Fiorentina vs Tottenham 2nd Leg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah i'm hoping for a good couple of days as well, result is important but at 1-1 it's gonna be a fucking tense game. Thought the team we played yesterday was sensible, maybe with the exception of Paulinho. Someone a bit more defensive like Capoue or Stambouli would be ok for next week, and we are in with a chance of a decent result.

No way we should throw it though, we have a great chance at making the later stages of this competition, and it would be a shame to throw it just for a *chance* at beating Chelsea. What if we lose both? Then everyone gets fucked off about selections again..

That's my biggest fear. Us playing a weakened side against Florence and losing and then playing our strongest team against chelski but getting brushed aside and end up being knocked out of two cup competitions within the space of three days. Would be typical spurs for that to happen!

That's my biggest fear. Us playing a weakened side against Florence and losing and then playing our strongest team against chelski but getting brushed aside and end up being knocked out of two cup competitions within the space of three days. Would be typical spurs for that to happen!

I am not afraid of that , for a very simple reason: rationally, this was always the most likely outcome. Let's take our chances and see what happens

Whatever happens, as painful as it may be, won't change my feeling about the great season that we are having

Im sorry Spurs Fans I underestimated Spurs yesterday
Its was a poor game from fiorentina
Difference of premier league and Serie A is visible, Pace, Pressing(pressing in england is trying to get the ball and pressing in italy is trying to stop player making any pass), Stamina(fiorentina players looked tired after 70 mins) Plus poor marking & quick passing punished us.
feels lucky to get draw and away goal .

Such a hard decision in many ways.

1. Chelsea have 7 rest days. We have 2.
  2. Fiorentina's home form is average, far worse than their away form. 1st team should win.
  3. If they don't win and the match drags on we've effectively thrown the final away for nothing.
  4. Chelsea don't rotate their starting 11 and are already showing signs of burnout. We rotate and are super fit.
  5. Could potentially go far in the Europa League, objectively we're massive under dogs for the LC.
  6. Europa gets you CL over many games, LC gets you silverware in one game.
  7. Form after Europa is bad..but surely they will be up for a final?
Really hard calls. Felt like Poch completely fucked up the 1st leg and caused these problems for himself; Mason and Kane should have started. He put his faith in certain players and they let him down big time. Forentina aren't a great team, the tie is there to be won if we want it...but at what cost?

The present Spurs Squad are fitter and more prepared than any other team we have had for years,yes it will be tough in Florence but not out of reach but my only concern is another 1-1 draw plus extra time and pens.
Poch gambled on a solid result at the lane and nearly got a decent lead,now our players are at the mercy of Spams cup final,time consuming travel and Spursday away,then that Cup Final.
I trust Poch to rally our team,give some stiffs a runout and give our key players enough rest to make Chavs sweat COYS

Your thread needs more bulldogs

c3e04pV.gif
group-of-bulldogs.jpg

OPTIMIST ,LIKE IT.
thats-a-blast.gif

2. Fiorentina's home form is average, far worse than their away form. 1st team should win.
  3. If they don't win and the match drags on we've effectively thrown the final away for nothing.
  4. Chelsea don't rotate their starting 11 and are already showing signs of burnout. We rotate and are super fit.
  5. Could potentially go far in the Europa League, objectively we're massive under dogs for the LC.
Really hard calls. Felt like Poch completely fucked up the 1st leg and caused these problems for himself; Mason and Kane should have started. He put his faith in certain players and they let him down big time. Forentina aren't a great team, the tie is there to be won if we want it...but at what cost?
spot on, the tie should be over already and it would be if our first team had started. now he's got all these problems with who to pick. id go for a similar line up to last night, maybe 1 or 2 changes

I think we all expected last night that we would go hell for leather but the team and subs were a disappointment to say the least. We are still very much in it for both IMO but have made it slightly harder for ourselves now, the team will have to raise itself.

I also hope and expect Poch to learn something from this such as playing Kane up front not behind and not playing Paulinho unless an absolute requirement.

id go for a similar line up to last night, maybe 1 or 2 changes

Trouble with the line up last night

Lloris, Chadli, Eriksen, Bentaleb, Walker, Jan and possibly Fazio are all 1st team starters. That's 7 of your first team playing, yet because of how weak Paulinho and Soldado are the chances of us winning are quite low.

I'd either go all in, start the entire first 11 and put it to bed ASAP or just play entire reserve/kids. Not sure it's a game where you can sit on the fence and say "Well, only some starters". You leave the possibility of losing too high and tire your starters.

If we go 2-0 up, the tie is over. Can just play it along the back and take it easy at that point.

Last edited:
That's my biggest fear. Us playing a weakened side against Florence and losing and then playing our strongest team against chelski but getting brushed aside and end up being knocked out of two cup competitions within the space of three days.

From an objective point of view, that's probably what's going to happen, but you never know. We could win both. Chelsea looked shit against PSG and we learned that Fiorentina aren't anything to fear.

Lloris, Chadli, Eriksen, Bentaleb, Walker, Jan and possibly Fazio are all 1st team starters. That's 7 of your first team playing, yet because of how weak Paulinho and Soldado are the chances of us winning are quite low.

I'd either go all in, start the entire first 11 and put it to bed ASAP or just play entire reserve/kids. Not sure it's a game where you can sit on the fence and say "Well, only some starters". You leave the possibility of losing too high and tire your starters.

Don't think we can embrasses ourselves out in Italy, I would be tempted to go full strength and hope to get a few goals then rest key players, although I have to say as poch has better knowledge of the fitness requirements than any of us I don't know how feasible that is without damaging our LC prospects.

Don't think we can embrasses ourselves out in Italy, I would be tempted to go full strength and hope to get a few goals then rest key players, although I have to say as poch has better knowledge of the fitness requirements than any of us I don't know how feasible that is without damaging our LC prospects.

Yeah, agree completely, I'm starting to lean that way. I wanted us to play the reserves in this and just give it up, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Just edited one of my earlier posts, like you say, go 2-0 up and we're through to the next round and can then just waste time/sub players off.

you're right there & to be honest I do want us full strength in Italy. I know we've got a final 3 days after but I don't feel like we can stick all our eggs in 1 basket and hope we beat chelsea. there's a very good chance we lose at Wembley and if we give up on the Europa, our season's over by march

Think that's a tad harsh, Soldado scored a great goal yesterday and was unlucky not to have more. Agree on Paulinho though, he has been terrible forever and not even shown flashes of class. Really think we would've benefitted from Mason or Stambouli instead of him. Rest of the team I thought was quite good, it was the kind of game we could afford to rest Kane in.

Realistically, Chelsea have a 7 day break and we have 2 before the final, so they're at a huge advantage regardless of what team we put out, unless we rest literally every single one of our starting XI.

I say fucking go for it in Florence, get through and then use the adrenaline of the final to push through.

Back
Top Bottom