Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

See John's original post about interpretation of progression.

He's had over 6,000 of them, finding the original seems like more work than I'd like to do. :pochsmirk:

The claim no one is refuting is that we were shit in the late 90's. There is a specific age cohort - who because of internet dynamics is probably the plurality on this forum - for whom those teams were formative in defining what Spurs were as a club. But that era sticks out like a sore thumb from the broader history of the club both before and after, and the reasons for those struggles cannot reasonably be pegged as "Tottenham Hotspur is inherently not big/strong enough of a club".

I think the real operative question here is how much harm to the club's competitiveness do good works in building the strength of the club absolve and forgive? John and I may disagree somewhat on how much goodwill ENIC have built up, but it seems we both think the tolerance for cynical, profit-hoarding management in the past, in the present, in the future, after we win the league ten times in a row, ever, is self-evidently "zero". And we're both a bit mystified with the way that many fans have far more patience and understanding for the suits than for players and managers who give the blood sweat and tears to play the games.

I believe he was serious about it if they had let us knock the OS down and build a new stadium. It was about the infrastructure. We were not in for the existing stadium though.
I also believe the added bonus of us being in for OS was that it forced Haringey Council's hand.
Yes I think that was clear in his bid. And with Levy being a shrewd operator it's not too much of a stretch to think that there was an added bonus to be had in terms of Haringey Council; in fact I'd be amazed if he didn't think of that. However, I think had we won the bid, which I believe he was serious about doing (there's no real evidence to the contrary, and spying on West Ham's bid is pretty good evidence that it was serious) we would have moved there, unless a mass supporter movement had prevented it. Which, in my mind, and to those who share my view on the Tottenham/North London issue, is pretty unforgivable.

But I will freely admit that in other areas, Levy has on the whole been good, or even very good, for the club.

He's had over 6,000 of them, finding the original seems like more work than I'd like to do. :pochsmirk:

The claim no one is refuting is that we were shit in the late 90's. There is a specific age cohort - who because of internet dynamics is probably the plurality on this forum - for whom those teams were formative in defining what Spurs were as a club. But that era sticks out like a sore thumb from the broader history of the club both before and after, and the reasons for those struggles cannot reasonably be pegged as "Tottenham Hotspur is inherently not big/strong enough of a club".

I think the real operative question here is how much harm to the club's competitiveness do good works in building the strength of the club absolve and forgive? John and I may disagree somewhat on how much goodwill ENIC have built up, but it seems we both think the tolerance for cynical, profit-hoarding management in the past, in the present, in the future, after we win the league ten times in a row, ever, is self-evidently "zero". And we're both a bit mystified with the way that many fans have far more patience and understanding for the suits than for players and managers who give the blood sweat and tears to play the games.
Just use the search bar. Will take ten seconds.

That time period is relevant because it was immediately before ENIC took over.

Poch doesnt want the domestics and we're more than good enough to win them, without huge investment.

So that basically means people are demanding the title and CL. Imagine that....imagine that this team, with its shit back up and championship midfield and full backs have reached the CL quarters, sit 3rd in the table and havent played a home game in two years.

And its all just shit to some

Poch doesnt want the domestics and we're more than good enough to win them, without huge investment.

So that basically means people are demanding the title and CL. Imagine that....imagine that this team, with its shit back up and championship midfield and full backs have reached the CL quarters, sit 3rd in the table and havent played a home game in two years.

You missed out over the hill goal keeper...

There is no discussion to have over ENIC/Levy. Get into that stadium for that CL quarters and tell me they haven't done a good job. People want success without working for it, if you want that kindly f*ck off to Chelsea/City and you can join Twitter and debate Fan accounts that have never been to a footy game in their life.

That depends on how many points you are above the relegation zone.
But as I say, I'll research and come back with the findings.
Either way, I'm confident it'll prove beyond any doubt how far we've come under Levy and ENIC.

I thought we were questioning the assertion that we were serial relegation battlers before Levy rocked up, not how far we've come?

tenor.gif

I've read the forum with great interest. I can see both the good and bad, the negatives and the positives. There's some well argued points from those who really understand the game.
I have just 2 points in my mind. We have "almost" been there for a few years. We need an extra push or effort to get us over the line and I think we need desperately to open the wallet and buy a CM., A really fast W. B. And change the goalkeeper. I thought Hugo was fantastic at Dortmund but it's 1 game in 10 he can produce. The other thing that puzzles me is the belief that somehow the new stadium will mysteriously produce better football. It won't. We need the team we almost are. Come on Levy. Spend some money, it's not yours anyway, and get us over the winning line.

Daniel Levy is one of us he’s a yid and yes literally he is I know but a Tottenham fan he’s doing what he thinks/hopes is the best for our/his club he’s not going to damage it ffs! Yes he’ll make decisions that people won’t agree with but if somebody else was in his position they’d do the same make decisions that people won’t agree with that’s life! But at least he’s visible and not some faceless yank,Arab or Russian gangster that’s got a football team as a play thing.

I've read the forum with great interest. I can see both the good and bad, the negatives and the positives. There's some well argued points from those who really understand the game.
I have just 2 points in my mind. We have "almost" been there for a few years. We need an extra push or effort to get us over the line and I think we need desperately to open the wallet and buy a CM., A really fast W. B. And change the goalkeeper. I thought Hugo was fantastic at Dortmund but it's 1 game in 10 he can produce. The other thing that puzzles me is the belief that somehow the new stadium will mysteriously produce better football. It won't. We need the team we almost are. Come on Levy. Spend some money, it's not yours anyway, and get us over the winning line.
I agree with most of what you are saying. However I do think the new stadium will have a positive impact on the team. Think about our last season at white heart lane we were unstoppable at home, do not under estimate the impact of having our fans back where they belong.

I don't believe we will magically become a title winning side, there are loads of factors that go in to us improving. I just think that the stadium is one of them, the players and the staff are as sick of Wembley as the fans are. Being back in N17 in a stadium we can call home is not something to take lightly. Thank god it looks like we will have the end of this season to bed in there.

Can someone please tell me one thing Levy has done, just one? since he has been in control of this club that has somehow fired up a group of people to the level of detest they have for the guy. Please keep the reply’s short and to the point, remember I’m only looking for one good reason? And let’s not count this moving to Stafford crap as there is absolutely no concrete facts to support Levy’s true agenda on that one.
So let’s have it??

Can someone please tell me one thing Levy has done, just one? since he has been in control of this club that has somehow fired up a group of people to the level of detest they have for the guy. Please keep the reply’s short and to the point, remember I’m only looking for one good reason? And let’s not count this moving to Stafford crap as there is absolutely no concrete facts to support Levy’s true agenda on that one.
So let’s have it??
Erm...AIA in red on the home kit that did irk a few people! :levyeyes:

It was actually Poch who said we should be winning the PL or CL as the rest are essentially beneath us - not the fans.

And strictly speaking we’re winning neither so in a way Poch is failing his own objectives. Which is why I find his comments about domestic cups absurd

Last edited:
Personally I cannot trust levy has the club as his priority, I think his main interest is not football it's money..
He has done a lot of weird things, from proclaiming he wants to win trophies and get into the champions league yet when we sneak in for the first time he signs Ryan Nelson and saha...what !!!!
I'm still shocked by that now I can see it written out in front of me even after all this time. He also tried to move us to that Olympic stadium shit hole...
He also has never been held accountable for any of the shit decisions he has made he just seems to get a free pass..
That's not even mentioning the last two years of inactivity. We all know that standing still in football is actually going backwards, we had an unbelievable chance to push on with the advantage we had over Liverpool, Chelsea etc over the last few years but we have done nothing literally...and don't start about the stadium, any decent chairman would have seen our potential and knew they needed to build this stadium he is not a genius or even a tottenham supporter in my opinion

Personally I cannot trust levy has the club as his priority, I think his main interest is not football it's money..
He has done a lot of weird things, from proclaiming he wants to win trophies and get into the champions league yet when we sneak in for the first time he signs Ryan Nelson and saha...what !!!!
I'm still shocked by that now I can see it written out in front of me even after all this time. He also tried to move us to that Olympic stadium shit hole...
He also has never been held accountable for any of the shit decisions he has made he just seems to get a free pass..
That's not even mentioning the last two years of inactivity. We all know that standing still in football is actually going backwards, we had an unbelievable chance to push on with the advantage we had over Liverpool, Chelsea etc over the last few years but we have done nothing literally...and don't start about the stadium, any decent chairman would have seen our potential and knew they needed to build this stadium he is not a genius or even a tottenham supporter in my opinion
Obviously you're entitled to your feelings, but I'd suggest that Levy being in it for the money and the club's success are not mutually exclusive.

This idea runs that him and Lewis are ramping up the value to cash in.

That means we need to be as attractive as possible for prospective buyers.

Big profile
CL consistency
High league placing
Quality players
Quality stadium

We have all that.

I appreciate we haven't invested in the team and that's not great. But then Madrid and Barcelona are upgrading their stadia and to different degree their spending has been limited.

I remember the 90s and 00s. It was horrible.

Genuinely I feel the last 5 years have saved us from being cast adrift. We weren't Chelsea or Woolwich, we were in Evertons league.

They missed the boat, we didn't.

There's a top 6 now not a top 4, and that's because City bought their way and we built our way in.

One route is sustainable, and moderately ethical. The other IMO isn't.

Not trusting Harry Redknapp with a shitload of money to spend on transfers isn't a bad thing lets be honest.

The transfer inactivity the last two windows I think everyone finds strange but Poch is also involved in that conversation imo and our inability to offload the players we wanted to to raise more cash/HG quota etc is another stumbling block.
I think Poch has very exact targets in mind and if he can't get them he won't sign anyone-theres def more to this story than just Levy 'not getting the chequebook out'.
We don't and cannot operate in the same financial league as Chelsea liverpool united and city esp with a new shiny stadium and higher wage structure already put in place to keep our stars. Until we get in there and start making more revenue for a cupla years to bridge that gap I don't see us doing 100 million pound transfers and bringing in world class talent all over the pitch tbqh.
Would you prefer we had a different chairman then?

Back
Top Bottom