F.A Cup Draw

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn't we used to play Christmas Day and Boxing Day? And Good Friday, Easter Weekend & Easter Monday?

We're playing Leicester 3pm Boxing Day, and Man United Midday on the 28th? That's not a problem though is it? Oh, because we get TV money for that one.

Football without fans is nothing.
So you seriously think it's a good idea to play Thursday night, Saturday afternoon. The overwhelming majority of our fans, roughly 99% of them WON'T be at Burnley whether it's played Saturday Sunday or Monday. But because of the desire of 1 or 2% of our fanbase to go to Burnley on a Saturday but not a Monday, we should risk going out of the FA Cup.

As you say 'football without fans' is nothing and I'm very confident the MAJORITY of Spurs fans would rather us still be in the FA Cup for the 4th round, rather than lose at Burnley.

So again WELL DONE to the the club for making this on a Monday, and also arranging FREE coach travel.

So you seriously think it's a good idea to play Thursday night, Saturday afternoon. The overwhelming majority of our fans, roughly 99% of them WON'T be at Burnley whether it's played Saturday Sunday or Monday. But because of the desire of 1 or 2% of our fanbase to go to Burnley on a Saturday but not a Monday, we should risk going out of the FA Cup.

As you say 'football without fans' is nothing and I'm very confident the MAJORITY of Spurs fans would rather us still be in the FA Cup for the 4th round, rather than lose at Burnley.

So again WELL DONE to the the club for making this on a Monday, and also arranging FREE coach travel.
Yeah the armchair fans are far more important than the ones who pay hard earned money to schlap up to burnley.

Fact of the matter is, it was on both Spurs and FA website as a 3pm Saturday k.o. Everyone naturally assumed it would be played then, including our club, when it wasn't selected for TV. Some people already bought train tickets. I was still considering whether I wanted to go, was waiting to here back from a couple of mates to see if they were going- otherwise I would have bought train tickets then to get a cheaper deal. If Spurs want to play it on the Monday instead of the Saturday, they should reimburse those fans who bought train tickets, as well as providing the free coach travel which they have done.

The hardcore fans who travel all over the country and Europe to follow the club should ALWAYS be prioritized over the 99% armchair majority.

Fact of the matter is, it was on both Spurs and FA website as a 3pm Saturday k.o. Everyone naturally assumed it would be played then, including our club, when it wasn't selected for TV. Some people already bought train tickets. I was still considering whether I wanted to go, was waiting to here back from a couple of mates to see if they were going- otherwise I would have bought train tickets then to get a cheaper deal. If Spurs want to play it on the Monday instead of the Saturday, they should reimburse those fans who bought train tickets, as well as providing the free coach travel which they have done.

The hardcore fans who travel all over the country and Europe to follow the club should ALWAYS be prioritized over the 99% armchair majority.
Agree a hundred times

Are you really telling me that you think only 1/2% of our fanbase who would of gone on a Saturday wouldn't go on a Monday? Me, for starters would've gone 100% on a Saturday but not on a Monday Evening.

Burnley are playing on New Year's Day too, yes? So it's the same for them. Infact no, no it's not. They have a smaller squad. So more of a disadvantage for them.

Can tell you're one of these bods who would happily have 9am Kick Off times so it suits the Asian population who follow the Premier League.

Spot on. Though the praise at the bottom is slightly OTT - least they could have done. Though it's Burnley's home game so presumably most of this is their doing?

Imagine we agreed to play on the Saturday. Cue the wailing and bitching about Poch not taking the competition seriously for playing a scratch side. Failing to take the FA Cup's traditions seriously. Moaning about having to pay £20 plus travel to watch the reserves etc etc....

Situation where the club seem to have been shafted by the police and nothing else they could have done. Don't think Burnley could have done much either.

Are you really telling me that you think only 1/2% of our fanbase who would of gone on a Saturday wouldn't go on a Monday? Me, for starters would've gone 100% on a Saturday but not on a Monday Evening.

Burnley are playing on New Year's Day too, yes? So it's the same for them. Infact no, no it's not. They have a smaller squad. So more of a disadvantage for them.

Can tell you're one of these bods who would happily have 9am Kick Off times so it suits the Asian population who follow the Premier League.

Just for the record, I'm not one of those bods who think that. But as you apparently can tell that I am, there's no point in me telling you about what I think, so it's best I put you on ignore.

I doubt you've supported Spurs as long and fervently as I have. You probably haven't been to as many games as I have either. But I put the club first, not my own desires for a day out watching them.

Last edited:
It's completely shit.
I thought I was OK to go Monday because I'm a supply teacher, now I can't as I've got steady work first week of term.
Most people wouldn't even have the option!
Utterly utterly pathetic decision. Our support will be less than Istanbul.
Hope Burnley don't sing like Besiktas.

Just for the record, I'm not one of those bods who think that. But as you apparently can tell that I am, there's no point in me telling you about what I think, so it's best I put you on ignore.

I doubt you've supported Spurs as long and fervently as I have. You probably haven't been to as many games as I have either. But I put the club first, not my own desires for a day out watching them.

So, youre using the fact that youre older than me to get one over on me? Something I cant help. You cant help your age, chap.
Then to put me on ignore.. christ you really are a jobsworth you.

You should turn up to the Junior Spurs Members christmas party and walk round telling everyone how youve been more games than them & youre much older and wiser.

This whole situation points towards a farce. In fact the festive season fixturing is terrible IMO. I don't care which club you are, playing two games in 3 days is a terrible idea. Though Monday is not ideal, at least it gives the players a chance. EPL should sort this shit out well in advance.

I've never quite worked out why we play so often around Christmas, just seems silly. I appreciate though that it's traditional and some fans love it so there you go. I am always surprised so many people manage to get out of Boxing Day duties to get to the match!!!

I can remember traveling up on new years day for a 12 o clock KO against Coventry. Raining, cold, hungover, no sleep, saw a 0-0 crap game shite all-round. How was that ever acceptable? Those were the days?

I may have got the KO time wrong, Im sure it was 12 ?

I've never quite worked out why we play so often around Christmas, just seems silly. I appreciate though that it's traditional and some fans love it so there you go. I am always surprised so many people manage to get out of Boxing Day duties to get to the match!!!
Local derby used to be played on Boxing/new years day around the county. I can remember going to see us v Scum rgularly and Im sure Man/Liv and others played their derby as well.

Back
Top Bottom