GET WELL SOON MABBSEY...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blog...fter-operation-to-save-his-leg-153037319.html
Former Tottenham and England defender Gary Mabbutt needed a five-hour operation to save his left leg in 2013 after he suffered complications due to diabetes.

Speaking to The Sun, the 53-year-old said that he woke up at 1am one morning to find his leg had gone cold after his condition left him with a clogged artery.

He was rushed to King’s College Hospital in south east London where doctors acted immediately to save the limb – replacing the main artery in his leg with a vein.

It took 112 staples to seal the wound, leaving Mabbutt with a shocking 30-inch scar down his leg.
Mabbutt said: "When they talked about battling to save my leg, I realised I was helpless. As a diabetic you know complications can occur.
"But you think ‘It's never going to happen to me’. It is vital to educate everyone with diabetes how to take care of themselves."

Mabbutt was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was 17 and told that he would that it would be extremely hard for him to pursue his ambition of becoming a professional footballer.
Mabbutt managed to play more than 450 games for Tottenham, lifting the FA Cup in 1991, as well as winning 16 caps for England.
The operation in 2013 meant that Mabbutt could no longer kick a ball, however, ending his dream of becoming a manager.

He said: "I had just finished my licences to become a coach. I had management offers.
"But you need to be able to be out there on the training ground every day with the players. So, I have given up my ambition to coach or manage."
CB-jb7NWMAARuJe.jpg

Can't believe i've only just heard about this... then again, I am in Austria for a month, and very little English footie makes it's way out here!!

A legend through and through - hope he makes a speedy recovery. As a wee kid, he was the Spurs player I idolised most, above even Klinsmann. Seems like only yesterday that I shook his hand outside the Torch.

The article certainly reads like that.... Strange
Yeah, you're right... and yet there it is in 'breaking news' as if it had only just happened (again) ....summit's up with that...?bloody Internet! !!
...it's like when Tony Hart died twice!!

another recent leg injury story:
Ziege almost lost his leg
Christian Ziege was just two hours away from losing his career when he suffered a blood clot on his thigh after Tottenham's Boxing Day clash with Charlton.
The German international underwent an emergency operation later that night after calling the club's doctor and complaining of severe pain in a thigh muscle that had grown to twice its normal size.
There were fears his damaged leg would have to be amputated because the blood supply to his muscle had ceased.
Spurs boss Glenn Hoddle today revealed that if Ziege had delayed telephoning the club doctor for a few more hours, then his future in the game would have been threatened.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/ziege-almost-lost-his-leg-7221221.html

I hear Anderton is injured again... he's struggling to be fit for the weekend game against Ron Atkinson's high-flying Villa team!

Im just embarrasssed I didn't realise this was re hashed from 2 years ago.... Can't believe this Mabbutt story was posted as 'News'

I think many underestimate what kind of horrible disease diabetes actually is. To hear that Gary almost lost his leg is extremely worrying and frankly no good sign for his health. I wish him all the best.

I think this news was picked up from an article Diabetes UK ran on Monday...

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us...e »&utm_campaign=April+E-news+responsive+2015

I am T1 diabetic myself but only diagnosed mid-20s. It's actually encouraging to see posters here who obviously have good awareness and understanding of the condition as it is widely misunderstood.

It sounds odd but in a perverse way, Mabbutt being so successful whilst being diabetic actually trivialised the disease a bit in a "how can it be that bad, look at Mabbutt?" sort of way.

I've read his autobiography - out-of-print and very old - but he writes about the challenges and ignorance. And in his early playing era it was glass syringes!

Hero.

Its typical of him that this has only come out now, saw him at the cup final, walking down Wembley Way and he was brilliant, stopping for photos. Always smiling and a genuinely nice man.

Back
Top Bottom