Entertainment or Glory?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Entertainment or Glory?

• Entertainment

Votes: 27 73.0%
  • Glory

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters
Right so on my way to college this morning with my Chelski mates, the question came up of whether football is about entertainment value, or glory.

I put forward the case for entertainment, whilst both of them agreed that winning was more important (and another Chelsk at college agreed with them). With Spurs, our games are never dull, we bomb forward and are exposed at the back. Every 90 minutes is a complete fucking rollercoaster and although sometimes we have immense depression (ie. now) there's also the unexpected wins at the San Siro and other high points.

I just could not motivate myself to support a team like Sunderland or Villa who play dull, shit football every game. And then if you don't win but you're only in it for glory, surely you're setting yourself up for disappointment?

So, would you swap it all for a dull 1-0 win every week? Come under pressure and get the ball clear but score once, or are you happy with our indifferent, exciting form?

Not saying I don't want Spurs to win everything going, but if we always won dour 1-0 games every week I'd be a lot less passionate about football in general. I take the whole Danny Blanchflower thing a bit too far sometimes, when I'm gambling for example. But fuck it, I want to win in style, and ain't scared of losing in pursuit of that.

Also an extension of "do you want glory at the cost of being a dour boring club" is "do you want glory at all costs?" To which I'd say there is no glory in that.

Football's just a sport, and like most sports, they're played to entertain.

If it was about glory I'd be a Man Utd or Real Madrid supporter

Glory Glory Hallelujah.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I voted entertainment. I go to football for the day out, the buzz and to support my team. If we win, great, if we lose, we pick ourselves up and move onto the next game. Yes, this is sometimes a lot hardly than just said, but we do it.

We are Tottenham Hotspur and we will achieve glory in an entertaining fashion eventually. We know no other way.

Glory is winning, or making a worthwhile scene of it. Right now, all we can hope for is entertainment.

They say that all good things are worth waiting for. I am prepared to wait for glory if the glory is all the better when it fially comes.

In the meantime, I hope for entertainment.

Its a difficult question. So difficult I havent voted yet.

The way I see it is that entertainment with nothing to show will just keep us as nearly men. Look at Barca this season...the suppposed best side ever....yet they might not win LaLiga, and they will definately not win the CL.

In the coming years, it will have two other teams names engraved on the cups, and in the history books. There will not be a sidenote about how well Barca tapped it around, and how many shots they had.

Goals win trophies, not possession stats. Not heat maps, or graphs.

But when Chelsea won the double the other the year, no one, not even their own fans gave a fuck. They bored everyone to tears.

The Tottenham way is to entertain...play football the right way "lets not wait for the opposition to die of boredom"......"its full of ballet movements"...

Just like I wouldnt want us to win trophies with a sugar daddy, Ive realized writing this, that winning them under a regime of bus parking would be equally not be the right way.

We've waited long enough.....lets do it right. Entertainment AND Glory.

TTID

sammyspurs said:
In the coming years, it will have two other teams names engraved on the cups, and in the history books. There will not be a sidenote about how well Barca tapped it around, and how many shots they had.

Guardiola's Barca team will be remembered long after John Terry has ceased to exist

Blanchflower said:
sammyspurs said:

Guardiola's Barca team will be remembered long after John Terry has ceased to exist

And rightly so. But it wont say Barcelona on 2012's CL trophy......and possibly not the LaLiga one either. So does that still make them the best side to ever exist?

The best ever would also be able do what it takes to win. Try a pot shot, try the wings etc. Barca looked like a stuck record for the whole second half....and entertainment is also about variety.

sammyspurs said:
Blanchflower said:
sammyspurs said:

And rightly so. But it wont say Barcelona on 2012's CL trophy......and possibly not the LaLiga one either. So does that still make them the best side to ever exist?

The best ever would also be able do what it takes to win. Try a pot shot, try the wings etc. Barca looked like a stuck record for the whole second half....and entertainment is also about variety.

probably why they want Bale......

Blanchflower said:
sammyspurs said:

Probably because they've won everything going for the last few years. It's all very well playing like Barcelona do, but would they be praised so much if they'd won fuck all? Not a chance.

I wouldn't say I want Spurs to win something at all costs, but I'd certainly sacrifice some entertainment to win something for sure.

EssexYid said:
Blanchflower said:
sammyspurs said:

Probably because they've won everything going for the last few years. It's all very well playing like Barcelona do, but would they be praised so much if they'd won fuck all? Not a chance.

Not true. The Dutch have always been remembered for how they play the game and they win fuck all. Brazil remember one of their best players as Socrates, who won fuck all with them. Shearer, Le Tissier etc. - You can exhibit glory without glorying over results.

Of course they'll be remembered either way, but the fact they're being mentioned as one of the greatest sides of all time is because they play the way they do AND win trophies.

And I bet if you looked at a generic best XI in the Premier League era, all players in that team will have won the title at least once. Even Shearer has at Blackburn.

Back
Top Bottom