Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I actually like Eriksen in roles such as tonight where he goes under the radar and isn't in his best position. Wins the corner for the goal, grabs another assist out of nowhere and the rest of the team steal the show and the headlines.

So. What's up?

Just a slow start to a season following a World Cup and lack of pre-season? I remember Eriksen having a rather slow start to a previous season (Think it might have been 15/16) and there were calls for him being dropped before he turned it up a gear.

New position? He usually tends to play further forward (Though usually up and down due to his work rate) but with Poch opting for 3 at the back at times and a 433, Eriksen has been finding himself a lot deeper.

Contract issues? Probably the least likely, but I wonder if the whole contract situation is playing on his mind?

So. What's up?

A) Just a slow start to a season following a World Cup and lack of pre-season? I remember Eriksen having a rather slow start to a previous season (Think it might have been 15/16) and there were calls for him being dropped before he turned it up a gear.

B) New position? He usually tends to play further forward (Though usually up and down due to his work rate) but with Poch opting for 3 at the back at times and a 433, Eriksen has been finding himself a lot deeper.

C) Contract issues? Probably the least likely, but I wonder if the whole contract situation is playing on his mind?

A) ....We go through this every year with him. Someone usually shines in the interim... Lucas 18/19, Lamella 17/18, Son 16/17...

So. What's up?

Just a slow start to a season following a World Cup and lack of pre-season? I remember Eriksen having a rather slow start to a previous season (Think it might have been 15/16) and there were calls for him being dropped before he turned it up a gear.

New position? He usually tends to play further forward (Though usually up and down due to his work rate) but with Poch opting for 3 at the back at times and a 433, Eriksen has been finding himself a lot deeper.

Contract issues? Probably the least likely, but I wonder if the whole contract situation is playing on his mind?
Contract might be at least a bit factor. During that 15-16 season where he was not up to his usual level he was also involved in contract talks. And refound his form once a deal was reached. So most likely he just can't focus on just playing while negotiating.

So. What's up?

When he crosses the white line it should be removed.

I've never understood the whole idea of player's minds being turned by transfer/contract activity. I'd get it if there was a personal reason occupying their mind - there have been times I have played with mates knowing deep down I really don't want to be there, but it's a hobby for me. These guys are paid professionals. Playing football is their job and it's a luxurious job.

If I gave up at work and did fuck all no one else but my employer would know and care. If they give up half of the world knows and cares. Professional pride in the public light means you give it your best shot just not to be humiliated in front of everyone.

Depends what you mean by excellent... Lack of creativity was being moaned about, results weren't going our way.... Usually when he shines we shine.

Got 4 assists and 2 goals within our opening 7 games. It was the best start I remember from him. In fact, he was consistent all of last season. I don't really remember a down turn in his form.

So. What's up?

I said this in the ratings thread, but if you think about the slight change of his remit today, I think he was good today. He was playing a much more structured role, not free to roam around in that pocket between midfield and forwards.

I think the first three games he was pretty meh by his standards, but I also think we've been pretty chaotic in those three games as a team, I think we've played 4 different structures, no settled midfield or defence, and he invariably doesn't flourish when all around him is chaos, which I think is pretty normal for players like him, you give them a platform, not use them as one.

That said, I thought he was the one that knitted everything today, even if in a less spectacular way. Saw more ball than anyone bar Trippier, made more passes than anyone other than the CB's (who always make more passes) etc.

I wonder if off the pitch matters are on his mind, I remember a few seasons back there was a lot of talk surrounding whether he was going to sign a new deal or not, he was in awful at the time and people were questioning if his heart was in it. He then signed a new contract and was back to his best just like that.

I wonder if off the pitch matters are on his mind, I remember a few seasons back there was a lot of talk surrounding whether he was going to sign a new deal or not, he was in awful at the time and people were questioning if his heart was in it. He then signed a new contract and was back to his best just like that.

Definitely needs to get his new contract sorted ASAP. The uncertainty can only have a negative effect.

If he's asking for top money in line with Harry and Hugo then we need to give it to him. Otherwise this will be his last season with us.

Definitely needs to get his new contract sorted ASAP. The uncertainty can only have a negative effect.

If he's asking for top money in line with Harry and Hugo then we need to give it to him. Otherwise this will be his last season with us.

Why would we not give him the top money if that's all it is though? Surely its a no brainer? He's more valuable to us than Lloris (and I think Lloris is massively valuable)

One things for sure is that him, Kane and Dele don't currently have their mojos - and for us that's a big problem.

Not so sure it's the Spurs contract that's the issue ....

COPENHAGEN, Sept 3 (Reuters) - The Danish Football Association (DBU) is looking for replacements for regular national team players for this month's matches against Slovakia and Wales after contract negotiations broke down.

If the DBU fails to recruit players for the games, Denmark, who are ninth in the FIFA world rankings and reached the last 16 at this year's World Cup, could face expulsion from the 2020 European Championship.

"UEFA has been pretty clear about this," a DBU spokeswoman said. "That would be the worst-case scenario".

She could not say if the association had been successful in attracting lower-tier players to play in the team's matches this month.

The dispute is chiefly over the rights of players, including Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Christian Eriksen, to make individual sponsorship agreements with companies competing with national team sponsors. The players' travelling conditions are also an issue.

The DBU on Sunday rejected the players' offer to extend their existing contracts for the next two games which would have postponed further negotiations until after those matches.

The team are scheduled to play Slovakia in a friendly on Wednesday and Wales in a Nations League group stage match on Sunday.

Not so sure it's the Spurs contract that's the issue ....

COPENHAGEN, Sept 3 (Reuters) - The Danish Football Association (DBU) is looking for replacements for regular national team players for this month's matches against Slovakia and Wales after contract negotiations broke down.

If the DBU fails to recruit players for the games, Denmark, who are ninth in the FIFA world rankings and reached the last 16 at this year's World Cup, could face expulsion from the 2020 European Championship.

"UEFA has been pretty clear about this," a DBU spokeswoman said. "That would be the worst-case scenario".

She could not say if the association had been successful in attracting lower-tier players to play in the team's matches this month.

The dispute is chiefly over the rights of players, including Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Christian Eriksen, to make individual sponsorship agreements with companies competing with national team sponsors. The players' travelling conditions are also an issue.

The DBU on Sunday rejected the players' offer to extend their existing contracts for the next two games which would have postponed further negotiations until after those matches.

The team are scheduled to play Slovakia in a friendly on Wednesday and Wales in a Nations League group stage match on Sunday.
True. This is probably also a factor. This combined with contract talks and I can understand him not being fully focused.

Interesting stats post here about chances created and so forth.

Eriksen is off to a slow start and the stats confirm.

Interesting insight into Tripps and Kane as well.

Aguero, Salah and Mitrovic are so far the most 'active' strikers (an analysis of every Premier League player) : soccer

The most concerning thing for me regarding Eriksen is his lack of movement off the ball. He's usually so sprightly and always wants the ball yet this year his body language looks off. Not great but it could be because of his part played in Denmark going out of the World Cup or recently becoming a dad who knows.

Stats are good, but I could tell within the first 30 minutes against Newcastle that he wasn't going to have a good start to the season. We need him to get back to pulling those strings sharpish with the Liverpool game on the horizon

Back
Top Bottom