.

I hope Angelos have a serious words with the refs.
Why do teams constantly get away with pushing Vicario? There is NO way VAR & refs have not noticed it

Postecoglou on Guglielmo Vicario’s set-piece struggles​

Speaking to Football.London ahead of Tottenham’s trip to Chelsea tomorrow, Postecoglou was asked about teams targeting Vicario.

“I think he’s seen that there’s a challenge,” the Spurs boss said. “It’s something that even I’m struggling with because I watched the Champions League last night and there was a foul given on the keeper straight away. We’re trying to get clarity on it.”

Vicario was targeted by Woolwich on Sunday and it’s fair to say that it worked for Mikel Arteta’s side.

Ben White was tasked with putting pressure on the Spurs goalkeeper. There was one incident where the Woolwich defender was even spotted messing with Vicario’s gloves.

For his side’s third of the day, White also backed into the Tottenham shot-stopper right before Havertz headed home.

Put Hojbjerg there. Then we can be sure of scoring at least one goal in the game....

Take away corners (we all know he needs to improve but also so does the entire defense) Vicario has been great this year. For the stat nerds, he's 4th in the league in PSxG, (xG for a GK is my understanding) and his numbers for his first year in the league are great.

Corners are the only big issue that needs to be addressed but we have a very good keeper with plenty of room to develop.

This is basic set piece tactical insight yet apparently the team and management can't figure it out... perhaps you should get hired and replace Jedinak?

Good shot stopper,ok feet for short passing.
Looks out of depth with any long throws quickly out of box at even short distances to counter attack,eg v Chelsea threw straight to opposition first ive seen him attempt and lost count of the times hes sprinted out ,hesitated and not delivered a good throw at distance.
Also no low trajectory punts been sighted also which would benefit greatly on way we play ie Ederson like .
Too late now to add these strings to his bow i would think.

Back
Top Bottom