Do you think we could have held Bale at the club?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you think we could have held Bale or Modric at the club?

• Yes

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 84 75.7%

• Total voters
Only a dim witted retard would think along the lines of "that could never happen with Bale....because it didnt with Suarez"

it's never happened with any player of any note or pedigree you stupid fuck

you fuckn lemmings are speaking in pure hypotheticals and trying to pawn them off as facts lol

I'd rather smoother my balls in honey and go sit bare assed on a fire ant hill than go back and forth with a cancerous cunt like you on the internet so have a fuckn shit day, I'm out bitch....

Last edited:
it's never happened with any player of any note or pedigree you stupid fuck

you fuckn lemmings are speaking in pure hypotheticals and trying to pawn them off as facts lol

I'd rather smoother my balls in honey and go sit bare assed on fire ant hill than go back and forth with a cancerous cunt like you on the internet so have a fuckn shit day, I'm out bitch....

tough-guy.jpg

"Hello everyone....Im Mad Yid.......Mad...hehe....watch me swear online!
I want to be like Sammyspurs"

No because it was Real Madrid who went in for him. If Real Madrid go in for a player, they usually get them. The only thing the selling team can do is try and increase the asking price. That's it. And we done pretty well in that regard. I believe we got £40m more than Bale is actually work and Levy should be credited for that.

Comparisons to Liverpool not selling Suarez are silly and not well thought out at all. Firstly, the team that wanted to buy Suarez weren't willing to pay more than £40m which is not his real worth in the market. Secondly, that team doesn't have the brand or attractability of a team like Madrid so Suarez didn't push for the move. Finally, Liverpool are financially much stronger than us and were able to placate Suarez with a £200k per week contract soon after the window closed.

If anyone is stupid enough, try and explain to me how both situations are remotely similar.

Suarez publically pushed for the move and threw a massive tantrum for all too see lol

sure Madrid are massive but the situations are similar in the sense that both players very much wanted to leave and Suarez was very public in his desires so how you can make this shit up is laughable "Suarez didn't push for the move" :leaveityeah:

Liverpool handled themselves like a proper football club with ambition. Levy did what he always does. Anyway I'm done on the subject as it's history now and people will remember it how they want making shit up like Suarez not pushing for the move lol what the fuck ever or Real Madrid being able to do what they want regardless of rules and laws. There's plenty of similarities between the 2 situations if you're not a close minded blind fuck.

Suarez publically pushed for the move and threw a massive tantrum for all too see lol

sure Madrid are massive but the situations are similar in the sense that both players very much wanted to leave and Suarez was very public in his desires so how you can make this shit up is laughable "Suarez didn't push for the move" :leaveityeah:

Liverpool handled themselves like a proper football club with ambition. Levy did what he always does. Anyway I'm done on the subject as it's history now and people will remember it how they want making shit up like Suarez not pushing for the move lol what the fuck ever or Real Madrid being able to do what they want regardless of rules and laws. There's plenty of similarities between the 2 situations if you're not a close minded blind fuck.
He didn't properly push for the move at all. He didn't do anything remotely similar to what Bale did (or what other players have in the past). He didn't go on strike, he didn't hand in a transfer request (which Bale would've if we tried to stop him), he didn't get lawyers involved when him and his agent believed there was a release clause in his contract. Suarez's attempts to leave were extremely pathetic and revolved around a terrible media campaign that ultimately wouldn't back him because he's a racist cannibal.

Liverpool didn't do anything special at all. They were never forced into making a decision like we were with Bale. They never received an outrageous bid like we did. But it is clear that you lack any knowledge of how the Suarez transfer saga went down and therefore you are ill-equipped to debate such a matter.

Do you know how Real Madrid function? Do you actually have any knowledge of their dealings with Madrid's council or the fact that they receive illegal state aid? What about their and Barca's embarrassing practice of hogging the vast majority of the TV money in Spain? Again it is clear that you don't know what you're talking about and haven't done your research. But let's just shit on Levy because fuck logic.

The irony of you calling me a "close-minded blind fuck" is pretty funny to be fair.

I was thinking yes at first, just because Liverpool did it. But the reality is a player can buy themselves out of a contract if they want (with help from RM), and you can even take these things to court. Employment law would never side with the club trying to keep someone in there team.

There are many differences between the two situations. I could count 46 million of them for starters..

Last edited:
Chelsea offer £40m for Modric, turned down.
Arse offer £40m for Suarez, turned down.

Tell me again how these are different?

I'll say it again - Liverpool turned down £40m for Suarez and he stayed put for the season, just like how Levy turned down £40m for Modric when Chelsea bid and he stayed put for the season.

Again, what's the difference? Why are Liverpool amazing and Levy's a pushover when they did the exact same thing under the same circumstances?

He didn't properly push for the move at all. He didn't do anything remotely similar to what Bale did (or what other players have in the past). He didn't go on strike, he didn't hand in a transfer request (which Bale would've if we tried to stop him), he didn't get lawyers involved when him and his agent believed there was a release clause in his contract. Suarez's attempts to leave were extremely pathetic and revolved around a terrible media campaign that ultimately wouldn't back him because he's a racist cannibal.

Liverpool didn't do anything special at all. They were never forced into making a decision like we were with Bale. They never received an outrageous bid like we did. But it is clear that you lack any knowledge of how the Suarez transfer saga went down and therefore you are ill-equipped to debate such a matter.

Do you know how Real Madrid function? Do you actually have any knowledge of their dealings with Madrid's council or the fact that they receive illegal state aid? What about their and Barca's embarrassing practice of hogging the vast majority of the TV money in Spain? Again it is clear that you don't know what you're talking about and haven't done your research. But let's just shit on Levy because fuck logic.

The irony of you calling me a "close-minded blind fuck" is pretty funny to be fair.

Some of you lot live in a fuckn fantasy world and yes you very much are a close minded fuck. You think you have some special inside knowledge on things when in reality you're just another stupid cunt in a long line of stupid cunts on the internet who thinks he knows more than he actually does. Levy sells for top dollar that's what he does but he very much does have the power in contractual situations. Bale wouldn't of had a leg to stand on in any court of law if THFCs lawyers we any fuckin good at all. Anyway I've wasted enough of my time interacting with another stupid cunt on the internet so go fuck yourself and think what ya want wanker.

I'll say it again - Liverpool turned down £40m for Suarez and he stayed put for the season, just like how Levy turned down £40m for Modric when Chelsea bid and he stayed put for the season.

Again, what's the difference? Why are Liverpool amazing and Levy's a pushover when they did the exact same thing under the same circumstances?

It's not really Liverpool being amazing as a whole it's Henry has come in and appears to be pretty fuckn good at this whole running a footy club thing lol. He's made alot of smart decisions and learned from his mistakes sharpish. He backed Rodgers through tough times last season and fully backed his manager letting him dump Suarez in the reserves until he made a public apology because he was acting the cunt and under contract. In contrast Levy has been selling our best players season after season and cunting off managers left right and center all in the grand quest of building a stadium I guess or making a massive fucking profit but for the life of me I can't figure out why he didn't sell to the russian cunt. Maybe he just likes this shit and makes a nice little salary.

Last edited:
when the fuck has any of that ever happened in the EPL or any top league for that matter?

fuck off, you lot do spout some fuckn bollox

Why do you think it has never happened? It hasn't happened because you can't force someone (contract or not) to stay somewhere against their will. I even agree with Adrian Durham on this (and I usually disagree with everything he says). The whole purpose of the contract is not to secure a players services for the exact length of the contract, it is to offer the player some incredible salary for a certain amount of time but at the same time protect the club by giving them the power to negotiate a higher transfer fee based on the time left to run on his contract.

Even in Suarez situation, Liverpool cannot force him to stay, but, now that he has a deal for 'x' years at that salary it will make the buying price that much higher (300k p/w x 'X' years higher).

You are naive if you think we could have forced him to stay.

Fryer Fryer
didn't suarez push for a move though and get denied?
I think for me the reason we couldn't hold on to bale was A. he wanted to go and b. our valuation was met.
I think if the latter does not happen its possible to hold onto a player even though they wish otherwise

Fryer Fryer
didn't suarez push for a move though and get denied?
I think for me the reason we couldn't hold on to bale was A. he wanted to go and b. our valuation was met.
I think if the latter does not happen its possible to hold onto a player even though they wish otherwise

Yes but I think as you say the key is whether the valuation is met. If it isn't then I guess you are entitled to hold on to that player, though it won't benefit the seller, buyer, player or even the agent, which is why realistically these things sort themselves out either with improved contracts or transfers.

Employment law is a funny thing, it rarely favours the employer these days, if things do get taken to court the employee usually ends up the one walking away with the win.

I hate to interrupt, but I believe a club were willing to pay more than £40m for suarez

£40,000,001.00 to be exact
6a00e55007aa1a88340168e5f7f9a3970c-pi

Wenger could have bought off another vietnamese family with that pound coin, it makes a BIG difference to him

Employment law is a funny thing, it rarely favours the employer these days, if things do get taken to court the employee usually ends up the one walking away with the win.
Not entirely true. As with everything you still need to have a case to succeed.

Plus, if there is a contract then you are entitled to hold someone to it.

The reality in all of this is that football is as much about politics and asset trading as it is contracts, which is why it's distinctly different from a standard employment situation. Mad Yid was right in so far as we could, in theory, hold players to their contracts. If they entirely refused to perform, which is unlikely, then it would allow us to fine the player his wages for the continued striking period and, possibly, allow us to declare breach of contract. Where or not this, in turn, would allow us to sue the player in due course for the value of his contract if the non-performance persisted is something you'd have to ask a sports lawyer experienced in this field. But, suffice it to say, legally we could hold a player to the contract.

But football is a business. Players know this, agents know this and clubs know this. The value of a contract has to balanced against transfer value. When offered an amount of money that far exceeds the value of the contract a club has to weigh up the cost of retaining a potentially unhappy player over a set number of years, during which loss of form and injury could occur, against the interests of the club and how the club would benefit from such a huge influx of funds, especially in an unprecedented situation like Bale's.

On top of this is the political game in which, despite not having the final say, players and agents can use the press to pile the pressure on clubs to give over to their desired wish.

So, yes the final decision may lay with the club, but it is not nearly as simple as holding someone to their contract and walking away. In my opinion, Levy saw an absurdly high transfer fee for a player at the top of his game, and took the view that the money would better reinvested in players who wanted to play for the club (as it stood at the time) than trying to risk keeping a player whose value, form and fitness might drop. Not an easy decision to make and very convenient for fans and the likes of Sherwood to claim in hindsight that it was a mistake, but had even half those seven new players come good last year I don't think anybody would be moaning about Bale. Instead they would be hailing Levy's wise move.

In my opinion, Levy saw an absurdly high transfer fee for a player at the top of his game, and took the view that the money would better reinvested in players who wanted to play for the club (as it stood at the time) than trying to risk keeping a player whose value, form and fitness might drop. Not an easy decision to make and very convenient for fans and the likes of Sherwood to claim in hindsight that it was a mistake, but had even half those seven new players come good last year I don't think anybody would be moaning about Bale. Instead they would be hailing Levy's wise move.

Totally agree with that, the question should not be 'could' we have held on to Bale, but 'should' we have held on to Bale. As good as he was, he wouldn't have had the same impact had he been forced to stay and we would be in the same situation as this year but without the 7 new players.

Also, put it this way, if my current employer said I couldn't leave, I'd like to see them try to make me stay....There's a million things I could do to get out of this job without landing myself with a fine.

Some of you lot live in a fuckn fantasy world and yes you very much are a close minded fuck. You think you have some special inside knowledge on things when in reality you're just another stupid cunt in a long line of stupid cunts on the internet who thinks he knows more than he actually does. Levy sells for top dollar that's what he does but he very much does have the power in contractual situations. Bale wouldn't of had a leg to stand on in any court of law if THFCs lawyers we any fuckin good at all. Anyway I've wasted enough of my time interacting with another stupid cunt on the internet so go fuck yourself and think what ya want wanker.
Great to see you've completely lost your temper because you've had your pants pulled down. I've exposed your complete lack of knowledge and therefore you have tried to devolve the debate into a swearing match.

My information doesn't have anything to do with inside knowledge as all of it is freely available to find on the internet because of how well documented each situation is.

The player always has the power in football. Never the football team. You'd do well to remember that before throwing another tantrum.

You'd have to be brain dead to reject £85m for Gareth Bale. He is not worth that at all. If Madrid had bid £60m for Suarez last summer, John Henry would've driven Suarez to Madrid himself.

It's clear that you don't seem to understand how the transfer market works. You don't appreciate how much power the player has in modern football and you don't seem to understand that football is a business and selling a player for more than double his value is seen as a smart move.

Of course not. Like it or not, Bale and Modric are world class players. Tottenham have yet to establish themselves as a top 4 club in the champions league every season. Thats what it all comes down to.

The only comparison between Bale and Suarez is that they were both by far the best players at their respective clubs. When Real go in there isn't much you can do. Slag Man U off for selling Ronaldo, slag Barca off for selling Ronaldo/Figo, if Real went in for Suarez instead of Bale he'd of gone. End of.

Back
Top Bottom