Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Djed Spence (Genoa)​

Djed Spence maintained his status as Genoa's lucky charm as they won 2-0 at home against Udinese in Serie A on Saturday.

The 23-year-old came off the bench for the final 12 minutes of the match and having started three games when he first arrived in Italy, Spence now has three wins and a draw to his name in the four matches he's appeared in. In contrast, Genoa have lost or drawn the two games in which he was an unused sub.

Spence spoke to La Gazzetta dello Sport in an interview this month and he was asked about his time at Tottenham and why it has not worked out for him.

"This is football, I couldn't explain the reasons. What's certain is that when you don't play it's difficult to demonstrate your value," he said. "There's no point in asking too many questions. But I believe that even in difficulty there's always something to learn. Whichever coach you are, it makes you richer inside."

He is enjoying life in Genoa, saying: "I knew they had already been looking for me last summer. Now, the right conditions were there to close the operation. I'm satisfied. It's an important opportunity. I hope that this can be the beginning of a long journey in a club that is growing.

"I found a nice team and a pleasant city. I settled in quickly. They supported me in everything. Everyone in the locker room has helped. There's a nice atmosphere here. Soon I will start studying Italian. For now, I prefer to concentrate on football."

Soon he will start to learn Italian? How is he spending his down time?
I believe Ndombele could not be bothered to learn English or am I libelling him?

Djed Spence (Genoa)​

Djed Spence maintained his status as Genoa's lucky charm as they won 2-0 at home against Udinese in Serie A on Saturday.

The 23-year-old came off the bench for the final 12 minutes of the match and having started three games when he first arrived in Italy, Spence now has three wins and a draw to his name in the four matches he's appeared in. In contrast, Genoa have lost or drawn the two games in which he was an unused sub.

Spence spoke to La Gazzetta dello Sport in an interview this month and he was asked about his time at Tottenham and why it has not worked out for him.

"This is football, I couldn't explain the reasons. What's certain is that when you don't play it's difficult to demonstrate your value," he said. "There's no point in asking too many questions. But I believe that even in difficulty there's always something to learn. Whichever coach you are, it makes you richer inside."

He is enjoying life in Genoa, saying: "I knew they had already been looking for me last summer. Now, the right conditions were there to close the operation. I'm satisfied. It's an important opportunity. I hope that this can be the beginning of a long journey in a club that is growing.

"I found a nice team and a pleasant city. I settled in quickly. They supported me in everything. Everyone in the locker room has helped. There's a nice atmosphere here. Soon I will start studying Italian. For now, I prefer to concentrate on football."

Soon he will start to learn Italian? How is he spending his down time?
I believe Ndombele could not be bothered to learn English or am I libelling him?
Good for him.

Time to grow up, son.

Wish him the best.

Last edited:
On the bench again tonight.

Ta. I have it on in the background so if he comes on I'll give an update.

61 mins: Our boy comes on at RWB as Genoa are 2-1 at Inter.

Finito la musica.

Spence played ok. No better or worse than the guy he replaced. Some observations:

Early on in his cameo he took his man on at the edge of the box but dribbled it out of play. Nice to see him take on a man though.
He walked around a lot. Looks like he is tired but could be just trying to conserve energy.
Something I noticed last game he played in that his mates don't like passing to him. They would go to play a ball out wide, see it was him, then turn back the other way. A bit like Udogie with Werner sometimes.
He got into a good position on the end of a cross and a team mate who was off side stole the header from him and Spence had a tantrum at him over it.

Last edited:
I rate this quote and if he gets his attitude sorted, he has alot of tools.

There must be some reason Ange isn't keen though. If it's just attitude then Spence can fix that. If it's about something technical or tactical understanding, maybe Ange isn't likely to show the patience if he's also had a shit attitude in the past.
Attitude problems are not "just" - and Angelos can't fix every attitude problem. Which is why Genova has a buying option (for less than Spurs paid for Spence).
He's turning 24 this summer, so should have sorted out his attitude problems already.

Attitude problems are not "just" - and Angelos can't fix every attitude problem. Which is why Genova has a buying option (for less than Spurs paid for Spence).
He's turning 24 this summer, so should have sorted out his attitude problems already.
They are Djed's to fix and only his IMO.

If he's at Genoa with a cheap buy option it's because Ange doesn't see him as part of the plan long term. If Genoa don't take up the option it's because he hasn't showed the attitude and performance they want. How does he turn that around and show Ange what he can do?

There must be some reason Ange isn't keen though. If it's just attitude then Spence can fix that. If it's about something technical or tactical understanding, maybe Ange isn't likely to show the patience if he's also had a shit attitude in the past.
It's not just attitude.

His defensive positioning is absolutely terrible and is terrible for the shape of any team he'll play in, and he isn't talented enough to play in a more attacking position like the wing.

It's the same thing which happened with his last loan "oh look how exciting he can be, they love him over there!", then after the manager catches on that he's absolutely uncoachable he'll just fall off.

The reguilon phenomenon.

tbh I think it was a club decision. Reguillons quotes eluded to it when he said Ange said he's in his plans and the next day he was shipped off.

tbh I think it was a club decision. Reguillons quotes eluded to it when he said Ange said he's in his plans and the next day he was shipped off.

I think Reg might have just been talking waffle.

(If a player is in Ange's plans then why the hell would they club ship him out to a rival on loan????)

He was crap in pre season and by my reckoning is just saying desperate stuff in the media cos he's feeling 'stuck on the outside looking in' at 3 of his last clubs(*); soon to be 4.... Seems to be a massive case of make or break for him at Brentford (and even then Henry would oust him once he returns).

........Sounds a bit like Djed come to think of it. Why wouldn't he say these things if it's not going well at Genoa?

Both seem to lack a bit of self awareness and whilst (perhaps) for different reason; relative obscurity beckons.

Last edited:
It's not just attitude.

His defensive positioning is absolutely terrible and is terrible for the shape of any team he'll play in, and he isn't talented enough to play in a more attacking position like the wing.

It's the same thing which happened with his last loan "oh look how exciting he can be, they love him over there!", then after the manager catches on that he's absolutely uncoachable he'll just fall off.

The reguilon phenomenon.

As much as I like the idea of DJed turning it around, there’s probably a bunch of reasons why it’s not worked

Back
Top Bottom