FA Cup 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dru said:
I dont think any club in the premier league would fill their stadium if they knew they were going to field a 2nd/3rd string team against Cheltenham Town and have to pay £30 a ticket.

Sorry, meant £30+ a ticket

My point was people have voted with their feet this season in cup games (EL). The reason we have sold out this time is because we have virtually given tickets away, plus it's a Saturday afternoon kick off.

I bought 7 tickets for 90quid. No way I would normally buy that many and I'm sure plenty of others will be taking the kids to this as well. That's why its a sell out.

Also Cheltenham have got approx 5k coming along.

Until this game our EL attendance was poor, I don't think this sell out has anything to do with the "magic of the cup".

It's a pet hate of mine. Same people not buying tickets for this will moan when they don't get tickets to Spurs v Barca next year and will be clamouring for a bigger ground. Where were they when we played Shamrock Rovers? Wankers.

SpursUltra said:
My point was people have voted with their feet this season in cup games (EL). The reason we have sold out this time is because we have virtually given tickets away, plus it's a Saturday afternoon kick off.

I bought 7 tickets for 90quid. No way I would normally buy that many and I'm sure plenty of others will be taking the kids to this as well. That's why its a sell out.

Also Cheltenham have got approx 5k coming along.

Until this game our EL attendance was poor, I don't think this sell out has anything to do with the "magic of the cup".

It's a pet hate of mine. Same people not buying tickets for this will moan when they don't get tickets to Spurs v Barca next year and will be clamouring for a bigger ground. Where were they when we played Shamrock Rovers? Wankers.

Totally agree with that last bit mate. I would be going tomorrow if I wasn't going Wednesday and next Saturday as well.

Oh OK I got you.

I thought you were saying fans dont care anymore. I think they do but in the present climate, they care at a reasonable price

I would like to go tomorrow, could do with the extra loyalty points, but I'm already going Wednesday and Saturday and it's about 80 quid just for ticket & travel from where I live (Cheltenham are my local side ironically enough) whichever way I do the journey. It's more affordable to do the PL games as they're already paid for up front.

Re the FA Cup in general. I think it gets talked down a lot and because that's the media perception we all go along with it. It's not got the glamour of years gone by as the CL is all important it's no longer the second biggest prize, and the biggest game of the season. Also, the press/supporters point to sides playing reserve teams but it's reflective of the gulf between big and small that we/Utd/City etc. can play virtual "reserve" teams that are still good enough to see off anyone from the bottom 5 of the PL downwards. However, when teams down the bottom throw away the cup for a chance of "survival" in the league a little part of me dies inside but that's a whole new thread and not THFC related!

I'm on record somewhere on here before saying how much I want to win the FA Cup, in fact I'd take it over winning the league...don't get me wrong the league would be amazing/mental but it's not very "Spurs". The FA Cup IS Spurs and we've been 21 years without it - that hurts me more than 51 since a league title!

Ultimately we have to be realistic and missing the top 4 for a Cup win this season won't continue the progress we've made but I'd like to think we could easily still finish in the top 4 having a decent tilt at the FA Cup, but our sights in the league are set a bit higher at the moment and when push comes to shove in the Feb/March run when we've got a Cup QF amongst some of those league games one will have to give and it won't be the league if we're still within 3 points of Utd/City.

thedutchman said:
The FA Cup IS Spurs and we've been 21 years without it - that hurts me more than 51 since a league title!
quote]

I'd never thought about it like that but I totally agree with you actually

I'd much rather win the league this season than the FA Cup, winning the league would be the fucking absolute pinnacle.

Yeah but it still seems worse that we haven't won the Cup in 21 years than the league in 51 for some reason.

I would prefer to win the League this year though. Lucky we're gonna do the double so we don't have to choose eh

Thelonious Filth said:
I'd much rather win the league this season than the FA Cup, winning the league would be the fucking absolute pinnacle.

It's confusing me...never had to worry about winning the league (other than on FM) so the cup has always had a greater tie to me as a Spurs fan. Plus the '91 cup semi is the reason I support Spurs!

If we won either I'd go batshit mental, but if we won the league I'd probably lose a week of my life.

Fuck it. Double. I want the Double.

Given the split of the FA Cup since we've won it, that stat is misleading. Under 10 different teams have won the cup in the last 21 years.

The double would be sexual, it'd shove that 61 never again chant up those cunts arses!

IN THE CUP FOR TOTTINGHAM, COOOOOOOME ON YOU, SPURS ARE ON THEIR WAY TO WEMBLEY, TOTTENHAM'S GONNA DO IT AGAIN!!

SpursUltra said:
It will never change to the FA cup becoming a way into the CL, no clubs would vote for it and I can't see UEFA sanctioning it either.

Are you sure? I can't see middling clubs such as Villa, Stoke and Everton being dismissive of the opportunity to have an outside chance of qualifying. As you go further down the table, support of the idea will only intesify. Hell, with current scrap for fourth place this season I can even see the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Woolwich being supportive.

Furthermore, as far as I understand UEFA do not need to sanction how teams qualify. This is down to the respective nation's football governing bodies; the FA/PL could award a CL place to the winners of the Blue Square if they so wished.

SpursUltra said:
A possible 6 games (four at home, two at a neutral venue) in which you could possibly not play another Premiership side to win a CL place.

And the last time that happened was when? Also, given the magnitude of the prize on offer you can bet your arse that every club will field the strongest side, with the possible exception of the top two in the PL, so the possibility of an 'easy' route to the final will be minimal.

Besides, in the last ten years Portsmouth have been the only winners to finish outside the top four in the same season, and even that was in the current era of teams fielding piss-weak sides in the competition.

SpursUltra said:
As for the idea of winning this above finishing top 4, no way. We did that with the CC and then watched our best player leave.
At the moment we need to cement ourselves as a realistic Top 4 team and league contenders. What would be the point of winning the FA Cup and then watching Modric, Bale, Adebayor and countless others walk away for CL football.

Run in to the end of this season I just want us to be concentrating on winning the league or at worst finishing 3rd. At this point in time anything less would be seen as failure IMO.

I just don't think that our great tradition of cup success has got us anywhere during the EPL years. I have bought tickets to all cup games this year, including 7 for the game on Saturday, and judging by attendances to date most people have been voting with their feet when it comes to our cup games.

Top 4 is where it's at. Welcome to 2012.

What's wrong with wanting both? We were within a gnat's cock of making the final in the same year we finished in the top four. Had we not been so complacent against Pompey we could easily have had our cake and eaten it. Stats show that nine out of the last ten Cups were won by sides that finished in the top four anyway, so why can't Spurs do the same?

For me one competition should not take precedent over the other - we should be piling all our efforts in to winning as much as we can. Confidence is only bred by winning. Just look at how Manure and Shitty were supposed to be able to "concentrate on the league" once they dropped out of the CL; their recent form completely contradicts this notion.

I wonder how many of those wanting to maintain the status quo would feel this way were we outside the top four ourselves.

XI: Cudicini; Livermore, Bassong, Dawson, Rose; Lennon, Kranjcar, Pienaar, Giovani; Defoe, Pavlyuchenko.

Subs: Gomes, Kaboul, Bostock, Carroll, Falque, Parrett, van der Vaart.

4 wingers, no CM's.

Would have liked Falque to start, what's the point of the loan with him. That midfield is terrible, if I was the Cheltenham manager i'd be saying get stuck in, get in their faces from the start, boss the middle. No bite.

Back
Top Bottom