Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

gibbs, I'm curious about your varying hypothesis and how you come to these conclusions. I have to ask, what position do you play in?
I don't think me claiming our wings are weak/porous is a deep discussion. The only people arguing against it are deep into denial due to arguments stemming months or years. They were rubbing one out on reports that he was one of the better players at Sunderland...have you seen them this season? It's like winning a beauty pageant in Newcastle.

I mean what is your evidence? Dinamo Tsibilsi goal? Of course he is better than them. We need a top 4 lb, not someone who dominates minnows like him and Townsend did.

If you want to get deep, a lot of denial for this style of wing play is a side effect of the Tottenham Way. In the prem era it has warped into losing with style, and some fans would rather watch keepie uppies from Townsend and they can't spot a solid spine and a well rounded formation. Even with West Ham kicking our ass due to overloading with tiny dancers, they still celebrate this style of player because it is like jangling a shiny thing in front of them. Tradition has fooled them into thinking this style of player is good: It's not. The old style of Spurs player had style and could score and create for fun. Just being easy on the eye is NOT the Tottenham way. There were a lot of hard bastards mixed in with the silky players.

I don't think me claiming our wings are weak/porous is a deep discussion. The only people arguing against it are deep into denial due to arguments stemming months or years. They were rubbing one out on reports that he was one of the better players at Sunderland...have you seen them this season? It's like winning a beauty pageant in Newcastle.

I mean what is your evidence? Dinamo Tsibilsi goal? Of course he is better than them. We need a top 4 lb, not someone who dominates minnows like him and Townsend did.

If you want to get deep, a lot of denial for this style of wing play is a side effect of the Tottenham Way. In the prem era it has warped into losing with style, and some fans would rather watch keepie uppies from Townsend and they can't spot a solid spine and a well rounded formation. Even with West Ham kicking our ass due to overloading with tiny dancers, they still celebrate this style of player because it is like jangling a shiny thing in front of them. Tradition has fooled them into thinking this style of player is good: It's not. The old style of Spurs player had style and could score and create for fun. Just being easy on the eye is NOT the Tottenham way. There were a lot of hard bastards mixed in with the silky players.
tbf, I'm not claiming he's the greatest, I am merely suggesting that he might not be as terrible as you make out. I am not in denial about anything, this season has the hallmarks of instability, brought about by change.

And as anyone who has played will tell you, when you change a system / personnel on a regular basis you won't get consistency out of the players. I think he has potential, he needs a commanding CB (as does the whole back line) who communicates (and he will listen to) which will help with positional play, he needs managing differently to how he is now and yes he may never fulfill that potential. But I would always rather give players time (over a few seasons rather than a few games) to at least try and fulfill that potential.

The reason for asking about your position is one of context and genuine curiosity.

Hrmmm... he's still only 23, can't have been that late? he was playing left back for us at 21...
The players you named all switched positions before turning pro, Carragher, Carrick, Lloris, David James were all strikers as kids. Now, Rose isn't even half as good as these players and as such will need to adjust, the system doesn't help him. Shouldn't be our first choice by any stretch of the imagination.

The players you named all switched positions before turning pro, Carragher, Carrick, Lloris, David James were all strikers as kids. Now, Rose isn't even half as good as these players and as such will need to adjust, the system doesn't help him. Shouldn't be our first choice by any stretch of the imagination.
as a Spurs fan, the strech of imagination concering wingbacks is really really large, i'm really struggling to find the last quality LB (BAE maybe) ... Lee, or did he play rb, i honestly cant even remember it.

as a Spurs fan, the strech of imagination concering wingbacks is really really large, i'm really struggling to find the last quality LB (BAE maybe) ... Lee, or did he play rb, i honestly cant even remember it.
BAE was quality but he fell off. At the age of 30, not sure he'll match the heights of 2009-2012.

It's a point made repeatedly but I really do think he just needs some assurance in front of him. He is so totally exposed at the moment that he spends the whole game living in constant fear of us losing the ball.

Even his crossing has suffered. We've seen before that he can put in really good balls, both with time and on the move, but recent games have seen him shank it high because he is putting too much on them. I think this is down to his fear that if his cross is cut out he will have to run the whole length of the pitch to cover it and is causing him to compensate by always putting the cross deep so it is on the other side of the pitch if he doesn't find his target and give himself time to recover.

We either need a more defensive full back on that side, someone who will sit deeper and act as cover, or play with a more defensive midfield. It's no surprise he wasn't getting caught out early in the season when our midfield was Capoue and Paulinho. He had the cover to go forward and know that our midfield would drop.

Rose more than anyone is being left exposed by Sherwood's farcical tactical system.

I haven't watched the game back yet but it seemed to me that Paulinho was covering the left side today and we looked a lot stronger for it. a lot more balance. Thought Rose was decent. I wasn't sure if having Fryers and Rose as our left side of defence would leave us a bit exposed but it seemed to work.

I haven't watched the game back yet but it seemed to me that Paulinho was covering the left side today and we looked a lot stronger for it. a lot more balance. Thought Rose was decent. I wasn't sure if having Fryers and Rose as our left side of defence would leave us a bit exposed but it seemed to work.

Definitely had one of his better games yesterday, helped Fryers out a couple of times when the ball was put over him... Still dont think hes the answer at LB but always happy to salute a good display

Agreed he had a better game so deserves credit but I won't let it gloss over the fact that he, along with naughton and Townsend are not starters. If the club believes we should be competing for top four we need look for better. Personally I think we could keep Naughton and Townsend happy with a bit of rotation but agin I think rose will feel he should be starting so if we could get a few quid as he's English he should be sold. When I saw the teams for Saturdays game there wasn't much difference in our back four compared to fulhams (kaboul excluded) and it was frightening. Obviously injuries have highlighted a weakened area but that was Ropey.
The defence as a whole needs work, in my opinion Lloris has been a revelation but because of him we play a particular style with our high line and it's killed us on so many occasions against teams with pace or cloggers who just stick the ball over the top. Lloris is that good that our defence/new defenders need to be adapted/acquired to play to his strengths. Because Rose gets caught out of position or opposition get round the back him on a consistent basis (be that poor cover in front or the fact he's crap) teams target our left to get balls into the box, unfortunately Dawson and kaboul aren't as good facing their own goal again highlighting our weaknesses. Jan looks like he don't give a toss and chriches is just coming back from injury . . . . Add to that Timmy being tactically inept and . . . .
I've lost track of where I was going with this and it's turned into a mild rant so I won't flower it up, Rose is dogshit.

People complain about Rose, but we could do a lot worse
w3MIarH.gif

I don't blame Rose for pushing Cameron. Dirty premeditated challenge on the back of the fans booing Rose for being the victim of another dirty tackle. Stoke cunts.

Great to seem him score.

Has had a really rocky season. Being played in a position he clearly isn't suited to doesn't help, I suppose. I hope he gets a season to fight for a midfield role when we bring in a new LB this summer.

I've been critical of Danny R this season but respect is due for yesterday's performance.

Apart from the highlighted incidents, he put up with a lot of shit and played well. Can't be easy when you're getting rinsed by the home fans and a fair few of your own supporters on forums etc.

Well done Danny.

Great to seem him score.

Has had a really rocky season. Being played in a position he clearly isn't suited to doesn't help, I suppose. I hope he gets a season to fight for a midfield role when we bring in a new LB this summer.

What do you disagree with CrestOfAWave CrestOfAWave ? That it's great to see him score, that he isn't a fullback or that he deserves a decent chance in midfield?

:)

Back
Top Bottom