European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
No matter if every chairman/owner comes out and apologise, they don't mean it. Do you really think they are ok with missing out on £300m+ a season?

Levy won't apologise anyway, he's far too proud to do that. I hope peaceful protests do happen tonight, as it will really show what we want, just hope it doesn't affect the players or impact Ryan's first managerial match.

Or UEFA will bend over and from 2024 give the big 12 exactly what they wanted all along - oh wait they just did.
As an F1 fan this stinks of the methods the bigger/historical race teams (Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes, McLaren, Williams) use to twist the arm of the race management into giving them what they want.

I’ve read about the FISA vs FOCA wars and basically it’s the same principles.

It’s just that footy teams are treated as a holy religious institution so that anything that appears to threaten causes this reaction.

The fans did not win. UEFA’s new UCL format basically gives these clubs what they want so is it really good for the game?

The teams involved (Spurs and Woolwich maybe not) + Bayern and Dortmund and PSG go out most weeks as an absolute formality playing teams like eibar, valenciennes and SPAL. Football is one of the most popular sport in the world, and the draw is for those big teams because that’s where the Brady’s, lebron’s and Jordan’s are. It is really cannibalising the potential interest of football that over three quarters of games are against rubbish. Other leagues, like NBA and NFL has way more potential for upset in an individual game, if it was Minnesota v Lakers every week would people watch?

The champions league always plugged this gap. It provided the big clubs the platform they needed to capitalise on their size. But the group stage games are now also dead - I am thinking about cancelling BT - I just don’t care about slavia Prague and midjtyllnd. The outer stages of the league, quarters onwards, are basically just a mini-league version of the ESL anyway. And the new proposal? It’s the ESL! 10 games per team of which over half will be powerhouse clashes with low probability of minnows progressing by beating so many big teams. So what’s o bad about the ESL? The ESL will have taken money away from uefa and, unless the clubs got kicked out the domestic leagues, they bring that money back. A team finishing 16th in the prem already I think gets more tv revenue than Barcelona - trickle down is a thing. Even the parachute money relegated clubs get is bonkers. This would have been an enriching exercise if it just replaced the champions league which I think was the actual intention.

I’m not sure how we are now better off than that with uefa’s proposal?

As for the non-relegation - well these have (us the exception) been the biggest European clubs for decades. This isn’t going to change overnight due to their financial or government clout. They will be the draw for sometime but in a highly competitive league probability of one finishing bottom (imagine us this year) consistently may be high and justify some financial protection for the pioneering clubs.

I think a lot of the reaction has been emotionally charged. I don’t think any of the clubs actually wanted to leave the premier league. The champions league is what’s dead on arrival. Cannibalising football’s draw. Perez’ comments sound whacky but he’s right - the younger generation around the world don’t want to sit down for 2 hours to see Madrid v Eibar. They’ll dip in and out of Lakers v Clippers tho, interest in football is waning relative to other sports, sorry to bring it up again but more people in asia do now watch the nba than premier league football - the model is not working because the interest in local derbies is no longer the USP. The biggest brands in the world like mbappe and Messi and walking over getafe and nantes every week and the champions league is failing to plug that hole until late April every year.

Those in this country emotionally invested in bovril, punch ups and pies and go on about grass roots but have never been to watch Bromley FC. I think the super league arguments are obvious to those not wrapped up in this country’s cultural insecurities and obsession with the past. Sky and BT (Gary, carra) twisted the reality and made it sound like the clubs wanted to leave the premier league to stir U.K. hatred against it and BOJO got on board for cynical political capital - they twisted the true intentions and killed it for selfish gain - who said they wanted to leave the league?)

I think this post is the winner today.

I agree moneywise i don't see how fans get the money, but that is the german system and lots of Fan groups in this country want it here
It doesnt work unless everyone is in the same boat. Look at pompey, ended up owned by the fans but in the end they had to sell to the Disney guy in order to get the investment they needed to try and grow again. Disney guy was not going to do it without the controlling stake. Why would you risk your money without control, getting no more than 49%?

Anyone who thinks this is over is deluded.
It will be rehashed and they will come up with a method of sugar coating it and it will happen.

Top 3 clubs every season compete in European superleague the following season, as well as their domestic league (excused cups) from Germany, France, Spain, Italy and England.
So every season it will be the same 10 or 12 clubs and a meritorious 3 others on an occasional basis when a Leicester or Seville crawl through the currency curtain in their home country.

Something like that
This is what I believe too, something like this. Prob won’t be just 3 in England but I bet it doesn’t include us again next time as we’re in a down phase that I can’t see us just popping straight back up out of. Unless Levy really does go, then who knows?

Last edited:
At least it was an unreserved apology, which is more than we got from our weasel of a temporary custodian

I noticed that too. Woolwich apologised to their supporters as well admitting they had made a mistake whereas all Spurs have done is say they regret the anxiety and upset caused which is clearly not an apology of any kind. Clearly Levy has no intention of going

Just to add to the 51% debate ....

Take the last few days scenario and let's assume 49% of the shares are held by DL and chums with 51% are held by fans, let's call those fans all TFC members just for arguments sake ...

The board send out notice saying "Spurs are joining the ESL our 49% vote Yes" what do you vote?

Looking at the poll we vote our shares 44% No and 7% Yes

Outcome 56% Yes 44% No .... so even with a 51% fan shareholding, and with an issue where 90% of the fans are ready to burn the stadium down, in the end the board still win the vote.
Well for starters, you could add that the majority of the fans view will be a 100% deciding factor in shares.
It’s possible to do. One just need to organize it carefully.

City fans apparently felt sick and that something was ripped away from them after the ESL announcement.

They must have been devastated when their club became a sport washing front for a despotic oil regime with a questionable human rights record

You know what, in some respect I have to admire Levy's brazen statement that he put out yesterday. At least he's not lying to our faces (in this specific case), all the owners aren't apologising because they're sorry for doing this. They're apologising for PR, I don't and won't take any word out of their mouths as truth from now on.

You know what, in some respect I have to admire Levy's brazen statement that he put out yesterday. At least he's not lying to our faces (in this specific case), all the owners aren't apologising because they're sorry for doing this. They're apologising for PR, I don't and won't take any word out of their mouths as truth from now on.

Unfortunately some will believe it. People are easily conned.

Why did you ever believe anything people like Levy said. They do not care about the fans to them we are just revenue streams. This did not die because of the fans it died because of the lack of sponsors and someone buying the TV rights. This was very poorly thought through.

Back
Top Bottom