Chrisy Waddle says 3 at the back

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eriksen-sen-sen

If the legend says it, we should do it. [formation=352, lloris, Dier, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Lennon, Eriksen, Capoue, Chadli, Rose, Soldado, Adebayor][/formation]

Screen-Shot-2014-11-08-at-2.23.49-PM.png

3 at the back the last thing we should be doing.

Remove Rose and replace with Davies on left (a trial to confirm if he solidifies us in Prem).
Remove Kaboul from CB.

So that's Waddle and Hoddle who both say 3 at the back is the way forward! If you play Diamond Lights backwards they actually mention it.....

_71160289_focus4019872.png

Our full backs are either weak offensively or defensively, except Walker. Our strikers cant play up front alone. Our centre-backs are weak. Solution, 3-5-2 or 5-3-2. Whichever way you want to look at it
Pochettino already tries this. Capoue is supposed to drop back between the CBs when the fullbacks go forward. He's just not very good at it.

Amazing that a pundit would jump on a formation briefly fashionable formation post-World Cup and present it as a panacea.

The issues the team faces are not about the formation.

Our full backs are either weak offensively or defensively, except Walker. Our strikers cant play up front alone. Our centre-backs are weak. Solution, 3-5-2 or 5-3-2. Whichever way you want to look at it
I can't stand when people say our strikers can't play up front alone. Being alone has nothing to do with their struggles. It happens when Soldado and Ade play up front together too. The reason they get rarely get the ball when alone is because our midfielders move the ball so damn slowly. By the time our midfield looks up to pass it forward they've taken too much time and the strikers are already marked. If they got their head up and tried to play one touch passing our strikers would have a chance but right now only Soldado and Mason look like they want to do that.

A 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 (they're really the same thing) would be suicide. I would be willing to bet that Rose and Lennon would get caught up the pitch time and time again if they had to play there. Eriksen and Chadli would probably get caught up the pitch too meaning that it would be the 3 defender's and Capoue defending against counter attacks which isn't much different then normal. Then you got the problem of Lennon defending, which is the equivalent of a mosquito buzzing around you. He's just a pest and will never be capable of being an actual wingback. 3 defender's have never worked for a team before, it probably won't change with this group that's struggling.

I see your point. So how about trying an actual centre-back in there and play Capoue or Stambouli a little further forward.

I don't think it is a fashion thing for Waddle. I think it is a solution to the fact that our centre-backs are weak and we need 2 upfront.

Just a suggestion though, what do I know. I am only a slightly above average pub player. Waddle on the other hand was a footballing genius and usually pretty spot on as a pundit. Lets face it, what Poch is trying at the moment is a long way from working
If Waddle's suggestions were any good, he'd been in management.

The issues at the moment aren't formation-related, they're player-related. Indecisiveness and nonexistent communication between players won't be solved by a formation.

If the legend says it, we should do it. [formation=352, lloris, Dier, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Lennon, Eriksen, Capoue, Chadli, Rose, Soldado, Adebayor][/formation]
when our attack our defence only left 4 man,i'd love to put more ball winner in middle and wont use striker.
[formation=352, Hugo, Dier / Vlad, Kaboul / Fazio, Verts, Lennon, Benji / Bentaleb, Capoue, Mason, Rose, Lamela, Chadli ][/formation]
Vlad / Dier & Verts vs Speedy counter attaker,Kaboul / Fazio aerial duel
Duo benji / bentaleb & Capoue defending hole when duo wingbacks Rose Lennon attack
Mason,Lamela,& Chadli free role to attack.(based villa game mason can play as distributing mid,how if we use him as Lionel Mason?)
Lamela as kicker too if open play not worked.
Kane & Townsend in bench we need him if we lack of attacking player.
Just my opinion.

I think that except for Lloris, no player is really a guaranteed starter because we have been playing so badly. But here are a few options for how we could play the system [formation=352, Lloris, Dier/Vlad, Kaboul/Fazio, Vertonghen/Davies, Walker/Lennon, Eriksen/Paulinho, Capoue/ Stambouli, Chadli/Mason, Rose/Townsend, Soldado/Lamela, Kane/Adebayor][/formation]
You're all mad - totally likeable - but mad.

My understanding of Playing 3 at the back, one becomes a sweeper with two in front. There is only ever two forwards to stop. 5 across the middle becauce teams will push a player wide so cover is needed with two up front.

Back
Top Bottom