Financial Fair Play

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are Newcastle or Man City really unsustainable? They have the backing of two of the richest nations in the world behind them.
Everton had billionaire funding it beyond it's means, looking like they may go bankrupt. If they spent within thier means the enforced change in ownership would have limited impact.

All it needs is a shift in political climate or a change in the owners priority and they are unsustainable.

Everton had billionaire funding it beyond it's means, looking like they may go bankrupt. If they spent within thier means the enforced change in ownership would have limited impact.

All it needs is a shift in political climate or a change in the owners priority and they are unsustainable.

Sure but when it comes to investment it's always subject to political climate to some degree. But also not. Roman would have had no issues funding chavski if he wasn't forced out, even if his country was at war.

Investments can be locked for a period and during that period a club can be sustainable.

There’s a lot to unpack there and frankly you just kind of sound pissed off in general rather than about this specific issue.

Humans are fallible and rarely get it totally right the first time, and there‘s no chance everyone will be happy all at the same time. It’s maybe a decent start to put some additional controls in place though where less existed before. It’s not like things were running well prior to this.
I'm not sure what he was arguing for...it sounded like a board of Cis Klu Kluk Klansmen who like Lacrosse, but I probably got confused. Football 100% needs a regulator and representation is a good thing. Everything has bias built in because you know humans. But we still have and need all kinds of frame works.

Sure but when it comes to investment it's always subject to political climate to some degree. But also not. Roman would have had no issues funding chavski if he wasn't forced out, even if his country was at war.

Investments can be locked for a period and during that period a club can be sustainable.
When Everton built up the debt with a billionaire owner it was sustainable. Now it's not

When Inter built the debt with a billionaire owner it was sustainable. Now it's not

When Milan built the debt with a billionaire owner it was sustainable. Now it's not

When Everton built up the debt with a billionaire owner it was sustainable. Now it's not

When Inter built the debt with a billionaire owner it was sustainable. Now it's not

When Milan built the debt with a billionaire owner it was sustainable. Now it's not

So all billionaires are the same?

City is unsustainable? Newcastle is unustainable? Man UTD and Chelsea are unsustainable?

All of the big clubs in football were built by being bankrolled. How did Real get to where they are? Bayern, Juve, the list goes on...

The reason for that is when a billionaire owner comes in somewhere all the other clubs try to keep up and overspend

Look at City's model - it's not to pay the highest transfer fees or sign world superstars......it's to continually increase the top level of wages that they pay just above what everyone else can afford

Same for Chelsea - untold riches, war then quickly changing their travel from private chartered plane to megabus

Ultimately anyone with a spare £5bn to put into a football club has stolen it or misappropriated it from their country - which means that all of them are susceptible to it being taken away.

The richest businessman in the UK (Ratcliffe) couldn't afford to do it.

An independent regulator as opposed to the Premier League regulating it's own league is a positive.
That remains to be seen but I am suspicious of any Government intervention. The top 6 which I think includes us will pay more for the regulator. Cannot wait to see what diversity rules will be imposed. More money will go to lower league clubs. VAR was and is a good idea but the implementation is crap. It pisses me off watching on TV the time it sometimes takes to reach a decision but it must be so much worse in the ground, not knowing what is happening.
I believe the appointment of a regulator will prove to be detrimental to my club Tottenham.

Totally impractical even if it sounds good.

Reality is that the financial accounts for a club usually take a minimum of 3 months and more like 4/5 months to prepare AFTER the year end..

To give an example, Spurs have a year end of 30 June (overing the previous season running from mid August to mid May), so Spurs audited accounts are available probably end October/start of November, and these days have to be given to PL by end December plus any comments (eg separating out youth football, womens football, stadium costs etc) to enable certain costs to be adjusted in any FFP calculation.

PL in turn, will probably take a minimum of a month to review all 20 sets of PL club accounts, to decide which clubs have over spent and require some form of punishment....... hence we are now into February or so and the FFP discussions with clubs are underway.

Of course if you are ManCity (or certain other clubs) contesting any FFP assessment (especially those employing high priced lawyers checking every comma in the regulations to find a way around them), the assessment can take for ever.

But to take a straightforward example Forest KNEW they were breaking the FFP rules but HOPING they could get leniency by saying 'we sold a player 2 months after the end of the ffp period to get maximum price, but can we alter the facts to include part of his sale last year'

FFP Assessment - No back dating allowed. 6 points penalty but thanks for being straightforward with us, so we'll take 2 points off to make it a 4 point penalty.

The job of all clubs at the start of a season is to get as many points as possible. So FFP or not nothing changes, just try to get as many points as possible.
That all makes sense but surely in these cases you simply push the points deduction into the following season?

That remains to be seen but I am suspicious of any Government intervention. The top 6 which I think includes us will pay more for the regulator. Cannot wait to see what diversity rules will be imposed. More money will go to lower league clubs. VAR was and is a good idea but the implementation is crap. It pisses me off watching on TV the time it sometimes takes to reach a decision but it must be so much worse in the ground, not knowing what is happening.
I believe the appointment of a regulator will prove to be detrimental to my club Tottenham.

Think you're just worrying for no reason tbh

The only issue is that it's come too late, we could have done with this 20 years ago.

That all makes sense but surely in these cases you simply push the points deduction into the following season?

and you then get other fans saying 'we are being penalised for something that happened a long time ago'

The current system might be speeded up by a month or two - if all clubs co-operate and that's not a given - but its known early on in the season by the clubs which of them might be on dangerous ground and which are in deep do dahs !

So the rules could be changed so that in December when clubs give their accounts to PL the clubs are forced to announce (1) do they think they are well inside ffp rules or (2) do they think they are border line or (3) do they think they will have tough discussions with ffp. Of course many clubs will opt for (2) but such is life.

But that way all fans know half way through the season whether there is a chance of a points deduction or other penalties.

Back
Top Bottom