Dave Mackay RIP

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I mention Dave Mackay in a post about meeting Martin Jol yesterday:
["eddiepunch, post: 740631, member: 2630"]In early 2008 I passed an ATM in Freiburg in the Black Forest. I thought the guy using it looked a bit like Martin Jol. He was with his extended family (nearly all women). At the traffic light I asked him if he was Martin Jol and he said he was. Then he asked why I asked. "I was born in London and my first ever hero in 1960 was Danny Blanchflower" "Oh" he said and named the entire Spurs double squad and started on about Dave Mackay. That quite suprised me. I said that although that it nice to meet him she should actually still be in N17 training the squad. "Oh, that's very nice of you to say so" he replied and gave me a HUGE Martin Jol bear hug. I even got his autograph, at my age.]

I saw him playing at the Lane many times in 1967/68 and I will never forget him giving Jimmy Greaves a proper bollocking for shooting in the area instead of crossing the ball onto his head. Spurs were 4-1 at the time but it didn't matter to Dave Mackay. Along with Alan Gilzean, they made a very tough pair who never backed out of hard tackles or confrontations. George Best discribed him as "hardest man I have ever played against". I remember Spurs playing Man U three times in ten days that year. Just thirteen years old at the time and he made such an impression on me. - RIP Legend and School Boy Hero.

Last edited:
Him in his 20s

Dave_Mackay.jpg
250016833.jpg

- close enough

When I see players like this leave us, and I'll probably add that I don't just feel this way about club legends like Mackay, but also other club's players of his generation, I feel like the golden age of football is leaving us. A time when players were just regular blokes on not so special wages, when club weren't commercial businesses, when fans were loyal and when winning something not only felt like a true achievement, but came at a time when most clubs had a much fairer chance to compete. It's a time when phrases like "the beautiful game" and "the magic of the FA Cup" weren't just meaningless media taglines.

Plus, as Spurs fan, no greater level of legend status can be afforded to the players who fought and won the double. RIP Dave.

RIP to one of the true greats. Never saw him play but from my very first days supporting spurs my dad has always gone on about how good (and tough) he was.

And not forgetting the key role he played at Derby too under Clough.

I'm sure the club will give him a good send off on Wednesday. Could be the little boost we need to recover from the weekebd's disappointment

Heard a great Alan Mullery story this morning. It was Mackay's first game against Spurs after he had signed for Derby. Mullers went to shake the hand of the player who had been a team mate only months before, expecting a cheery greeting from the great man....only to be told to fuck off...

I am a Spurs fan, but first and foremost a Hearts fan. The Hearts family are absolutely gutted at this news. It is a day we have been dreading. What a player, what a man. One of the finest football players of all time. RIP Dave :-( .
"
“For as long as I can remember, all I wanted in my life, nothing else, was to play for Hearts, which is my dream team.
“And to play for Scotland. I had no ambition for anything else. Always Hearts.”

Dave Mackay.

Back
Top Bottom