Fernando Llorente

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Signing feels a little 'eh to me. Better option off the bench when Kane isn't clicking or for when Kane needs a bit of rest. Perhaps its really what we need, a solid, if not exciting, player for rotation who is used to the league and already fully developed....just doesn't seem youthfully exciting, I guess sometimes success is boring.

:eriksenserious:

Signing feels a little 'eh to me. Better option off the bench when Kane isn't clicking or for when Kane needs a bit of rest. Perhaps its really what we need, a solid, if not exciting, player for rotation who is used to the league and already fully developed....just doesn't seem youthfully exciting, I guess sometimes success is boring.

:eriksenserious:
Would you rather have him or Vinny playing for us this season?

Would you rather have him or Vinny playing for us this season?
Llorente, no doubt. I like Vinny, think he'll be a success somewhere but don't think Spurs can develop him for the reasons I outlined earlier in the summer. It's very difficult to develop a young striker stepping up a level when you have such a clear cut #1 striker and only play with 1 up front. Kane was fortunate that Ade was being shoved out the door and Soldado was struggling mightily when he got his run of games and things started to click for him. Vinny will never get a run of games to gain confidence and develop here. That's why I figured we really needed another Son-like option - someone who can play up front against weaker competition but also be useful in other roles in bigger matches.

The other option is to support Kane with a Llorente type signing - older, established, doesn't need to develop. Like I said, it's a good signing - just not exciting. Sometimes exciting signings are bad signings and good signings aren't exciting. I know I need to eat vegetables, but I don't get jazzed up about eating them.

If it goes through I think it's a great signing. Teams drop deep and with Llorente not only do we have a guy that Kane can learn off of, we would have a guy that could really take advantage of teams dropping deep leaving them in a real dilemma if they should play a higher defensive line than we usually see against us. He knocks it down well, has good vision, is elegant on the ball and gives us a genuinely different option when overcoming difficulties we face when being stifled.

Him and Kane both offer different but lethal varieties. I for one cannot think of a striker we can realistically get that would offer us such valuable options with teams dropping deep. Options on the bench are key, I'd be very happy with a player as glittered and experienced as him warming up if we're in trouble after 70 minutes. He can play and he is physical. I'd take that over a flimsy headless chicken every day.

Now let's get him over the line and push for guys to challenge Eriksen and Alli when it's not clicking for them!

If it goes through I think it's a great signing. Teams drop deep and with Llorente not only do we have a guy that Kane can learn off of, we would have a guy that could really take advantage of teams dropping deep leaving them in a real dilemma if they should play a higher defensive line than we usually see against us. He knocks it down well, has good vision, is elegant on the ball and gives us a genuinely different option when overcoming difficulties we face when being stifled.

:crouch:

Then smile bro :sherwoodlol:
giphy.gif

Llorente, no doubt. I like Vinny, think he'll be a success somewhere but don't think Spurs can develop him for the reasons I outlined earlier in the summer. It's very difficult to develop a young striker stepping up a level when you have such a clear cut #1 striker and only play with 1 up front. Kane was fortunate that Ade was being shoved out the door and Soldado was struggling mightily when he got his run of games and things started to click for him. Vinny will never get a run of games to gain confidence and develop here. That's why I figured we really needed another Son-like option - someone who can play up front against weaker competition but also be useful in other roles in bigger matches.

The other option is to support Kane with a Llorente type signing - older, established, doesn't need to develop. Like I said, it's a good signing - just not exciting. Sometimes exciting signings are bad signings and good signings aren't exciting. I know I need to eat vegetables, but I don't get jazzed up about eating them.
A lot of our best signings in the last few years have been the unexciting ones - Wanyama, Dier, Dele to name 3.

Think it’s a player for Right now – we have not had one of those for a while all are for future and potential. Can’t think who we could afford that we could get for 2nd choice striker that offers this much. We still have a young squad, especially at the front, will be good to have a winner in the team.

In short out of the people have been linked with he is likely to have the most immediate impact,

A lot of our best signings in the last few years have been the unexciting ones - Wanyama, Dier, Dele to name 3.
I was actually pretty excited about all 3 of those. I thought Wanyama was a good signing for Southampton and then played well there for Poch, wanted him at Spurs when Poch came so to finally get him was great in my book. Dier was the rare English gem with continental experience coming from one of the better talent producing academies, I remember the great debate on how to pronounce is name 'Deer' v 'Die-r', then he fucking scored against Spam and the validated the love in. Dele was the hyped youngster after standing out at Dons, and we fucked off the dippers by signing him - was very excited about that one.

No, we don't have Ronaldo signings, but we have Spurs-exciting signings. Llorente feels pedestrian by comparison, just good established player moving up a level...seems like what Liverpool do every summer when they buy Southampton.

Think it’s a player for Right now – we have not had one of those for a while all are for future and potential. Can’t think who we could afford that we could get for 2nd choice striker that offers this much. We still have a young squad, especially at the front, will be good to have a winner in the team.

In short out of the people have been linked with he is likely to have the most immediate impact,
Agree. The contract length that we have supposedly offered is 2yrs with the possibility of an additional year. Almost all deals we are signing (both new players and current new contracts) are 5 or 6 yrs.

An experienced player is a good thing. Particularly if he doesn't mind being second fiddle which he inevitably would be.
I like the idea, but if we were going for a veteran striker, I'd have preferred Defoe. He's a yiddo.
Trust in Poch. That's all we can do.

Back
Top Bottom