Can we still win the league?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In February?

Not a chance.

We’re talking about this stretch of 5 games and what it takes to make a statement about the title. I had thought 4 would be good, but as some others have pointed out, you’d need the 5 for a real statement.

Does that mean we’re out of the race? Clearly not, mathematically. I do think it’s an incredibly long shot, especially with City being City and the Dippers getting a massive lift from the Klopp thing.

We’re talking about this stretch of 5 games and what it takes to make a statement about the title. I had thought 4 would be good, but as some others have pointed out, you’d need the 5 for a real statement.

Does that mean we’re out of the race? Clearly not, mathematically. I do think it’s an incredibly long shot, especially with City being City and the Dippers getting a massive lift from the Klopp thing.

Oh right. Every game is a statement to me.

Today was a statement that we are on the right track but have to learn a lot to get the points in games like this.

Pretty much every game, win lose or draw, feels like the result could change in the final 10 minutes.

Sides that win leagues will have games like that, but more often than not will spend most of 2nd halves boringly knocking the ball sideways in a game both sides agree has already been decided.

We had been in touching distance almost until today. Ange's demeanour after the game I feel reflects that.

A point away there isn't a terrible result. Our recent form at Goodison reads as D-L-D-D-D-D but like a point away at United isn't a bad result, or a point away to Brentford, or a point away at Woolwich.. It's ok now and then, just not as often as we do it.

Add in our late defeats and we are just a level below title challengers but have done well to be around the mix this far in to the season - albeit partly due to the reduced form of City.

A win today would have set us up for the next 3 which are very winnable but dropping points like we did today probably stops a real challenge. It just means there’s no room for error in the next few so we can stay with the top 3.
The league is crazy though so we will see some upsets along the way. An ugly win today would have been amazing for us but it shows that you’ll get punished if you switch off. If we had won our whole outlook on here would be we can challenge for the title.

I think that’s it now , testament to Ange though that I still had a tiny bit of belief coming into February!
His first season in the premier league , with another decent summer window next year I am putting us as favourites!

No chance, too exposed and lack the ruthless edge to kill teams off, top four is the best we can get.
I agree but I’d rather be in our situation with Ange in his first season than the gooners in Lego heads what season?
It will take this team a while to become more ruthless and mature but for next season
Klopp is going so let’s see how long it takes them for the new manager to get it right , add in the fact we should be saying goodbye to Chelsea and City or at the worst Huge points deductions I’d say there is plenty to be positive about !

Meh. Liverpool lose tomorrow and we'd have made up a point on them this weekend.

By no, of course we're not going to win the league.

No chance, too exposed and lack the ruthless edge to kill teams off, top four is the best we can get.
TBH, going back to the beginning of the season all I wanted was a culture change, to see whether Ange was more Poch than Nuno, and hopefully the EL.

We're playing with house money as far as I'm concerned. We're consistently adding quality players and rebuilding a team with a new culture and identity. It's always been about making this team as good as it possibly can be in August 2024, and we seem well on that path.

TBH, going back to the beginning of the season all I wanted was a culture change, to see whether Ange was more Poch than Nuno, and hopefully the EL.

We're playing with house money as far as I'm concerned. We're consistently adding quality players and rebuilding a team with a new culture and identity. It's always been about making this team as good as it possibly can be in August 2024, and we seem well on that path.
I agree with the rebuilding process, no problem at all with that.
However the ability to self destruct, is still a Tottenham thing, whatever manager or system in place, it's the same, can't cope when put under pressure.

I agree with the rebuilding process, no problem at all with that.
However the ability to self destruct, is still a Tottenham thing, whatever manager or system in place, it's the same, can't cope when put under pressure.

If we couldn't cope when we are put under pressure we wouldn't be 5th right now, like we would have dropped points against Brentford in the week for example.

Do you hear yourself when you speak this absolute tripe, its embarrassing, stop being a wet wipe.

Back
Top Bottom