Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

so it is levys fault either way as he should have sacked him sooner!!.. & they couldn't have been that wise cos we threw away a champions league place which is the holy grail it seems these days.

I think the problem is summarised in the following (based on info available) situation...

a) Harry was in bed with the media, so if he wasn't allowed to sign someone we'd know about it as he'd be griping at spurs lodge to sky sports news whilst hanging out the range rover.
b) Harry sold a striker (Pav) during that window, seemingly saying we didn't need one - if you say we needed a good one, well that's proven to be hard to judge and a potentially expensive mistake. Piennar was also allowed to go on loan
c) Harry brought in Saha and Nelson, with that seemingly because he has a penchant for the Oldies (insert Friedel and Gallas here too, with Scotty, Gudjohnsen and however else he wanted to sign but failed to like Joe Cole). I don't think this was a "because we had no budget" situation:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/feb/02/tottehnham-louis-saha-ryan-nelsen
d) If you wanted Harry to be given money to buy a player, consider from the board's point of view that we'd just loaned back a flop harry bought, and add to that his long list of "squad players" who often didn't ever make an appearance, flopped, or failed 'yoofs' - Falque, Coulibaly, Ceballos, Khumalo, Kranjcar, Palacios. I wouldn't have blamed the board if they didn't trust him to have money, but I doubt this was the issue at all based on his transfer history.

So, if you consider that not reinforcing was more the manager's decision (who certainly seemed to think Saha/Nelson was reinforcing), that's not Levy's fault really.

Looking at the 'should be have binned him off' situation, we were, what? 3rd in the league, 10pts clear of woolwich, looking pretty for guaranteed CL quals? If we sacked him then, I'm sure everyone (almost) would have had a fit - they mostly did when it happened in the summer. If he did it after the initial run of bad form and we finished 5th, the board would get the blame too.

I literally cannot see there having been a good outcome for the board at that time, besides forcing a new striker in - but who can/could you even get in Jan 2012's window that would be guaranteed to bring us form?

If you look at it from every angle, I can only see that ultimately the fault falls on Harry - he's there to sign the players (in his model) and motivate the players. In the end though, had Chelsea not won the CL, we wouldn't have been too arsed about that blip - it's all just crap circumstances that we can't really get around.

I think the problem is summarised in the following (based on info available) situation...

a) Harry was in bed with the media, so if he wasn't allowed to sign someone we'd know about it as he'd be griping at spurs lodge to sky sports news whilst hanging out the range rover.
b) Harry sold a striker (Pav) during that window, seemingly saying we didn't need one - if you say we needed a good one, well that's proven to be hard to judge and a potentially expensive mistake. Piennar was also allowed to go on loan
c) Harry brought in Saha and Nelson, with that seemingly because he has a penchant for the Oldies (insert Friedel and Gallas here too, with Scotty, Gudjohnsen and however else he wanted to sign but failed to like Joe Cole). I don't think this was a "because we had no budget" situation:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/feb/02/tottehnham-louis-saha-ryan-nelsen
d) If you wanted Harry to be given money to buy a player, consider from the board's point of view that we'd just loaned back a flop harry bought, and add to that his long list of "squad players" who often didn't ever make an appearance, flopped, or failed 'yoofs' - Falque, Coulibaly, Ceballos, Khumalo, Kranjcar, Palacios. I wouldn't have blamed the board if they didn't trust him to have money, but I doubt this was the issue at all based on his transfer history.

So, if you consider that not reinforcing was more the manager's decision (who certainly seemed to think Saha/Nelson was reinforcing), that's not Levy's fault really.

Looking at the 'should be have binned him off' situation, we were, what? 3rd in the league, 10pts clear of woolwich, looking pretty for guaranteed CL quals? If we sacked him then, I'm sure everyone (almost) would have had a fit - they mostly did when it happened in the summer. If he did it after the initial run of bad form and we finished 5th, the board would get the blame too.

I literally cannot see there having been a good outcome for the board at that time, besides forcing a new striker in - but who can/could you even get in Jan 2012's window that would be guaranteed to bring us form?

If you look at it from every angle, I can only see that ultimately the fault falls on Harry - he's there to sign the players (in his model) and motivate the players. In the end though, had Chelsea not won the CL, we wouldn't have been too arsed about that blip - it's all just crap circumstances that we can't really get around.

You mention Saha and Nelson quite a few times, no menion of him actually wanting Tevez and Cahill.

You mention Saha and Nelson quite a few times, no menion of him actually wanting Tevez and Cahill.

We couldn't get Tevez:
a) Because we already had one of City's expensive strikers on loan
b) Wages

And I doubt we'd ever get Cahill because we couldn't complete with Chelsea's reckless wage structure or CL football.

Harry Redknapp talked dross about every player that broke wind, the difference is which stories were sensationalised in the papers. Half the reason I think DL wanted rid was because Harry couldn't keep his mouth from flapping and it was upsetting every other club and ruining our inter-club relations (plus risking 'tapping up').

I don't think he was serious at all about Tevez or Cahill, hence no approach was made. I do not for one minute believe that he made any real effort at all to sign either.

We couldn't get Tevez:
a) Because we already had one of City's expensive strikers on loan
b) Wages

And I doubt we'd ever get Cahill because we couldn't complete with Chelsea's reckless wage structure or CL football.

Harry Redknapp talked dross about every player that broke wind, the difference is which stories were sensationalised in the papers. Half the reason I think DL wanted rid was because Harry couldn't keep his mouth from flapping and it was upsetting every other club and ruining our inter-club relations (plus risking 'tapping up').

I don't think he was serious at all about Tevez or Cahill, hence no approach was made. I do not for one minute believe that he made any real effort at all to sign either.
Levy spoke to city about tevez and we were in for cahill...

Regardless of that there were better players available than saha and nelsen

Levy spoke to city about tevez and we were in for cahill...

Regardless of that there were better players available than saha and nelsen

It thought it wasn't possible to get Tevez unless we got rid of Adebayor I think, something in the rules, but Harry said at the time

'I said to the chairman "can you get me Carlos Tevez?",' Redknapp said.

'Daniel made some enquiries, but it wasn't doable. If he could have done it, he would have.

'He (Levy) would have loved Tevez, but it wasn't possible because his wages are £200,000 a week. It's not possible at Tottenham to buy him.

'He is a fantastic player. When he puts a shirt on he doesn't stop running, working, he's enthusiastic, he can play and he can score goals.'

So at the end of the day, I think it shows that DL does as much as he can do - Harry should have been concentrating on better targets though and in the end, he signed Saha - who wasn't too bad for a while, but went stale.

So at the end of the day, I think it shows that DL does as much as he can do - Harry should have been concentrating on better targets though and in the end, he signed Saha - who wasn't too bad for a while, but went stale.

More a case of doing as little as he can,

Rivaldo, Eto, Rossi, Moutinho, Diego, Aguero, Villa the list is endless I could pretend to sign them too, would that make me a good chairman.

As for Saha, we needed a striker that summer not a bloke approaching the end of his career half way through it.

More a case of doing as little as he can,

Rivaldo, Eto, Rossi, Moutinho, Diego, Aguero, Villa the list is endless I could pretend to sign them too, would that make me a good chairman.

As for Saha, we needed a striker that summer not a bloke approaching the end of his career half way through it.

I think the context was about Harry not doing enough though, I don't blame Levy as it's obvious that we didn't really have any other real targets except the two players we didn't really have much chance of competing to sign.

Levy's pulled the rabbit out of the hat with signings in the past, best of all VdV, so I don't really have a negative opinion of the guy tbh

Takrn from Alex Fergusons autobiograpby
" but it ended up as a scrap with Daniel Levy, thr Tottenham chairman, whivh left us reluctant to reyurn to Spurs for players."

" you come off dizzy, you cant discyss both sides of the same issue with daniel. Its about him, and Tottenham, nothig more"

I love this.

" but it ended up as a scrap with Daniel Levy, thr Tottenham chairman, whivh left us reluctant to reyurn to Spurs for players."

" you come off dizzy, you cant discyss both sides of the same issue with daniel. Its about him, and Tottenham, nothig more"

I love this.
This is brilliant! True testament to him that even Ferguson found him a handful.

I love this.

Did Ferguson write this in a drunken state or was he still dizzy from the meeting with Levy?

I love this.
Respect for spelling "Tottenham" correctly, or did Ferguson write it in Gorbals dialect?

I love this.
You'd have thought someone would have proof-read it before going to print.

I love this.
Becuase of how Levy was in the Berbatov deal Man Utd didn't go for Modric

It is fair to say and we were happy when the board signed Ben Davies. A sensible player exchange that involved swapping Sigurdsson for the leftback. But our second and third transfers are a bit of a concern ,because we have not addressed the other priorities yet. In particular, the need for a left winger,centre back ,creative midfielder and striker.

Centre Back

So far we have Vertonghen, Chriches , Kaboul , Dawson and Eziekel . With two leftbacks in the squad we won't have to worry about playing Vertonghen out of position now, but what difference would it make to replace either one of Kaboul or Dawson with a strong technical third choice defender?

Yes, Dier might be the next 'ledley king' but he remains an unknown quantity and I honestly hope this is not our answer to replacing dawson or kaboul. He ( Dier) needs to be loaned out to an epl team where he gets 30 games a season.We willl be stretched this season like last but even more so since the europa league provides a possibly champions league spot. Lets not repeat last year ,playing Benfica with no recognised centre back because of injuries)

Left Winger
It can be argued that we could play Lamela, Townsend or Chadli there. But, I have to say the first two look better on the right. As for Chadli he lacks the pace and precision to provide passes in the final 3rd to Soldado. So this remains a priority, In fact . Bringing in an effective left winger could solve our soldado problem. Soldado is a poacher, who scores in the box ,90% of the time with his right foot, is it far fetched to believe a pacey left winger with technical ability could fnally unlock soldado's potential?

Central Creative Midfielder

Our central midfield assets consist of two defensive midfielders ( Capoue and Sandro) ,A box to box ( Paulinho) and Dembele who ..I don't know exactly what type of midfielder he is. So far I have been impressed with Capoue's passing but we still need someone deep and central who can thread passes from central midfield to our wingers and even strikers.

So far Capoue fits this mould ( but he errs more towards defensive responsabilities), Sandro is a good DM albeit with zero creative ability and vision, paulinho runs around like a headless chicken leaving us vulnerable in midfield ,while the £17m Dembele remains unfit since 2012.
Sherwood tried to use Bentaleb as the solution to our creative woes in central midfield ,it was a moderate success but saw us smacked around by the bigger sides.
I honestly believe a teams identity and style of play stems from midfield.schneiderlin is southamptons 'luka modric' not as creative ( but check his chance creation stats). It is absolutely instrumental we get him ( or someone similiar)

Striker
All the top sides have at least 3 good strikers. Way I see it at the moment we only have one proven Striker. Lukaku is gone,Origi gone.. the number of choices are running out this window. No , we aren't going to do a 'pompey' but why is our scouts so shit at finding a striker in the £10m range

Back
Top Bottom