European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Its not a working man/woman's sport anymore, its all about money, football is becoming the same as NFL, it will become franchised and names of long standing football clubs will be gone
Nottinham Hotspurs
Liverpool United
Manchester Wanderers
The Gooners will stay the same because no fucker will buy them ..... :levywhoa:

I’m not naive, I know how important money is to football. If we have to knock down WHL, have a shit red sponsor, prioritize top 4 over trophies, etc. I can grit my teeth and bear it. The terraces aren’t coming back, it’s not what we’d choose but it’s a natural progression of sport and big money.

Choosing to blow up domestic leagues and creating an oligarchic superleague that no one wants just so the Glazers, Lewis, Kroenke, Abramovich, FSE, Mansour, and the Agnellis can line their pockets with even more obscene wealth and I’m just out. The game will have totally gone. I have no sympathy for these owners. 20 years ago ENIC bought the club for under 100m, now it’s probably worth 10x that, and thats being cautious. They have made money hand over fist.

It’s obscene, in the literal meaning of the world. What does club history even mean in a world like that? It‘ll be a hollow shell of Tottenham. Lord knows how they’ll further rip us off when this league gets going. Ppv will probably cost more than tickets did 10 years ago.

Would this really harm the Premier League that much, if at all? As a sporting competition, maybe, but as a business venture, which is what they care about? It would be suicide if they kicked the big 6 out.

The PL in the current format redistributes TV income - the big clubs get less than their viewing figures would say they should, the small ones get more. The result is a competitive league, the most popular in the world. This proposal would destroy that balance, and the remaining PL teams would be agreeing to be perpetual losers.

If this is driven by American club owners, I'm not sure they've understood the history and depth of feeling in the UK. I can't think this will be seen as legitimate among the footballing public here. The reality, however is that international owners and the global audience may not care so much.

Things we probably wont see if this goes ahead:

Any German teams due to the 50+1 rule for supporters trusts actually having a say.

PSG and City joining in. This entire shitshow was probably triggered when City had their CL ban overturned. The traditional big clubs either can't compete with the oil cunts or simply don't want to. This will make the clubs more money than we could ever realise but naturally it won't be enough for Levy.

The more I think about it the more I'm in favour because:

The combination of the pandemic and Mourinho have been a disaster for us, it could take several years to get back to where we were, making it very difficult to hold on to the likes of Kane. Those problems are solved in an instant and with the new stadium built we're well placed to benefit from this more than most.

I don't think any PL teams would have considered this without Covid but it's taken hundreds of millions out of their coffers.

The top 6 have been after this for years since the increased TV rights was rejected

They don't want a fair competition they just want money

This will also make a mockery of the leagues that the teams in this compete. Because one it makes CL irrelevant and trying to get in it, and the teams not in it will never be able to compete again, because they can never get into it and therefore the can't get the same money

We will also get spanked every game almost and will never win anything

But as long we turn over a profit eh

Do not agree with it but we could not allow the other top 5 to sign up and as not. Hopefully will not happen but it is catch 22, it must be worse for Leicester who look like getting top 4 to be excluded now and forever.

Premier League is basically threating to shoot itself in the head.
PL would survive without these teams in it domestic wise. Issue is foreign fans who don't care about increases in ticket prices that go with this and the average fan being kicked out, because they will only ever watch on TV

But genuinely I don't think they will have a choice but to kick the clubs out of it who go for it and join.

It's a closed competition that generates 1/2 a billion in extra cash for the teams in it

And unlike the CL there is no way a club can get into it unless your invited. It's a like a cartel

Will kill the games in the PL will become like La Liga where it's a surprise if a team in it doesn't win by 4 every game.

Fair play to Gary Neville. The clubs owners have shitted all over the fans for years and now can't even hide their contempt for them.

Some of us on here can remember when it was terraces, affordable ticket prices and more of an even competition, you won anything on merit not because of rich owners.

Now its most fans priced out, clubs eager to empty your pockets and stadiums full of fucking idiot day trippers and ruperts. Creating zero atmosphere and who are more interested in looking at their fucking phone and making sure they get something to eat at half time rather than actually supporting their team

Back
Top Bottom