Creating a Winning Mentality...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

WookieD

wharrgarbl 💫
...Important or no? Personally I think we may have missed a trick by breaking apart a successful group of players who were looking so likely to take honours this season.

I'm not against loaning players out, however, coming into the second half of the season our "young professionals" were looking at the prospect of becoming Europe's young darlings as well as dominating the newly formed Barclays U21 league. We are now out of the NextGen series (admitedly due in no small part to some individual dodgy goalkeeping) and have had our first wobble in the U21 Elite Group.

What does a winning mentality mean to a developing group of players? Are we right to send out our brightest to the lower tiers of English football and various, sometimes random, European locations. Or would it have been more beneficial in this particular instance to keep them all together and let them taste success?

I have to say, I really don't see the point in yet another Championship loan for Obika, he was the leading scorer for our U21 team and added a little seniority to the group. Then to make matters worse, we pretty much send the rest of the strike force out with him by losing Mason and Coulibaly.

Whilst I understand letting Townsend get Premiership experience, I'm a little less enthused about Falque, Mason and Coulibaly being sent away to Spain, France and Italy... Is that our admission that they won't make the English game and are now putting them in the shop window? Why on earth France for Mason? Has he even had a game out there yet?

As for Pritchard going to Peterborough, I'll not bother starting on that one seeing as I seem to be in a minority in thinking Darren Ferguson is a bit pants. I'll have to sit here and assume the club knows best. But what could have been a positive finish for this group of players, now runs the risk of ending completely flat for all but a handful of them if we aren't careful...

...So winning and winning mentality, should we be helping to develop it?

It's a good question; I have long wanted a serious reserve league and think it could well be a brilliant way for the team to grow together. If you look at how Barca (bear with me) young teams mature together they are so familiar with the style of play and player that the transition from reserve to first team is made as easy as possible.

But I have also thought it beneficial for young players to experience European football, so I am caught slightly between the idea of maintaining unity, and as you mention, a winning mentality and the chance to sample different training methods with focus on alternative key skills.

All that said, I would like to see players like Pritchard remain with us than Peterborough; Fergie Jnr isn't that great and their coaching set up won't be as good as ours.

Winning mentality is important, but its no good creating a false sense of the game either.

First team football in the lower leagues is a million miles away from reserve football, and that experience is just as important.

Mason went to France as he is considered a more technical player and AVB thought he'd do better in the French league than have the shit kicked out of him by Cloggers FC in the Championship!

Winning mentality is important, but its no good creating a false sense of the game either.

First team football in the lower leagues is a million miles away from reserve football, and that experience is just as important.
Well this is the thing, it isn't reserve football anymore. The Barclays U21 and NextGen are proper competitive competitions and it even gives the lads exposure to European playing styles, rather than the same football week in week out. Personally, for our technical players I see zero benefit in League 1/2 football, especially if they aren't getting time on the pitch as we have far superior training facilities, schedules and coaching staff. Like I say, with two trophies on the table and a full calendar of fixtures, I think they might be better suited staying put this season.

Mason went to France as he is considered a more technical player and AVB thought he'd do better in the French league than have the shit kicked out of him by Cloggers FC in the Championship!
I don't think he has played a single game. Don't see the benefit in that personally.

First team football is more important imo
That's if they get football Blanchflower. So many of these clubs are unstable, just look at Luongo, a couple games in and thick Mick McCarthy bowls in and benches him after pretty much all Ipswich fans agreeing he was one of their best players.

Pritchard has had minimal game time, Mason practically zero. I know Falque has had some rave reviews in Spain but I don't think Coulibaly is playing much... What's the point in that? We had a full calendar and the best possible facilities to develop in. Personally I don't think first team football is everything. Matching the correct loan to the correct player is everything or else it's just a waste of everyone's time and 6 months of developmental stagnation.

Tottenham Hotspur Fight Club, have it in the West Stand car park.
The first rule of THFC Fight Club is, you don't invite Carlito Brigante to Fight Club

The second rule of THFC Fight Club is, YOU DO NOT INVITE CARLITO BRIGANTE TO FIGHT CLUB...

...No offence Carlito, just don't want you to get blood on your lovely jacket.

Bring back the Football Combination League, and South-East Counties Leagues I say!!

It weren't broke, why fix it?

You can't argue that the premier league loans have been good. Look at Walker to Villa; he came back after that as one of the best right-backs in the league.

I hope the same works for Townsend, could be a proper result should Bale be converted permanently to central/up top.

I really hoped that we'd loan Carroll to Swansea as a Joe Allen replacement last summer.

Outside the prem, I think it's great value if they're 1st choice (although anyone over the age of 20 ought to be better than league 1 if they're ever going to make it with us) but the problem is a lot of teams understandably will put their loan players at the bottom of the pile in terms of priority of playing time. If its legal for us to do deals with these clubs where there are financial incentives for them playing our loanees then that should be explored.

Also, I believe Pritchard got an injury at Peterborough and therefore returned to us rather than not being picked

Back
Top Bottom