Can we still win the league?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s nothing to do with being edgy. We laughed at Woolwich for years for worshipping the top 4 trophy now we’re ready to worship the top 5 trophy?

We were out of contention for trophies so early. I’m not gonna be thrilled to hold on to fifth, sorry.

I’ll go ‘decent, next season now’ and move on. Like the fanbases of every traditional top 6 club would.

Villa fans will be loving it because it’s new for them.

Woolwich got laughed at because they were coming off the back of a period of domination and lowered their standards, we are coming off a period where we sold our best player and got a new coach who never stepped foot in this league and thus were expected to plateau as a result, the comparison is null and void.

From finishing 8th with the state our squad was in to CL football in a year represents progress, yet you think everyone should sit their under a grey cloud and moan because you're too cool for it.

You do you celebration police, at least you have a friend now so you can bask in each other's misery.

Woolwich got laughed at because they were coming off the back of a period of domination and lowered their standards, we are coming off a period where we sold our best player and got a new coach who never stepped foot in this league and thus were expected to plateau as a result, the comparison is null and void.

From finishing 8th with the state our squad was in to CL football in a year represents progress, yet you think everyone should sit their under a grey cloud and moan because you're too cool for it.

You do you celebration police, at least you have a friend now so you can bask in each other's misery.

Yet we’re constantly hearing about our amazing revenue and where we’re at as a club. Miss me if you think I’m gonna celebrate fifth while our biggest rivals thump teams 4-0 every week and contend for a title.

We were fourth literally the season before lol, why act like finishing fifth is some novel thing for us? It would’ve been viewed as a poor season at the start of last season FFS !! We haven’t even had a cup run to get excited about.

Nobody has to sit under a grey cloud. I’m pretty content with how things are going. I’ll just miss out the fist pumping, you feel free to do you. Given a few agrees it seems like multiple people feel the same way.

Thinking things are going pretty well and actively celebrating 5th and not going past the round of 16 in either domestic cup in a season without European distractions are two different things. It’s been alright mate. Nothing more or less.

Yet we’re constantly hearing about our amazing revenue and where we’re at as a club. Miss me if you think I’m gonna celebrate fifth while our biggest rivals thump teams 4-0 every week and contend for a title.

We were fourth literally the season before lol, why act like finishing fifth is some novel thing for us? It would’ve been viewed as a poor season at the start of last season FFS !! We haven’t even had a cup run to get excited about.

Nobody has to sit under a grey cloud. I’m pretty content with how things are going. I’ll just miss out the fist pumping, you feel free to do you. Given a few agrees it seems like multiple people feel the same way.

Thinking things are going pretty well and actively celebrating 5th and not going past the round of 16 in either domestic cup in a season without European distractions are two different things. It’s been alright mate. Nothing more or less.

Why do you keep using this term, no one has said this?

What I said is that CL football is an achievement and something to be proud of considering where we have come from last season, nothing more.

RE: 2021/22 Because you know how to use context right? You know that we finished 4th with a completely different team and have literally restarted to rebuild our team this season, again it's a non comparison.

If you're pretty content then I don't get the desperation to mock finishing in the CL places for our club, it's just weird.

Win our game in hand and beat Liverpool, then we need to make up 7 points on the top spot from 11 games.

COYS!

Why do you keep using this term, no one has said this?

What I said is that CL football is an achievement and something to be proud of considering where we have come from last season, nothing more.

RE: 2021/22 Because you know how to use context right? You know that we finished 4th with a completely different team and have literally restarted to rebuild our team this season, again it's a non comparison.

If you're pretty content then I don't get the desperation to mock finishing in the CL places for our club, it's just weird.

Fifth is not an achievement. It is the bare motherfucking minimum, especially when Chelsea and United are in crisis and will have new managers next season.

Fifth in a season where we basically only had the league? Barest of minimums and only then because the bar for CL footie has been lowered.

I’ll go good, CL football secured now let’s go and massively boost that wage bill and up the spending like our rivals so we can go for a title too. No excuses.

Fifth is not an achievement. It is the bare motherfucking minimum, especially when Chelsea and United are in crisis and will have new managers next season.

Fifth in a season where we basically only had the league? Barest of minimums and only then because the bar for CL footie has been lowered.

I’ll go good, CL football secured now let’s go and massively boost that wage bill and up the spending like our rivals so we can go for a title too. No excuses.

if 5th get CL football it's an achievement no matter how much you want to spin it.

This was your expectation at the beginning of the season and now you want to move the goalposts of misery...

As for hopes

-Top 6

- Enjoyable to watch

- Actually seeing some sort of progression throughout the season, both in terms of the team becoming more fluid, but also individuals clearly getting more confident and their game changing.

- A genuine go at the FA cup.

Actual expectations: A highly disappointing, 'make do' transfer window, some entertaining games when it clicks but a lot of haphazard performances still, and 8th/9th.

Whatever makes you feel better I suppose 😆

Yeah your right, maybe they could give us a top 4 medal. We could have "best participant" engraved on it.

Bet you Ange doesn't see it as an achievement. Has said as much in press conferences. He's interested in winning shit.
No we couldn't, unless we'd won the league, in which case we'd already have the premier league trophy.
Not quite so cool now, are we?

:ange-hmm:

if 5th get CL football it's an achievement no matter how much you want to spin it.

This was your expectation at the beginning of the season and now you want to move the goalposts of misery...

Whatever makes you feel better I suppose 😆

Did you not read hopes? An actual go at the FA cup.. not even close. And we didn’t even have a go at the league cup ffs.

I’ve said multiple times we’ve done better than expected. Doesn’t make it an achievement for a club with the highest revenue in London.

Again - progression yes. Something to celebrate? Nah mate, I’ll leave that to you.

Did you not read hopes? An actual go at the FA cup.. not even close. And we didn’t even have a go at the league cup ffs.

I’ve said multiple times we’ve done better than expected. Doesn’t make it an achievement for a club with the highest revenue in London.

Again - progression yes. Something to celebrate? Nah mate, I’ll leave that to you.

I don’t get why this take offends people…

Why would any Spurs fan disagree with this?

There you go again twisting my words you can't help yourself can you, no idea why you wanna throw up straw men, it's not really helping your case

RE: your prediction, you said that you expect us to finish 8th/9th so we are currently exceeding your expectations therefore you should be more than content, what you've done is move the goalposts accordingly because you're a miserable tart and see yourself as a vastly superior edge Lord compared to us superfans.

Must be difficult when we score goals and win matches knowing that you feel it's cringey to celebrate now that we can't win trophies :moursad:

There you go again twisting my words you can't help yourself can you, no idea why you wanna throw up straw men, it's not really helping your case

RE: your prediction, you said that you expect us to finish 8th/9th so we are currently exceeding your expectations therefore you should be more than content, what you've done is move the goalposts accordingly because you're a miserable tart and see yourself as a vastly superior edge Lord compared to us superfans.

Must be difficult when we score goals and win matches knowing that you feel it's cringey to celebrate now that we can't win trophies :moursad:

You’re accusing me of strawmen while creating your own strawmen .. it’s really impressive tbh.

My expectations were insanely low. What you’re trying to do is act like I’m saying I’m unhappy with the season when I’ve stated multiple times I’m not. It’s been fine. Progress has been made. We’re better than I thought we would be.

That doesn’t automatically translate to ‘achievement’ for me. It obviously does to you. The achievement part starts when the team pushes on even further and we challenge for the top tier trophies like a club with our revenue should be.

Not controversial to most fans I imagine tbh. I don’t think you’re fooling many at all with this misery police shit. Nobody is miserable, we’re just not over the moon. It’s okay as a fan to sometimes just be a bit in the middle when our current season overall has just been .. decent.

You’re accusing me of strawmen while creating your own strawmen .. it’s really impressive tbh.

My expectations were insanely low. What you’re trying to do is act like I’m saying I’m unhappy with the season when I’ve stated multiple times I’m not. It’s been fine. Progress has been made. We’re better than I thought we would be.

That doesn’t automatically translate to ‘achievement’ for me. It obviously does to you. The achievement part starts when the team pushes on even further and we challenge for the top tier trophies like a club with our revenue should be.

Not controversial to most fans I imagine tbh. I don’t think you’re fooling many at all with this misery police shit. Nobody is miserable, we’re just not over the moon. It’s okay as a fan to sometimes just be a bit in the middle when our current season overall has just been .. decent.

I'm just matching your energy fella ;)

Okay no worries, it's subjective so it's pointless going back and forth - obvious balance ot be had here.

I expect you to not celebrate any goals or wins going forward now, same for Richard Arlison Richard Arlison , in fact I don't want you either of you to crack a smile - you may clap politely when we score but I don't want to see any emotion until next season please, thank you.

Technically, yes.

Go Ahead Yes GIF

I'm just matching your energy fella ;)

Okay no worries, it's subjective so it's pointless going back and forth - obvious balance ot be had here.

I expect you to not celebrate any goals or wins going forward now, same for Richard Arlison Richard Arlison , in fact I don't want you either of you to crack a smile - you may clap politely when we score but I don't want to see any emotion until next season please, thank you.

A football match is a microcosm, when you’re watching it you’re just enjoying the game in isolation and the goals/wins as part of the match itself.

It’s not the same at all as viewing fifth as an achievement or not at the end of the season having weighed everything up. At all.

Nobody is saying you can’t enjoy moments .. I’ve enjoyed lots of moments this season, we’ve mostly been pretty fun which is a priority as a football fan.

TBF, you can't say we didn't have an actual go at the FA Cup. We drew the likely winners, the best squad in global football, very early on when we were missing several key players. They were missing some, too, but they have a much deeper squad thanks to years of financial doping and continuity in management/recruiting.

Back
Top Bottom