European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
You have to hand it to Bayern and PSG they used their ownership structures to avoid getting tarred with the ESL brush ... but don't kid yourself if the ESL had gone through they would have joined ... that or go bust. You'd have to be truly naive if you believe any football club is idealistic enough that it would rather go under than bend on it's principles, not that football clubs have any principles.

Well played PSG and Bayern ... now go get your rewards from the crooks at UEFA you've certainly earned them.
Fuck both of them. Ones an oil state and the other just tampers with rival players so they can steal them for free. Both are just as bad.

I'm waiting for the consequences of this - if not from UEFA and PL, surely it's going to come from whoever put up the £3.5 billion to get this off the ground.

I've always been in the 'Levy's intentions are for the good of the Club, although he doesn't always get it right' camp. But he should do the honourable thing and fall on his sword.
His statement was laughable as well, throwing in financial fair play as a reason and how it would have supported the wider football pyramid.

He is as dishonest as they come, the reality is, ENIC saw an opportunity to make billions and they took it without a care in the fucking world for the fans or supporters or for football as a whole.

I would respect them more if they were just honest about their intentions rather than pretending this was some sort of noble pursuit for the greater good.

I can't stand that we are owned by these fucking snakes, it makes me sick tbh.

Yet more astute owners at City and Chelsea didn't see it that way. Easy in hindsight to say it was wrong to join but it could just have easily been the wrong thing to not join. Real Madrid and Barcelona, together with all the Top English and Italian teams. That would have been incredibly hard to walk away from, especially with a cash input added.
Two teams that didn’t need it and actually directly benefit from pulling the rug out from under their competitors either way. Easy to see why they flipped first.

UEFA are cunts of the biggest order. This is basically Super League crap with poorer teams in it
No, you have it all wrong. Football was saved today by the likes of Jamie Caragher, Sheikh Mansour, Roman Abromovich, David Beckham, and Jordan Henderson.

Thank god UEFA prevailed, now we can get back to football being the working man’s game.

If you were to be ultra cynical you could see this as a huge 'scam' perpetrated by the big clubs in order to force UEFA to give them everything they wanted ...

Let's face it the whole debacle is weird, there has been zero attempt by the mysterious ESL to promote their idea, to tell us it's benefits, to sell it to us in anyway. No owners, chairmen, players have come out with statements in support, no documents or financial projections have been released, in fact apart from telling us "their are 12 teams already involved" what have we been told that isn't just media created gossip and pure speculation?

Now just a few days later with no financial cost, sure they got dogs abuse but they get that anyway, not only have they got UEFA to release the planned 2024 European Football structure, it would appear that structure falls in line with what UEFA just a few weeks ago had refused to concede, namely the big clubs are pretty much guaranteed entry just as they are now, the big clubs will be seeded on long term co-efficient effectively guaranteeing the same seeds every year, the big clubs will get to play home and away in a league format, again almost ensuring that the odd 'giant-killing' will not stop the same top sixteen making up the vast majority of every seasons final sixteen, and crucially that the money generated will be shared based on performance again almost guaranteeing that the vast majority goes to the big clubs.

In short the "big clubs" have got exactly what they wanted a European Super League in all but name dominated by an elite few who will suck up nearly all the cash generated, and they achieved all that by creating the magical "ESL" what now appears to be little more than a paper exercise.

Have we all been played? looking at that one could easily believe that we have ......

If you were to be ultra cynical you could see this as a huge 'scam' perpetrated by the big clubs in order to force UEFA to give them everything they wanted ...

Let's face it the whole debacle is weird, there has been zero attempt by the mysterious ESL to promote their idea, to tell us it's benefits, to sell it to us in anyway. No owners, chairmen, players have come out with statements in support, no documents or financial projections have been released, in fact apart from telling us "their are 12 teams already involved" what have we been told that isn't just media created gossip and pure speculation?

Now just a few days later with no financial cost, sure they got dogs abuse but they get that anyway, not only have they got UEFA to release the planned 2024 European Football structure, it would appear that structure falls in line with what UEFA just a few weeks ago had refused to concede, namely the big clubs are pretty much guaranteed entry just as they are now, the big clubs will be seeded on long term co-efficient effectively guaranteeing the same seeds every year, the big clubs will get to play home and away in a league format, again almost ensuring that the odd 'giant-killing' will not stop the same top sixteen making up the vast majority of every seasons final sixteen, and crucially that the money generated will be shared based on performance again almost guaranteeing that the vast majority goes to the big clubs.

In short the "big clubs" have got exactly what they wanted a European Super League in all but name dominated by an elite few who will suck up nearly all the cash generated, and they achieved all that by creating the magical "ESL" what now appears to be little more than a paper exercise.

Have we all been played? looking at that one could easily believe that we have ......
Wow 😳

lol people have changed their votes.
Well that will teach them. What a fucking absolute joke it was. I was genuinely making enquiries with a few like minded mates about doing a tour of the lower league grounds when we were all available. I have Spurs mates, Woolwich mates, & chavs who were all ready to throw in the towel on decades of support. United supporters only “mobilised” when Neville piped up & they saw the writing on the wall- they are cunts. Same with the scousers. City fan mates (all 3 of them) messaged me when they jumped ship to say they were glad it had died at birth.

you sicken me to my core
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

I always opt for the controversial vote in these polls to spice things up a bit, sorry, not really in favour of a closed-shop super league, though i do hold the view that it’s better to be in it than out if it were to ever happen.

That's the start, 2 clubs get the back door entry..then it'll be 4, 6, 8 etc. It's a closed shop by stealth.

The whole outrage over this ESL was based on the closed shop principle as though these clubs aren't already planning to implement that eventually. They just jumped the gun this time.
Yeah, thats the problem. Like I said before, you had to give the ESL points for finally being honest about it. UEFA is just doing the same thing and hiding it behind "coefficients".

Back
Top Bottom