Gent v Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mate too many fans thinking they shoulder the financial burden of the Chairman.
And a few more thinking that we can be picky about which competitions to try & win...

The players will want medals to show their achievements, but on a sliding scale I bet nearly all would rate a European medal above the FA cup, & certainly above the Rumbelows cup.

Last edited:
C4zS7-CWIAADww5.jpg

I've just had a rush of blood and chucked the remainder of my months wages on a win tonight. (Circa £400)

I'm a stupid idiot.

Won't be watching out of sheer fear.

I think I may have developed a gambling issue...

I totally get the dislike for the current format of the Europa League... after all, any competition that rewards the winner with not having to defend the Trophy the following year, reeks of shit.
(It would be like the winners of the League Cup getting a 3rd & 4th round 'bye' from the FA Cup... actually, come to think of it... no, back on topic...)

It's UEFA who need to re-think the format, but as it is, it's still a competition, and a TROPHY that's there to be won.

I've said for years (but no one was listening) that they've got the formats the wrong way round for the CL and Europa... surely the Teams finishing 2nd-6th in their domestic league, should get to compete in a (ready made) European League format the following season.

The 'Champions' League has never been that, by simple virtue of the fact that 3 out of the 4 teams to qualify each season aren't the Champions of their respective leagues... it's basic fucking maths at best, not to mention contravening the Trade Descriptions Act!

The European Cup should've just been re-branded (if they really needed to) as The Champions Cup... and guess what? The One Champion of each Country get to slug it out each year, in a knockout competition, to see who's the best Champion of Champions! Isn't that what they wanted all along??

Plus we'd have been spared the sickening sight of ArseAnal convincing themselves of their supposed superiority, by only having competed in it a handful of times, rather than the 16 consecutive years they've poisoned the Competition with!

(I realise that as a direct fall-out from that, we wouldn't have competed in it at all... but did we ever really deserve to?)

Undoubtedly the majority of those who disagree also thought we would beat Liverpool last weekend.

I prefer to try and see beyond naked nepotism.

Congratulations, we lost to Liverpool and you were right.......we are as shit as ar.senal, with no leaders, our away form is average to crap, we are in a shit mickey mouse cup thats not worth being in and we are too shit to win anyway.

I see you are still here, in the thread for the match you said you wont be watching or supporting any EL games until the final. I suspect you will be here tonight, praying for Gent to score, and pointing out any bad passage of Spurs play so you can compare us to The Scum, and remind everyone that we are no different but at least they lost to Bayern in the CL, and we are just playing some Belgian team in the EL.

Congratulations on your "see through the rose tints" level of support.

Newsflash mate, some of us fucking love wearing rose tinted glasses. Its called football.

Rationalise all you want, just goes to show you really dont get it

Belgian Spur Belgian Spur can you give us a run down of your recent form/dangerous players and how you think you'll approach tonight? I've read soccerway, but there is only so much you can read out of stats.
Our recent form has been atrocious, we've had a couple of very good years (took our first ever league title, progressed to the second stage of the CL) but this season we're struggling. Most of our players lack confidence, our defense is leaky and so on. If there's a dangerous player then it might be our 18 year old nigerian Kalu, he arrived recently and is one of the most talented players i've ever seen at Gent. Apart from him our striker can be deadly in the box but is piss poor anywhere else. We have one superb free kick taker called Milisevic and we have two strong midfield players (Neto and Esiti) but when coming up against Dembele and Wanyama, they'll be slaughtered.

Can't see any danger coming from Gent for Spurs, there's a lack of pace, creativity and confidence atm. But as they will be supercharged for a game against a massive team, things might turn out very different today.

Oh and our new goalie is pretty strong on high balls and on his line, can't kick a ball though.

We generally play a slow build up game in 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 with a towering forward and small pocket wingers around him. We like to play out of defence but lack defenders that can pass a ball so that makes us very easy victims for a counter pressing team.

I'm never one to blame Poch, but tonight he got it wrong. I don't see why Wimmer isn't starting? He was great cover last year. We should have gone to win the tie in the first leg...

The last few games have been very poor, we need a big improvement if we want top 4.
Last year Wimmer was good. This year he's looked unreliable.

Did you see the team he picked? He did try to win it in this leg. That much was obvious.

Back
Top Bottom