Champions League 2016/17

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Group Stage draw as it stands in order of seeding: (* for teams yet to qualify)

Pot 1:

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Leicester City
Bayern Munich
Juventus
Benfica
Paris Saint-Germain
CSKA Moscow

Pot 2:

Atlético Madrid
Bourissia Dortmund
Woolwich
*Manchester City*
Sevilla
*Porto*
Napoli
Bayer Leverkusen

Pot 2/3:

Basel
Tottenham Hotspur

Pot 3:

Dynamo Kyiv
Lyon
*Villarreal*
*Ajax*
PSV Eindhoven
Sporting CP

Pot 3/4:

*Viktoria Plzeň*
Club Brugge
*Red Bull Salzberg*
*Borussia Mönchengladbach*
*Roma*
*Celtic*
*Steaua București*
*Monaco*

Pot 4:

*APOEL*
Beşiktaş
*Legia Warsaw*
*Dinamo Zagreb*
*Ludogorets Razgrad*
*Young Boys*
*Copenhagen*
*Rostov*
*Hapoel Be'er Sheva*
*Dundalk*

Coefficient wise that means the easier draw still theoretically possible for is:

CSKA Moscow
Tottenham Hotspur
Monaco
Dundalk

And the hardest possible is:

Bayern Munich
Atlético Madrid
Tottenham Hotspur
Viktoria Plzeň

Another interesting thing we've seen so far in qualifying is far more eastern European teams going out than in recent years. It's likely to be a much more western and central Europe dominated group stage which reduces our likely travelling distance significantly.

Porto v Roma, hoping the Portuguese win this one.

Porto would go out and Plzen would jump in to pot 3 with Roma going in to pot 4. Potentially lose two good away trips and get Rome (and Basel) instead.

City's draw means it's pretty unlikely we have any chance of being seeded second. We'd need Porto and Manchester City to lose, can't see the latter going out to Steaua Bucharest.

Don't think I want to go to Rome, although I love the city, just not for football reasons. Lazio/Roma scum will attack our fans again, and I'm afraid their coppers will leave it 20 mins to do their best.

Don't think I want to go to Rome, although I love the city, just not for football reasons. Lazio/Roma scum will attack our fans again, and I'm afraid their coppers will leave it 20 mins to do their best.
Fortunately there aren't too many nasty trips in it. I'd love to go to the likes of Rome, Naples, Istanbul and Moscow at some point but I don't think I'd ever do it for football.

Hopefully as I said above Porto will win it which would be a much better away day and also mean Plzen stay in the 4th pot. I'd be happy with a trip to the Czech Republic.

Worst possible draw from a fans perspective has to be CSKA, Napoli and Besiktas.

Fortunately there aren't too many nasty trips in it. I'd love to go to the likes of Rome, Naples, Istanbul and Moscow at some point but I don't think I'd ever do it for football.

Hopefully as I said above Porto will win it which would be a much better away day and also mean Plzen stay in the 4th pot. I'd be happy with a trip to the Czech Republic.

Worst possible draw from a fans perspective has to be CSKA, Napoli and Besiktas.

I went to Besiktas and Istanbul with Spurs and with my then gf, not wife. That was before the chaos now though. I would consider it in the future, but will wait until it gets a bit calmer..

So in theory one of the groups could be
Leicester
Basil
Plzen
Dundalk

Am I reading that right ?

Only because it's Champions League it doesn't mean that all teams are better than the ones from Europa League.

From Pot 1 we are unlucky to be English. Perhaps Benfica or Moscow. Tbh. they are all very good.
Pot 2 Porto, Sevilla or Leverkusen. Basel if they get in.
Pot 3 we will be in that pot
Pot 4 perhaps avoid Copenhagen, Warsaw and Zagreb?

Only because it's Champions League it doesn't mean that all teams are better than the ones from Europa League.

From Pot 1 we are unlucky to be English. Perhaps Benfica or Moscow. Tbh. they are all very good.
Pot 2 Porto, Sevilla or Leverkusen. Basel if they get in.
Pot 3 we will be in that pot
Pot 4 perhaps avoid Copenhagen, Warsaw and Zagreb?
I'd fucking love Warsaw for an away day

So in theory one of the groups could be
Leicester
Basil
Plzen
Dundalk

Am I reading that right ?

Yep. The only thing that's even particularly unlikely about that is Dundalk getting through. It's a consequence of a change in the seeding system from last year. Previously, all pots were simply done by coefficient. Now, Pot 1 is the winners of the top 7 ranked leagues plus the holders - or the winners of the 8th best league if the holders also won a major league the previous season - and the rest are done by coefficient. So Leicester, a team who would previously have been in Pot 4, now get into Pot 1 as a reward for winning the title rather than just coming 2nd-4th. Basel and Plzen have just had some impressive European results in the last five years for a team of their reputation.

So if I'm understanding this whole process correctly, there's a real chance of getting stuck with Real+Juventus or Bayern+Atletico......:eriksenserious:
We wouldn't be able to play Real and Juventus as they're both in pot 1. Bayern and Atletico is a real possibility though.

Likewise you could have Borussia Monchengladbach and Roma in pot 4. Although some of the qualifying results would mess up pot 3/4 a little. Roma and Monchengladbach might sneak in to pot 3 which means we'd avoid them.

Unusually the draw is next Thursday rather than the Friday so not long until we find out. With the exception of Manchester City, Legia Warsaw and Celtic none of the qualifiers are that clear cut yet as to who is going through.

The whole fucking Lazio anti-semite horseshit still rubs me raw, though it was glorious to watch them get punched out of the tourney in an empty stadium. They are awful.

Back
Top Bottom