Chelsea away? - "Yids" story

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm a freelance journalist and I'm working on a long feature story about the controversy surrounding the crackdown on Spurs supporters identifying as "Yids." My hope is that the story will put the issue in its proper context, give some sense of the history behind Spurs' identification as "Yids," and also detail some of the motivations of those on all sides of the debate. At the moment, I'm looking for a few Spurs supporters who are headed to Chelsea away on Saturday who would be willing to meet up beforehand and talk about the "Yids" issue. I'll be heading over to Stamford Bridge myself so I'm happy to meet in pub/cafe/wherever on the way over. If you're going and are game to talk, please let me know. The story is for BuzzFeed and if you want some background on me just Google my name (David Peisner) and click on my website. If you're interested, please send me a direct message or contact me through my website. Thanks.

76c683183106c37df5de959d3c5c7494.jpg

With all due respect David, what will this achieve? Chelski and West Ham will continue to make hissing noises at games, mentioning Hitler etc, David Baddiel will get more air-time in the press and us Tottenham fans will get nicked for singing Yid Army.

This has been going on for years and we will still be discussing this pont in 10 years time.

With all due respect David, what will this achieve? Chelski and West Ham will continue to make hissing noises at games, mentioning Hitler etc, David Baddiel will get more air-time in the press and us Tottenham fans will get nicked for singing Yid Army.

This has been going on for years and we will still be discussing this pont in 10 years time.
Quite a legitimate point. I've been doing this too long to fool myself into thinking that a story is going to change too much legally/politically, but one thing a lot of Spurs supporters I have spoken to have said is that they feel like their perspective hasn't been very well represented. Hopefully, at the very least, I can do that. Also, with one Spurs supporter going to court on Monday over this issue, a lot of others are concerned over what they can and can't say anymore at/near a football ground or even to a journalist. Regardless of where you might fall on this issue, this is a very, very slippery slope in terms of free speech and free expression, and has to do with more than just Spurs supporters. I hope the story can also bring this to light.

Ultimately, I can't make any bigger promises than that, other than I'm not the worst guy in the world to have a beer with on your way to Stamford Bridge. If anyone is headed that way and wants to talk, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom