Fulham VS Tottenham Hotspur. Carabao Cup. Tuesday 29th August 2023. Craven Cottage 19:45pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck me some of the comments on here.

We lost on penalty's, literally a lottery. It's hardly like we lost 3-0.

The guy has gone from being brilliant in his first couple of months to 'disrespecting' the cup after one defeat and 'it's on him'.

4 year contract, need to stop expecting a manager to come in and produce miracles.

No manager gives a fuck about this cup mate. It's just the truth. Theres no money in it, gives you fuck all, and is extra games managers dont want.
Sorry but you're really talking rubbish, see the list of last years winners:

2011-12Liverpool
2012-13Swansea
2013-14Manchester City
2014-15Chelsea
2015-16Manchester City
2016-17Manchester United
2017-18Manchester City
2018-19Manchester City
2019-20Manchester City
2020-21Manchester City
2021-22Liverpool
2022-23Manchester United

Every Spurs manager picks a weak squad for the cups, Poch, Conte now Ange. It’s clear the target is league place and Europe, that is how we operate.
Every Spurs manager under this lot is judged on top 4. Its the instruction at the start, champions league. Its why they sacked George Graham a week before an FA cup semi final and Mourinho 6 days before a league cup final. No fan of either of those but it shows the only real priority

We lost on penalty's, literally a lottery.

The guy has gone from being brilliant in his first couple of months to 'disrespecting' the cup after one defeat and 'it's on him'.

4 year contract, need to stop expecting a manager to come in and produce miracles.
I don't expect miracles, I expect managers to take the cups halfway seriously. If we put a halfway decent first XI and lost then fair enough, but this is unacceptable.

A number of players didn’t perform
It was probably too many changes
Lot of players not match sharp
Forster was fine in the game but poor in the pen shootout
Sanchez was ok after shaky start, at least he took a pen
Scarlett wont be a top striker
Lo celso is flaky and really needs a move
Fulham are a decent team, they were at home and just had a good result.

No manager gives a fuck about this cup mate. It's just the truth. Theres no money in it, gives you fuck all, and is extra games managers dont want.
Yeah we shouldn't bother with the competitive football matches and trophies; best just stick to hotels, go karts and pre season friendlies against pub teams in Asia because there’s money in them.

We lost on penalty's, literally a lottery. It's hardly like we lost 3-0.

It's a coin flip, and one with tails on both sides when we've got Sanchez taking a fookin pen!

Ange gambled big making 9 changes and putting trust in some lads who have looked good in preseason or cameos like GLC, PEH, Perisic, Sanchez, and Solomon and you’d have to it utterly failed and he’s gotta take the blame for that. Too many changes with players who either haven’t proven themselves or have proven themselves lacking too many times.

The Scarlett sub and not getting Maddison until the 80th minute made it feel like the priority was certain players getting a run out and rotation, rather than trying to win.

A lot of unsurprising things confirmed today.
  • We’re desperately lacking pace in the side. Davies and Emerson as fullbacks and Perisic on the wing and you could just feel the palpable lack of speed and dynamism.
  • In this system you can’t have CBs and Keepers who can’t play the ball, I don’t even dislike Sanchez and Forster as players but they can’t play this style.
  • You can have one of Skipp or Hojbjerg, but not two. Once again, two players I actually like a lot, but they are all-action, all blood and guts midfielders when this system requires technical players who can break the press.
  • Hojbjerg, Davies, Sanchez, Perisic, Forster, and GLC are all fine as backups for this season as long as they don’t play much, but really they all need to be replaced with younger and more dynamic players who actually fit Ange’s system. All of them are not athletic or technical enough for the side we’re building. Time to usher in a new era.

It's not hindsight, I warned about exactly this days before. Everyone could see this coming from miles away.

Rotate some players, 5-6, like Fulham did. Do you think Fulham will be playing any less matches than us?
Like I said I think we overdid the rotation but playing the first XI, like I said, would have been overkill and would have taught Ange nothing.
Fulham have Marco Silva there who has spent a whole season getting to know his squad across league and Cup competitions. It doesn't bear comparison to us in terms of knowing who to trust within their respective squads.
Ange will hopefully have learned a lot from tonight. Trust the process. I think we have seen enough in the first few PL matches to know that we have a manager who we should stick behind and support. We lost tonight. It sucks. But we have to learn and move on.

Back
Top Bottom